Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2014, 10:04 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,015,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I thought this one was a photo of a llama!
Ha! Clean your glasses!!

Old 03-07-2014, 11:27 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
Default My first retirement adventure

Am just getting used to this retirement lifestyle but while I was sitting at my table (not a desk ) having my properly prepared and healthy lunch (not catch as you can from a vending machine) I noticed that a female cardinal had gotten into my screen room and was flying up and down behind the palm tree trying to get through the screen to her mate who was hovering on the outside encouraging her.

Lots of swooping going on.

So I got the pool skimmer and scared her toward an open door and after much coaxing and me pretending to walk back inside she floated down and out the door to FREEDOM

So I feel that God has Blessed me and I hope the future mama bird goes through the day with no more difficulties.

Was glad that my hunting dog wasn't with me, it might not have ended so well.

Just had to share

Old 03-07-2014, 03:15 PM

419 posts, read 758,231 times
I suppose we should consider ourselves lucky if someone discovers our cold dead body in less than 6 years.

Mystery Surrounds Mummified Woman Found in Car at Michigan Home - NBC News

Old 03-07-2014, 04:35 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
That explains it - we're all a bunch of tulips.

Ummm ... I got two lips.

Old 03-07-2014, 04:59 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,755,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Ha! Clean your glasses!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Ummm ... I got two lips.
LMAO

Umbria, are you taking the horses when you move? Or is moving still hypothetical at this time?

33 out today. Time to wash that truck

Old 03-07-2014, 05:24 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,015,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
LMAO

Umbria, are you taking the horses when you move? Or is moving still hypothetical at this time?

33 out today. Time to wash that truck
I have no horses - these belong to a friend - but I have always wanted a horse. Need to find myself a rich horse ranch guy. But would take a llama too

Moving is a reality and never was hypothetical.

And Clarkpark - you are quite clever

Old 03-08-2014, 07:23 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,755,919 times
Awww, you're an auntie!!!!!!

Hmmmmmm, a handsome rancher, delightful!

Old 03-08-2014, 08:01 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
UMBRIA - so enjoyed the photos!!!!! Amazing stuff . . .

Old 03-08-2014, 08:31 AM

332 posts, read 504,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
I have the plant label in NY, so can't help with that specific one. There are many cold hardy varieties, I needed a dwarf for my postage stamp yard in NY. Look for clumping varieties and buy from a good nursery, I wouldn't trust labeling in the big box stores and risk inadvertent buying a running type. Become educated about bamboo and learn what will work for your climate and space, Bamboo is too beautiful of a plant to miss out on.

I've been bitten hard too, I bought two different ones the other day and am thinking about a third. I went to a local nursery here in FL that has mature stands of bamboo and I could see how they actually look full grown. Oh, the colors, sizes and shapes, I was in my element!
I did my bamboo research years ago at the height of one of my horticulture manias. Can't say that I recall a lot - like Lily Tomlin my mind is like Teflon, not much sticks to it. I think my conclusion was that what I was looking for doesn't exist. Oh my gosh that has a thematic twang to it - could be describing my entire life!

I don't just love the plant in all its variety - there is one that is black, one that is contorted, etc - but I love it as a material. Strength. Resilience. Beauty. Malleability. Very sexy material. It is used to build skyscrapers, but can be spun into a fine roving to produce an anti-bacterial fiber. Unfortunately it cannot be felted unless mixed with feltable fibers. Someday I'd like to cover a wall with bamboo stalks that have been split lengthwise. I wonder if cats would scratch at it. Hmm.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:36 AM

332 posts, read 504,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Are there any drought tolerant bamboos that would allow me to have an inpenetrable thicket? Could they handle a day or two, absolute maximum of four and pehaps five or six per year, of -20?
Bamboo Select | Fargesia murieliae - "New Umbrella"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement