Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2014, 06:50 PM

31,680 posts, read 40,970,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
For Umbria:
I Like Calling North Carolina Home (Song) - Sythe Cameron - YouTube

I may join you, with or without dh and the dogs. The grandgirls can join me in the summers.

Report on Asheville!
My SIL and BIL just spent Sat night with us after staying overnight in Ashville and visiting Biltmore.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
Umbria,

You will love Asheville --Right now I am in my new Asheville home, up on a nob, watching the sky get dark through the bare trees, now there are twinkling lights from houses up on the mountains across from me. So very quiet and peaceful.
Carolina skies are awesome and until today we had a few great ones. Nights and mornings in Spring and Fall are truly gifts from heaven.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Nc is fantastic
And my next home. Stay at ocean isle besch room overlooking the ocean so what csn be more perfect. Looked at eillkkngton and sll around this area -am in love with it
. One dog turned into the dog from hell on the way here-guess he didn't like mmy driving. More later. Leaving for ashvl tomorrow a.m. then home -can't wait to escspe. No problems except dog, getting lost-alot and one narrow escape -could have been a problem.

More later and meet me in ashv.

Oh ani i eaved when i drovr past the charlotte exit.

More later -hate this phoneh

st cs
Awesome and you should love it and I understand the typing on the phone problem.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:02 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,878,841 times
Just wanted to tell you guys something funny that happened today. I was on my way to work and got behind this little ol' lady doing 25 in a 35. I followed her for about a mile and we made it to the next long red light. As I was driving though I kept thinking, "Lady, could you GO any SLOWER???". Get to red light and see this little sign in her back window. It says..."Why YES, I CAN go slower!". Have to tell you that totally cracked me up and still does. But talk about comeuppance!!

Just thought you'd enjoy that...lol

WOW! I just noticed I now have TWO stars! Yay me...

Old 04-07-2014, 12:34 AM

7,572 posts, read 8,999,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Just wanted to tell you guys something funny that happened today. I was on my way to work and got behind this little ol' lady doing 25 in a 35. I followed her for about a mile and we made it to the next long red light. As I was driving though I kept thinking, "Lady, could you GO any SLOWER???". Get to red light and see this little sign in her back window. It says..."Why YES, I CAN go slower!". Have to tell you that totally cracked me up and still does. But talk about comeuppance!!

Just thought you'd enjoy that...lol

WOW! I just noticed I now have TWO stars! Yay me...
Cute story Congrats on the stars

Old 04-07-2014, 01:20 AM

Talking I'm back!

Yep - ole Cujo just didn't like this last new place and would bark the minute I picked up my purse until I had to give in and take him everywhere I went which meant I drove around a lot. So, I left @ 6:30 a.m. Sun morning and drove all day and got home at 12:30 a.m.

That darn dog actually tried to pick fights with every dog he saw - one was a pit mix and would have made mince meat out of him. . I almost made mincemeat out of him. Yes, Lenora - separation anxiety galore plus he's 10 - no new tricks for that dog. My other dog was great and I swear I saw her roll her eyes at him Cujo is so happy to be home - he went right to his bed and has stayed there. I kept calling him the dog pound dog.

I am tired but wired. Can't believe I made it all the way in one day - the last 2 hours were tough.

For those of you living in NC or from there - that is one fine state. Loved the coast and also loved Asheville. I'm feeling the coast wins but that could be because that trip to Asheville didn't turn out well.

I got 1 "bless your heart" from a woman at the welcome rest stop when I got a map and asked for directions. Her co worker walked up and asked if I had ever been there before~~~No~~~ and said then how would I know the roads. Put the old crone in her place.

My room had an ocean view - what a thing to wake up to in the morn. Went to Southport and it really is too cute but the traffic was unbelievable and it wasn't tourist season yet. Don't think I could live there - I will need more things to do.

I went to a couple fun fish places - at Calabash, the sea food capital. Very good and one place was so hidden you had to know it was there to find it.

Saw most of the communities along the coast and also went to Wilmington, which I really like.

Driving home today I saw a guy driving very slowly and as I passed him he had all theses rosaries hanging from his inside mirror. He was probably scared senseless behind that wheel on the interstate.

Then at a rest stop I saw the cutest couple - probably well into their 80s - she had a cane and they walked by holding hands - too cute. It was good NEG wasn't there or she would have taken their keys away

All our snow is gone - TG

I should go to bed - someone left this place a real mess so I have lots of work ahead of me. Oh, remember that new car I bought last Oct? Well, Cujo passed gas the entire trip - so much for the new car smell

Old 04-07-2014, 05:29 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,937,686 times
Welcome back to MN (wherever that is!! has the snow melted?). What a journey alone with two pets!

So Southport has a lot of traffic. Dang! Must have been discovered. Other than that, did you really like it?

Asheville...we had mixed feelings, mostly b/c of how remote it is. But I do know that folks outside of New England don't see distances the same as we do. When we lived in Mid-Missouri we thought nothing of driving 2 hours west to Kansas City or two hours east to St Louis for some event, roundtrip in a day. That is a BIG distance to New Englanders, who can touch all NE states in an hour and a half. We think driving a couple of hours is a major trip. So maybe Asheville isn't that isolated...

Looking forward to more observations when you've gotten some rest. At least you came home to spring (hopefully)... (–:

Old 04-07-2014, 05:58 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,361,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
So, I left @ 6:30 a.m. Sun morning and drove all day and got home at 12:30 a.m. .... I am tired but wired. Can't believe I made it all the way in one day - the last 2 hours were tough.

Umbria - I can't imagine doing over 1,000 miles in one long drive. A few years ago I did home to Carlisle, PA and back, 650 miles total, to get a new dog, and I was seeing double about half way back and had to catch a nap in a rest stop.

All our snow is gone - TG

I hope there's no more for you, that spring is there.

I should go to bed - someone left this place a real mess so I have lots of work ahead of me.
Don't you hate it when a gang of Messies breaks in to your place while you're gone and does that. It's happened to me more than a few times.

Take a good long rest, vacations can be so draining.

Old 04-07-2014, 06:18 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,729,200 times
Glad you're home safe, Umbria. Great report on NC.

LOL, y'all, plants? Not before Memorial day up here.

Have a great day!

Old 04-07-2014, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Favor to you who have/need a stylus - will you try a pencil eraser and tell me if it works?
(Can't find a darn pencil with an eraser in any of my boxes ...)
I need something for the Kindle

I just tried the eraser and couldn't get it to work. The stylus has a soft, pliable round tip and may have some magical qualities as well.

A hard eraser may damage the screen. They aren't expensive - can't remember exactly but perhaps around $10.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.