Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2014, 10:26 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,435,320 times

Advertisements

I just picked up a free Kindle book this morning - look at the topic, LOL

Quote:
"The Planner by Alexander Swann

Kris Mitchell is a victim of the economic downturn. Then, just when she has almost given up hope for a better future, an opportunity presents itself for her to become a Level 1 Planner for a newly created federal agency that will implement the Retire America Act of 2013.

After persuading her own aging parents to sign over all of their assets, Kris learns that the government’s plan to confiscate the wealth and property of America’s retirees in exchange for lifelong care in the Smart Seniors community has some serious downsides."
I have no idea if it is any good - haven't read it yet - it may be worth exactly what I paid for it. But I thought someone else in here might be interested

PS - Zugor - get well and feel better soon!

Old 06-26-2014, 12:30 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,763,632 times
That plot is scary conspiracy theory enough to make me think hard.........off to the Prepper forums

Old 06-26-2014, 01:14 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
That plot is scary conspiracy theory enough to make me think hard.........off to the Prepper forums
This one's not fiction; it's even scarier. After the assault on Ruby Ridge there was plenty of evidence to gain acquittals, even for the man who killed a federal agent. It was ruled self-defense. The entertainment media didn't exactly publicize it, but the government wasn't about to let it happen again. Watch this movie; Have your children andd grandchildren watch it with you. Cry for what was once the best and noblest country in the history of the world.

Come on over to the S-S & P forum. Some of the posters are foolish, but most are good people who simply wish to live private and virtuous lives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4scgRAJxWc

Old 06-26-2014, 01:26 PM

HiW, I'll have to wait awhile to rep ya, I wuv you, man. My heart aches for our country, but I haven't given up on her.

Old 06-26-2014, 02:43 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
I just picked up a free Kindle book this morning - look at the topic, LOL

I have no idea if it is any good - haven't read it yet - it may be worth exactly what I paid for it. But I thought someone else in here might be interested

PS - Zugor - get well and feel better soon!
Sounds like a pretty good book to me, and not fiction.

Old 06-26-2014, 02:52 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Cry for what was once the best and noblest country in the history of the world.
Well, that's certainly debatable. Not only that, but you are informed enough about history to know about the serious forms of social repression that have plagued this country from its inception, way before "Waco"—slavery, repression of peoples, witch trials in the colonies, and so on. The view that there was once one perfect country "under God" (and that it was ours) is a myth. But each of us will see what we will.

Old 06-26-2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Well, that's certainly debatable. Not only that, but you are informed enough about history to know about the serious forms of social repression that have plagued this country from its inception, way before "Waco"—slavery, repression of peoples, witch trials in the colonies, and so on. The view that there was once one perfect country "under God" (and that it was ours) is a myth. But each of us will see what we will.
When I was growing up I believed that I was truly fortunate to have been born in this country. Both the standard of living and the degree of freedom were extraordinary. I read of the fear people felt for the government in the Soviet Union and the countries it held in thralldom. I never feared the government here. Government agents didn't burst through the front door here killing family pets and dragging adults away into secret and indefinite detention. It didn't happen here because the government wouldn't have dared. We had a constitution; we were secure in our homes and property; we could say what we wanted with no fear of reprisal.

Then something happened. We saw an assault folllowed by a massacre in Waco. It didn't begin a trend, however, because two years later two men struck back in Oklahoma City. The government was afraid of the people. That's the way it should be; that's the mark of a free society. When the people fear the government, on the other hand, it's the mark of a tyrrany.

Today the government can go to Amazon and demand a list of the books you've bought. They can forbid Amazon from telling you that there was an inquiry. The government can arrest you and detain you indefinitely. They do it legally; the Fourth Amendment is gone. Government publications have described what they consider suspicious activities. These include such things as opposition to new gun laws, support for Ron Paul's write-in campaign, and definitely participation in the Tea Party. There is a plethora of documentation for this.

You may say that people who have these views need to be taught a lesson, that they have no rights. I saw a handbill in Detroit delaring that racists should have no right to free speech. This is the same sort of propaganda that government agencies spread with their allies in the various entertainment media. Members of both political parties in Congressss overwhelmingly supported legislation to gut the constitution. Torture is legal today. They try to sugarcoat it, but it's a fact.

This isn't the country where I spent my youth and even at a young age knew that the government better treat me as the boss. Now, in this travesty of a once great nation, I fear the government.

Last edited by Happy in Wyoming; 06-26-2014 at 04:40 PM..

Old 06-26-2014, 04:22 PM

applauding.........

Old 06-26-2014, 04:58 PM

That's the nicest response I've ever received to a post.

Old 06-26-2014, 06:35 PM

Awwww, shucks, Wyo (blush) , I save that one for the great posts, it's about time someone laid one on you............

off to watch Blazing Saddles

can you imagine Hollywierd producing such a thing now in this politically correct age?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement