Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2014, 11:04 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,763,632 times

Advertisements

must have been a crappy part of town. I hope you continued to rock the Jackie O look and the Benz.......

Old 07-15-2014, 11:08 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
must have been a crappy part of town. I hope you continued to rock the Jackie O look and the Benz.......
No, it was in a private parking deck, owned by the newspaper, with entry by a pass card, and for employees, only.

And yes, I basically have dressed the same way all my life. However, the older I get, the more likely I am to be in sweats and no makeup at home, for comfort. I should make more of an effort.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:09 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Interesting on social status and cars. Around here Buick & Caddys = elderly; Subaru = boomer/yup (I think most folks in Vermont drive a Sube); Honda CRV seems to be vehicle of choice for the Catholics (that is a broad sweeping unfounded statement I'm aware, but all the Catholics I know drive one); Audi, techies and Silicon Valley; BMW and Mercedes to project wealth; Jags the high rollers, etc etc.

People with "newer" high net worth in New England (like those who own half the town's commercial and residential rentals, etc) tend to dress way down (faded jeans and work shirts, old pickups); they seem to have no need to impress anyone and probably want to detract from their wealth. Their image is one of self-confidence and play-down. At any rate I guess I wouldn't do well with the snob factor in some places, even with my new Sube.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:25 AM

oh. And I should relay--I asked what type of upscale car would not broadcast "GOP" and was told--Volvo, new or old. The older the Volvo, the more likely the driver is a professor, lol.

aof course, this was 12 years ago--not sure Volvo evokes the same "intellectual" signal in 2014.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Interesting on social status and cars. Around here Buick & Caddys = elderly; Subaru = boomer/yup (I think most folks in Vermont drive a Sube); Honda CRV seems to be vehicle of choice for the Catholics (that is a broad sweeping unfounded statement I'm aware, but all the Catholics I know drive one); Audi, techies and Silicon Valley; BMW and Mercedes to project wealth; Jags the high rollers, etc etc.

People with "newer" high net worth in New England (like those who own half the town's commercial and residential rentals, etc) tend to dress way down (faded jeans and work shirts, old pickups); they seem to have no need to impress anyone and probably want to detract from their wealth. Their image is one of self-confidence and play-down. At any rate I guess I wouldn't do well with the snob factor in some places, even with my new Sube.
Things are soooo different i the South. What one chooses to wear distinguishes between blue collar and white collar, more than with wealth.

People who move in from the NE don't have a clue.

If you dress down here, it means you don't have a very upscale background--as that type of dress is not allowed at country clubs, lol.

And the big clue that a person is not from old money: short sleeve shirts (unless the Hawaiian type shirt).

Everyone has a truck or SUV for "every day." No one under 65 would be caught dead in a cadillac, except for sports celebs and gangstas (Escalade). Now, a Navigator is ok.

The car of choice: BMW.

The best Sweet 16 gift: Momma's used BMW.

Subarus are very popular in the mountains of NC. Students as well as residents of mountain counties often drive Subies, as well as Jeeps.

The wealthy part time residents with children drive Porsche Cayennes, BMW SUVs, Audi wagons.

The wealthy over 65 tend towards Lexus and Benzes, the occasional cadillac. Haven't seen a Lincoln Town Car around here in years.

Last edited by brokensky; 07-15-2014 at 11:46 AM..

Old 07-15-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post

I think it's a state law you have to drive a Subie or VW in VT to live there. Pretty sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
oh. And I should relay--I asked what type of upscale car would not broadcast "GOP" and was told--Volvo, new or old. The older the Volvo, the more likely the driver is a professor, lol.

aof course, this was 12 years ago--not sure Volvo evokes the same "intellectual" signal in 2014.
Volvo or Saab. And we all know what side teachers are, sooooooooo..........???

Quote:
Things are soooo different i the South. What one chooses to wear distinguishes between blue collar and white collar, more than with wealth.

People who move in from the NE don't have a clue.

If you dress down here, it means you don't have a very upscale background--as that type of dress is not allowed at country clubs, lol.

And the big clue that a person is not from old money: short sleeve shirts (unless the Hawaiian type shirt).

Everyone has a truck or SUV for "every day." No one under 65 would be caught dead in a cadillac, except for sports celebs and gangstas (Escalade). Now, a Navigator is ok.

The car of choice: BMW.

The best Sweet 16 gift: Momma's used BMW.

Subarus are very popular in the mountains of NC. Students as well as residents of mountain counties often drive Subies, as well as Jeeps.

The wealthy part time residents with children drive Porsche Cayennes, BMW SUVs, Audi wagons.

The wealthy over 65 tend towards Lexus and Benzes, the occasional cadillac. Haven't seen a Lincoln Town Car around here in years.
Word on the street years ago was Henry Ford was a huge anti semitic, in regards to your Town Car post. Just sayin'.

Please specify the short sleeve shirt style; I mat have to have a bonfire. Does this include my tee shirt from Tractor Supply that says high maintenance cowgirl?

Yeah, we are still clinging to our ways and not falling for the political correctness up nawth.

Southern girls still wear pearls. I can't wait.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:15 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,020,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post

Southern girls still wear pearls. I can't wait.
Oh good news finally. I have pearls - I fail in all other areas of acceptability Actually, I like being the nawthern REBEL.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:34 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
Do you mean I'd be considered nouveau riche because I wear button-down short sleeve sport shirts fom L.L. Bean? But you're saying Hawaiian shirts are considered the mark of the nobility?

N.B. I do not own a t shirt; I don't even know how to write it.

Old 07-15-2014, 04:02 PM

HiW, I would love to send you a Tractor Supply tee shirt with an American flag blazing across the front. I am wearing mine now.

What does N B stand for??????

Old 07-15-2014, 04:17 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,377,015 times
Here's a link to a little ditty about cars and their drivers from Bill Morrissey:

(Fans of the radio show Car Talk may recognize it)

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...Bill+Morrissey
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement