Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2014, 05:19 PM

22,634 posts, read 14,858,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

On one of my first days in the office, I drove my old (but well kept) black Benz to the office. I wore "typical" summer business clothing . . . navy blazer, white pants, red/white polka dotted silk blouse, navy/white spectator pumps, Jackie O sunglasses. Only jewelry: pearl earrings, gold charm bracelet.

Exquisite good taste in fashion!

I salute you!

Old 07-15-2014, 05:57 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,516,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
HiW, I would love to send you a Tractor Supply tee shirt with an American flag blazing across the front. I am wearing mine now.
I'm just not the type. I look like an L.L. Bean model, one a bit plumper and a lot balder than those in the catalogue.

Quote:
What does N B stand for??????
I used to see that all of the time, but I realize I haven't seen it in years. The phrase is Latin, nota bene. It means literally note well, meaning to pay particular attention to what follows. It's normally appended after a statement to clarify something. I guess it has disappeared from formal English like so much else, or perhaps formal English itself is disappearing.

Do folks here still use and understand what were once common abbreviations? Do you know the language of each? Can you write the words they abbreviate? Can you stump me with one?

i.e. // e.g. // R.s.v.p. // op.cit. // ibid. // F.R.S. // K.B. // etc. // et al. // & c. // q.v. // Mrs.

Old 07-15-2014, 06:01 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,093,118 times
Quote:
I think it's a state law you have to drive a Subie or VW in VT to live there. Pretty sure.

Volvo or Saab. And we all know what side teachers are, sooooooooo..........???

Word on the street years ago was Henry Ford was a huge anti semitic, in regards to your Town Car post. Just sayin'.

Please specify the short sleeve shirt style; I mat have to have a bonfire. Does this include my tee shirt from Tractor Supply that says high maintenance cowgirl?

Yeah, we are still clinging to our ways and not falling for the political correctness up nawth.

Southern girls still wear pearls. I can't wait.
A good Tee, teamed with the right pants or jeans (and jacket, for the Fall) is always good looking.

Old 07-15-2014, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Do you mean I'd be considered nouveau riche because I wear button-down short sleeve sport shirts fom L.L. Bean? But you're saying Hawaiian shirts are considered the mark of the nobility?

N.B. I do not own a t shirt; I don't even know how to write it.
Nope. Didn't explain that reference well.

In the South, the old money(and often carpet baggers, but that is another discussion) owned the factories.

The jobs were almost all blue collar.

By the last half of the 20th C, men with degrees (and MBAs) in such things as engineering, marketing, finance, manufacturing, etc held leadership positions in factories, as well as salaries over $100k.

People who worked in factories wore short sleeve shirts, so cuffs wouldn't get caught in machines.

People (young execs) who worked in the offices distinguished themselves with their clothing by wearing long sleeved shirts.

The only time an MBA would wear short sleeved shirts would be on the golf course, but those shirts are decidedly different than the short sleeve poly cotton blend shirts that folks wore.

The summer country club uniform is a seersucker suit, or navy jacket, white dinner jacket, etc. In WNC, folks look for "excuses" to wear their tuxes, too. And bow ties are popular.

Bermudas and long sleeved button down shirts are de rigeur, typically accompanied by boat shoes or cole hahn type loafers.

Artists, intellectuals wear LL Bean shirts and Carrhart in western NC. That look is always acceptable, with jeans, hiking boots, boat shoes, etc. Depends on what you are outside doing. Fishing? Hiking? Golf? Boating?

And you will see folks getting out of Porsches with that look, as well as the thin wale corduroy shirts in cooler weather.

Of course, this is overly simplified!!! But it is a basic overview.

PS. Authentic Hawaiian shirts can be fun with bermudas, white or khaki, especially at a BBQ or on a boat. Some folks even pair them with a nice jacket in the evening. It is tricky to pull that look off, though.

Last edited by brokensky; 07-15-2014 at 06:39 PM..

Old 07-15-2014, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Exquisite good taste in fashion!

I salute you!
It is basically just a uniform. Everything mixes and matches.

When I moved to the midwest, I quickly realized my wardrobe was too colorful, lol. Shoes, too.

I typically like "resort collections" -- and no one wore that sort of thing. And I thought eyeballs would burst when I wore gold shoes, lololol. I was raised that an expensive pair of gold shoes (flats or sandals) was chic with resort wear, around town or out for the evening. The whole time I lived in Kansas City, I never saw a pair of gold anything. much less bronze or silver. I learned the thing was black. Especially mixed with off white.

It was fun coming back to NC and rebuilding my resort style wardrobe--linens, silks, cottons, and fun prints. And gold shoes, lol.

Old 07-15-2014, 06:38 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,898,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
Here's a link to a little ditty about cars and their drivers from Bill Morrissey:

(Fans of the radio show Car Talk may recognize it)

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...Bill+Morrissey
Which link within this link?

Old 07-15-2014, 06:44 PM

All this convo about fashion, while I sit here in my purple sweat pants and gray sweatshirt, socks and crocs, wayfarers on my head and hair messily gathered in a banana clip.

My family would be amused, lolololol.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:04 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,346,421 times
Hopefully got it right this time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YevrGtidvpM

Old 07-15-2014, 07:07 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,898,619 times
I want the Dodge slant 6 and I don't care who sees me in it.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:11 PM

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7tGuJ34062s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.