Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2014, 01:26 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,760,165 times

Advertisements

Pinochle is waaay coool, my grandparents taught me when I was a tween. My folks and I would go visit and'Jaime' grandpa would make the adults Pink Ladys. We would play from afternoon into the evenings. I could never figure out as the evening went on why I would start winning.....

Our cool front has moved in, negirl, hang in there.......

Scary lightning story, in_ne.......

I dunno about a 55+ community. BIL has lived in one in CT and now Spanish Lakes in Port St. Lucie and he loves it. They first moved into one when his DW turned 55, he's younger.
My dad loves Sun City Hilton Head. I can't wait to visit.

Wouldn't it be like a commune or kibbutz? The stories eminating out of The Villages are funny!

old_cold, are you leaving NY permanently?

Cleaning like mad, mom due on Thursday, of all days to travel (911)

Old 09-07-2014, 03:04 PM

517 posts, read 1,092,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I'm sure some of you have shared the work-intensive, frustrating, often baffling sometimes a little bit fun, experience of a large tag/garage/moving sale.
I am going to be flying out of here with two suitcases and everything in and around the house has to be gone so everything was priced with that in mind, short of giving things away...although I did plenty of that.
One thing that kept cropping up while people were 'rejecting' things was that they will go to the Dollar store and happily shell out $1 each for example, plastic or cheap wine glasses , but then object to 4 crystal ones at $5!

After a full 9 hour day with people in and out constantly, there still sits unsold, 5 brand new, still tagged pair of leather shoes at $2 each. Pretty regular size, rather standard styles.
There were 3 new quarts of transmission fluid at $1 each and when my son counter-offered $2 for all to a $1.50 offer, the guy said "No!" and tromped off.

This week of hauling, lugging, and "stocking the shelves" plus , so far, one long day of "retail", I do know that I am glad to be a retired senior that hopes nothing in my life will change that requires a full time job!
Especially one that would require working with the general public!
People who go to yard sales do go looking for deals, but it's hard to imagine that introducing a negative vibe into the situation is worth the pennies they may save (especially as there are amazing deals to be had without haggling). I'm not saying never make a lower offer (I personally wouldn't, because often people holding yard sales are in a situation where circumstances are dictating they give up things that under other circumstances they might rather keep, but I know for some people, that thought hasn't occurred to them, and bargaining is part of the fun).

But there's pleasant "gently testing the limits" and then there's being a jerk. We apparently have a finite supply of telomeres to try to allocate wisely, and so maybe this is a place where we can afford to avoid stressing.

I had one of the coolest, most fun bidding wars ever once when I latched onto a neighbor's yard sale to sell a few items.

The buyer started it--I just followed his lead. We were role-reversal bidding--what fun!

Him (re item marked $1.50): "The absolute most I will give you for that is $2. I'm not even sure it's really worth that, but I will be kind." Me (startled, but then light dawning): "Sorry, no way. That is one superlative item, and the very least I will take for it is $1.25 and that is doing you a huge favor." Him: "Come on, you need to be reasonable here. $2.50 is my final offer; take it or leave it." Etc.

Made my day!

Old 09-07-2014, 06:51 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,967,545 times
"A coming of age movie for old people" – Ruth & Alex

>>> Plot Summary: Based on the acclaimed novel "Heroic Measures" by Jill Ciment, "Ruth & Alex" tells the story of one eventful weekend in the life of Ruth (Keaton) and Alex (Freeman), an aging New York couple who have finally decided to sell their East Village apartment of 40 years. They fear that they are getting too old to climb the stairs, and Ruth's realtor niece has convinced them that they can make a small fortune on the sale. Alex, an artist, and Ruth, a former schoolteacher, are enticed by the prospect of suddenly having more money than they ever dreamt possible. But as they prepare for the open house, the couple's beloved little dog gets sick and has to be taken to an animal hospital, and New York City suddenly goes on high alert when a truck gets stuck in the Midtown tunnel and the driver flees the scene. Over the course of one hectic weekend, Ruth and Alex are swept along as every shift in the breaking tanker story makes the real estate market spike and trough. As the bids fly, Ruth and Alex reflect upon on all the memories that they have shared in their home during the course of 40 happy and fulfilling years together, and they realize that sometimes happiness can't be measured as easily as square footage or asking prices.

Trailer:
Coming Soon!

Old 09-07-2014, 11:03 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
"A coming of age movie for old people" – Ruth & Alex

>>> Plot Summary: Based on the acclaimed novel "Heroic Measures" by Jill Ciment, "Ruth & Alex" tells the story of one eventful weekend in the life of Ruth (Keaton) and Alex (Freeman), an aging New York couple who have finally decided to sell their East Village apartment of 40 years. They fear that they are getting too old to climb the stairs, and Ruth's realtor niece has convinced them that they can make a small fortune on the sale. Alex, an artist, and Ruth, a former schoolteacher, are enticed by the prospect of suddenly having more money than they ever dreamt possible. But as they prepare for the open house, the couple's beloved little dog gets sick and has to be taken to an animal hospital, and New York City suddenly goes on high alert when a truck gets stuck in the Midtown tunnel and the driver flees the scene. Over the course of one hectic weekend, Ruth and Alex are swept along as every shift in the breaking tanker story makes the real estate market spike and trough. As the bids fly, Ruth and Alex reflect upon on all the memories that they have shared in their home during the course of 40 happy and fulfilling years together, and they realize that sometimes happiness can't be measured as easily as square footage or asking prices.

Trailer:
Coming Soon!
I usually like coming of age movies but is this one sad and sentimental? That's all I'd need, a tear jerker.

Old 09-08-2014, 10:07 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
Has everyone seen ''batteries not included''? There are a couple of entertaining oldsters in it. It's a very pleasant film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJmvsb13dA8

Am I the only one with a good chance of snow this week?

Old 09-08-2014, 10:26 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
It has cooled some here but still is 58 F right now (noonish) at my altitude. Don't expect to see snow for a while.

Old 09-08-2014, 10:29 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
If you haven't seen this movie, I have watched it 2 x over the years and really enjoyed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alIq_wG9FNk

Old 09-08-2014, 11:26 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,760,165 times
HiW, love that flick, love love love it. Unfortunately, yes, I believe you are the only one with snow forecast. Are you ready?

Old 09-08-2014, 12:17 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
If you haven't seen this movie, I have watched it 2 x over the years and really enjoyed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alIq_wG9FNk
That one looks like fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
HiW, love that flick, love love love it. Unfortunately, yes, I believe you are the only one with snow forecast. Are you ready?
I'm ready for a pleasant little snow shower since the temperatures will be returning to the sixties by week's end. I need a couple of months to prepare my self for subzero. But I presume I'll survive; I always have.

The 8-14 day forecast shows above normal in the west and below normal for the east except Florida. The prediction there is above normal.

Old 09-08-2014, 02:37 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,189,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post

old_cold, are you leaving NY permanently?
Yes and from this talk of snow^^^^ , if one house had to go, it sure was going to be this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement