Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2014, 04:58 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,560,595 times

Advertisements

1) Be late returning them and don't answer your phone.

2) Don't pick them up at the appointed time. If she brings them to you, don't be home or answer your phone. Tell her the next day that something came up, but offer no explanation.

3) Tell her how much they love playing alone in your front yard.

I'm sure that the good folks here can think of more.

Old 09-17-2014, 05:50 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,258,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
In bringing the twins back to her work place a few days ago for a quick transfer to her car, DIL dropped a hint about an addition to the family (in the planning stage only, she assured me). "So do you want the twins on Monday with the baby or the twins on Monday and the baby on Friday?" You could have knocked me over with a feather. NO WAY. Yes to the two girls, no to anything else. I am just about surviving the one day a week with the "search and destroy" kids and their high energy level for mischief.
LOL. Yes, that would be a lot to manage (3 at a time!). When there is another little one, though, I will bet you will want to negotiate some one-on-one time. The twins will be grown up and going off to pre-school in the flash of an eye!

Old 09-17-2014, 08:18 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,937,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
1) Be late returning them and don't answer your phone.

2) Don't pick them up at the appointed time. If she brings them to you, don't be home or answer your phone. Tell her the next day that something came up, but offer no explanation.

3) Tell her how much they love playing alone in your front yard.

I'm sure that the good folks here can think of more.
Haha, you are more devious than I thought.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
LOL. Yes, that would be a lot to manage (3 at a time!). When there is another little one, though, I will bet you will want to negotiate some one-on-one time. The twins will be grown up and going off to pre-school in the flash of an eye!
The twins went from babyhood to kidhood overnight, I am just amazed. (I have total amnesia regarding my own children at this age.) They are just too much, too funny, too mischievous, too demanding, too much energy. My body is old. I've got to get more energy somehow. And visiting with an infant is different than being a caregiver. We are thinking we ought to move to Maine, rather soon.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:14 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,727,858 times
Negirl, ramp up those vitamins. Bee pollen for muscle strength and retaining muscle. B vitamins for energy. Just a suggestion......

Take them on a long walk. My mom can outwalk me like the Dickens, she does a mile every day.

Tractor Supply just got the tot sized rakes and shovels in. My niece loved hers at 7-8 y.o. It's a great time of year to be out in the yard, raking, planting mums. Any good grandparent will neatly disguise chores as play.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:31 AM

4,528 posts, read 3,732,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
The twins went from babyhood to kidhood overnight, I am just amazed. (I have total amnesia regarding my own children at this age.) They are just too much, too funny, too mischievous, too demanding, too much energy. My body is old. I've got to get more energy somehow. And visiting with an infant is different than being a caregiver. We are thinking we ought to move to Maine, rather soon.
HaHa, sometimes you just need a little kick to get going.

As far as babies, they are easy for a while. My first year in FL I had our grandson and he was in what my DS calls the pet rock stage: sleep, eat, diapers. He was just walking when we left as I handed the reins over to the other grandparents. OMG was that great timing!
Of course twin babies probably were not be as peaceful.

Stamina is an issue and I find it takes a couple of weeks to build back up when I come to FL from NY. As busy as I stay there with walking the dog, gardening etc., it's not like watching kids. My grandson is two and is always busy but he is happy to entertain himself with Thomas trains, puzzles and loves being outside, so he's an easy kid overall.

My five year old granddaughter was not as easy the past two years; a bit of a drama queen and lots of meltdowns. She's started kindergarten this year and it's like she grew up overnight: she's evened out and wants to be independent. She helps out at home and with her brother. She's like a different child.

She and I have a date tonight. DIL got two tickets for us to see the play Alice in Wonderland at our local theatre this evening. I'm so excited. And DIL is one smart cookie; I think she's realized I've bonded more with our grandson because I had him as a baby, while the other grands bonded more with our granddaughter because they had her as a baby. So she's making a special time for my granddaughter and me. Best DIL I could have asked for!

Last edited by jean_ji; 09-18-2014 at 08:49 AM..

Old 09-18-2014, 11:36 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,727,858 times
Enjoy, Jean_ji! That sounds like a nice evening. LOL 'pet rock stage.'

Old 09-18-2014, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post

Tractor Supply just got the tot sized rakes and shovels in. My niece loved hers at 7-8 y.o. It's a great time of year to be out in the yard, raking, planting mums. Any good grandparent will neatly disguise chores as play.
Great idea! I'll get them digging their own little garden where they can plant pumpkins next spring. Why didn't I think of that.

Old 09-19-2014, 06:13 AM

4,528 posts, read 3,732,457 times
The Alice play was wonderful last night, what a great time for my granddaughter and me. The cast was entirely kids aged 6-15 and they were amazingly talented. They used the smaller theatre in the facility that seats around 100 and it was sold out. I can see more plays there in my future.

On the way there my granddaughter said, from the back seat: "Grandma, you know when you pick we up at school tomorrow? You may not want to kiss me because we have snacks right before and I might be salty."
Ah, a diplomat in the making. I won't embarrass her in front of her school mates. I thanked her for being thoughtful.

Last edited by jean_ji; 09-19-2014 at 07:15 AM..

Old 09-19-2014, 11:15 AM

26,650 posts, read 28,557,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
The Alice play was wonderful last night, what a great time for my granddaughter and me. The cast was entirely kids aged 6-15 and they were amazingly talented. They used the smaller theatre in the facility that seats around 100 and it was sold out. I can see more plays there in my future.

On the way there my granddaughter said, from the back seat: "Grandma, you know when you pick we up at school tomorrow? You may not want to kiss me because we have snacks right before and I might be salty."
Ah, a diplomat in the making. I won't embarrass her in front of her school mates. I thanked her for being thoughtful.
That is so cute! She sounds like a nice kid too, thinking of your feelings. I love the "pet rock stage" comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.