Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2014, 05:38 PM

7,042 posts, read 6,292,162 times

Advertisements

Thanks to everyone for directing me how to do private messaging. I really appreciated the help.

Old 12-16-2014, 07:10 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Same here. I've never entered either.
Me either.

It just feels too intrusive . . . giving up anonymity. But that is just me and I am a little odd about such things.

If it were a matter of sending a coupon via email, then that is okay but you would have to provide more details for a check . . . just out of my comfort zone.

Old 12-16-2014, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I find it very pleasant and comforting for folks here to talk about death ... even in context of a beloved pet.

Of course we all have to die.

I always say that the experience of seeing our grandparents and their siblings die, then that of our parents and their siblings, and finally members of our own generation pass away one by one is a positive learning experience - it helps us prepare for our own demise.

Growing old is a privilege. It is not afforded to everyone.

To paraphrase Walt Whitman, if you want to find me look at the dust on the soles of your shoes ... every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
That's a beautiful sentiment, Clark. Thank you for sharing it.

Old 12-16-2014, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
No worries - my sweet cat will go to sleep (via an injection to make him unconscious) on my lap, at home in our favorite chair. Then the vet will gently lift and move him to the next room to give him the final injection. We did this with our last 2 cats, ages 19 and 15.

Once they turn about 12 years old, we quit taking them to the vet's office because he does house calls for everything short of surgery and x-ray. Luckily none of ours has ever needed those. If, as planned, we foster senior cats, they'll get the same pampering.

As a human, I'd LOVE to have the same treatment, i.e., house calls for treatment and finally gentle euthanasia at home when the time comes.
What a wonderful Vet!

So hard to let my sweet furkids go but how blessed I have been with each of them.

My "baby" turned 12 last week. She has endured a lot of health challenges and never complained. She is so stoic and sweet natured. Two surgeries this past year. We were told she wouldn't see another Christmas at Thanksgiving of last year. Then in June, she had stomach tortion and we were told the surgery would be expensive and the success rate was less than 1 % - so the most humane thing would be to euthanize her. Well, I just had a feeling she would beat the odds. She had the surgery and the Vet called during surgery (there were 3 vets operating on her - emergency clinic) and said - we can't believe it - but it appears she may be the one dog we have seen pull through this!.

That was the end of June. And yes, she pulled through.

She is so enjoying the Christmas lights outside.

Hard to let them go, but when her time comes, I hope I will be able to send her off as peacefully as you will with your dear cat, BISCUITMOM.

Old 12-17-2014, 09:52 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,760,165 times
OMG, who poisons a dog in Minnesota????????? That's terrible.

Great story about the surgery, ani.

Old 12-17-2014, 03:54 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,939,765 times
Talking about pets ...

I sometimes see people walking their dogs in winter and the dogs are wearing cute little "sweaters." Recently, however, I notice the "sweaters" tend to be light weight knitted material with some sort of holiday design or colorful stripe and it's really just a piece of cloth that fastens underneath. How much warmth does that provide? Can it be it pleases the owner more to make their doggie look cute; and the amount of comfort or warmth to the animal is negligible??

Years ago when I had my little Shetland Sheepdog I did not have to worry about that critter getting cold. Shelties have a double coat of fur which insulates them well.

Old 12-17-2014, 06:18 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Quote:
Talking about pets ...

I sometimes see people walking their dogs in winter and the dogs are wearing cute little "sweaters." Recently, however, I notice the "sweaters" tend to be light weight knitted material with some sort of holiday design or colorful stripe and it's really just a piece of cloth that fastens underneath. How much warmth does that provide? Can it be it pleases the owner more to make their doggie look cute; and the amount of comfort or warmth to the animal is negligible??

Years ago when I had my little Shetland Sheepdog I did not have to worry about that critter getting cold. Shelties have a double coat of fur which insulates them well.
hahahahaha, I know it! Lots of people think their dogs are their babies so they like to dress them up. As long as the dog doesn't mind, I think it's fine. My dog? You can get him into his cute raincoat, problem is he won't go wee wee when he's wearing it. The entire point of taking him for a walk when it's pouring out and you'd much rather stay in is for the wee wee (or poo) aspect so trying to make him wear his raincoat is self defeating. Smart dog.

Old 12-17-2014, 06:46 PM

7,042 posts, read 6,292,162 times
Cc, when I bought my house I didn't realize there was a section 8 house at the end of the street because the people who lived there were really nice. Then they moved & the next succession of families were downright scary. One had a daughter that stole anything in your yard (I caught her taking my lawn mower, marched right over there & took it back). They soon moved & the next group that lived there had a bunch of teenage boys. They always laughed at Buddy & would comment on his not being a real dog. Buddy was a Pekineese. He was small & cute & the neighbors all loved him. Except that bunch. I couldn't prove they did it, but that is my guess.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:45 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,593,857 times
Quote:
... How much warmth does that provide? Can it be it pleases the owner more to make their doggie look cute; and the amount of comfort or warmth to the animal is negligible??

It does work, like wearing a sweater under a lighter coat for added warmth. It keeps the dog's body heat around the dog. Short-haired dogs, especially, need coats when they go out in cold weather. And sometimes they need 'boots' if they're out in icy sleet.

Old 12-18-2014, 02:28 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,760,165 times
So sad, meo. My heart breaks for you.

I would love to have a dogg to dress up. I did manage to bet a Santa hat on Trouble cat, he even posed fpr pics.

Ollie didn't like the four leaf clover tee shirt........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement