Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2015, 06:29 PM

4,536 posts, read 3,752,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Different direction. Talk of light snow tomorrow. Shouldn't stay but still. High of 33°. Brrr.

Ah well, knew it was coming. I'm glad it's my "no spend month". Part of that is using things in the freezer & pantry before buying more. So I'll have more room for winter mainstays which include a lot of soups, stews and chili.

Just thought I'd share all this so those of you in warm states can chuckle.
It's been in the mid 80's to 90's since September in SWFL. It's finally starting to moderate down, I've had the sliders to the screened lanai open the past few evenings. The cat promptly caught and ate an anole (small brown lizard) that came in with a plant I brought into the lanai for filtered light. She threw it up later. Blech!!

Coming home tonight, I saw my first fully decorated house with Christmas lights blazing. My grandson had asked for some tunes in the car today. I came across the Suncoast radio station that plays 24/7 Christmas music. Oh my!

Old 11-11-2015, 08:27 PM

7,036 posts, read 6,287,208 times
I may probably take this back, but tonight I am quite content. Looking around my apartment, I have made it a home. I even look forward to the first snow after Thanksgiving and putting up Christmas decorations.

Oh my gosh, I must be Minnosation.

Old 11-12-2015, 05:09 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,901,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
Wondering how Curm's flight and then return drive to the Ozarks has been. Also wondering where in the world AZDesertBrat has disappeared. Wonder if she hitched a ride with Curm
I'm here...sometimes. Been going through a bit of depression and not in much of a 'talky' mood. This is not like me at all but it'll pass. The holidays this year are not going to be easy, not looking forward to it at all. I'd be happy to just hibernate till Jan. 2nd.

Old 11-12-2015, 09:13 AM

4,536 posts, read 3,752,456 times
I went to the beach this morning to take photos of a beach themed shawl I had finished. I had an audience of retired old farts.... they were watching an eccentric old woman taking photos of a shawl. Whether they were kicked out by their wives for the day or escaped before they were handed a list of chores is hard to say. Of course they may have been utilizing free will or are single and were just enjoying a morning at the beach too. I would have never given this much thought until I read some of the threads here.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	56
Size:	2.54 MB
ID:	161038

Last edited by jean_ji; 11-12-2015 at 09:39 AM..

Old 11-12-2015, 09:33 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,053,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I'm here...sometimes. Been going through a bit of depression and not in much of a 'talky' mood. This is not like me at all but it'll pass. The holidays this year are not going to be easy, not looking forward to it at all. I'd be happy to just hibernate till Jan. 2nd.
Hi AZDB; I am there with ya ! Hate holidays. I always wish I had the good old days back, with parents and grandparents and little kids at the table, telling stories, laughing, having fun. It's a fantasy that everyone else has this on Thanksgiving and Christmas but I still want it and it's gone. Better to live in the present than the past, but this is so hard for me. Just know that there are alot of others who feel the same way. Best to keep busy and be glad for what we have.

I say "Abolish All Holidays !!!"

Old 11-12-2015, 10:00 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,110,417 times
AZDesertBrat: This can be a pretty miserable time of year. I'm sending ((((hugs))))) your way. In the past I've felt a lot like you are feeling now. I think so many years have passed feeling that way that I am more or less "used to it." This year I'm going with a neighbor to a church Thanksgiving dinner. Christmas I have no plans and want to keep it that way. No $$ for gifts, not in several years. Don't even send cards anymore. So I'm a cheapskate. But I know my situation better than anyone else.
So will go to the library and borrow a few movies, cook a turkey breast and some other stuff, and spend the day watching movies and eating turkey. I love January 1. It's a fresh start and I never know what the new year will bring. I feel excited about that!

Old 11-12-2015, 10:47 AM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I am feeling the same way! Feel so blah. Thinking maybe it is the weather? I was reading a thread on the Psychology forum and decided to start taking Vitamin D plus a regular multi-vitamin.

I really should have nothing to bring me down. Maybe I'm just not getting enough sleep. Just not feeling it this year.

Old 11-12-2015, 11:30 AM

7,036 posts, read 6,287,208 times
Beautiful shawl, Jean.

Thanks for the reminder about vitamin D. Last year I was really, really tired & a test showed I had almost no vitamin D. I felt much better when she put me on mega doses until I caught up. Now I have to remember to take it, especially on cloudy days, like today.

Old 11-12-2015, 12:09 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,189,978 times
Hello AZDB -- Good morning from one of your counterparts, living down in Glendale. I understand how you feel, sometimes life gets overwhelming and it's nice to retreat for a bit, like we re-charge batteries. I have been off for a bit, too, as I have been sick and having munchkin issues pop-up!

I'm thinking you were pretty busy yesterday, working at Wal-Mart, and being busy certainly does make the day go by faster. But take care of yourself and try to stop and smell, well, the pine needles. We are not planning much for Christmas, as my mom is in declining health. I do not think she would be up to a trip to my daughter's house. But my SIL's mom & stepdad will be here visiting, and I'm sure we will be able to squeeze in some merriment. This is a joy because last Christmas she was undergoing cancer treatment and it worked!

Anyway, I know you will be busy. Try to take a break and visit with us here. BTW, how much are the turkeys selling for up there [Norbest]? They seem to be in the 70's [cents/lb] range down here.

Old 11-12-2015, 04:36 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post

We know old listings get stale so we'll be doing a pocket listing for the first several months or so.
What is a pocket listing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement