Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2016, 02:46 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,667,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
No thank you.

This former Minnesotan's memory of a perfect white Christmas was one year when we had no snow on the ground and Christmas morning we had white everywhere.

A thick hoar frost covered all the trees and bushes.
Too late anyway. Snow melted and that changed to ice. Ice skating anyone?

Your description of the perfect white Christmas paints a beautiful picture though.

Old 12-22-2016, 03:24 PM

7,041 posts, read 6,291,056 times
It sure does!

Old 12-22-2016, 07:37 PM

2,061 posts, read 1,957,912 times
Default Merry Christmas retirement forum

2016 has been a surreal year for us in many ways. Like Tuborg we are doing well. Politics have stressed us because we believe in science. We marvel at the absurdity ( in our opinion - of certain cabinet picks, such as Rick Perry following an MIT PhD, and a Noble Loriate - OMG) of course I'm married to a theoretical nuclear physicist- so this just blows my mind.

We are fortunate, living in a blue bubble. We are charitable, we volunteer, have made many friends, have a loving family, are healthy, and active. So far so good in our retirement. But no one knows what tomorrow may bring.

New York Gal asks if we believe in a higher power. I know that there is " something else" having had a near death experience-- and if not--the end is very pleasant.

We are having a nice dinner at the Biltmore Estate, on Christmas Eve. Then we are hosting an afternoon drop in eggnog and snack open house, for our neighbors on Christmas day.

Old 12-22-2016, 07:57 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,017,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post

New York Gal asks if we believe in a higher power. I know that there is " something else" having had a near death experience-- and if not--the end is very pleasant.

We are having a nice dinner at the Biltmore Estate, on Christmas Eve. Then we are hosting an afternoon drop in eggnog and snack open house, for our neighbors on Christmas day.
This sounds wonderful - I bet the Biltmore is packed.

I had a rather interesting conversation this summer with some Jehovah's Witnesses that stopped by while I was outside. The second time they stopped (we will save her!!) it got even more interesting when I went into a similar spiel. They promised to never stop by again - maybe it was my speech on all the religious hypocrites I have come in contact with - I gave lots of examples. We even discussed Prince - they seemed very open minded even though I was rather blunt.

Old 12-22-2016, 08:01 PM

7,041 posts, read 6,291,056 times
Good for you Umbria.

Old 12-22-2016, 08:46 PM

2,061 posts, read 1,957,912 times
Default Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post

I had a rather interesting conversation this summer with some Jehovah's Witnesses that stopped by while I was outside. The second time they stopped (we will save her!!) it got even more interesting when I went into a similar spiel. They promised to never stop by again - maybe it was my speech on all the religious hypocrites I have come in contact with - I gave lots of examples. We even discussed Prince - they seemed very open minded even though I was rather blunt.
the Asheville area had about 12 million visitors this year. And the Biltmore Estate is a big draw, especially at Christmas. We celebrated our 44th wedding anniversary,last Sunday, at the Inn on Biltmore, being annual passholders, we had no problem with reservations. We use the valet parking, and live only 10 minutes away- so it was easy and enjoyable. On Christmas Eve we will go an hour early, enjoy a Biltmore wine club, premium tasting , then have dinner at the Bistro near the winery. We will drive through the whole estate and enjoy the Christmas lights.

Not sure if there are any JW's around here. Pretty far between homes for efficiency in proselytizing. We haven't as yet been confronted by "church people".

Last edited by funisart; 12-22-2016 at 08:49 PM.. Reason: Spell

Old 12-22-2016, 09:43 PM

16,075 posts, read 10,735,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post

I have a couple JW ladies visit me every few months. They are very sweet and we have a little chat. They offer to read from the Bible and leave pamphlets-- I decline. I have a fish pond that they admire in my courtyard and said they know I'm not interested in their mission work but could they please stop by occasionally to look at the fish pond? Sure, why not..

Old 12-23-2016, 06:17 AM

4,536 posts, read 3,754,482 times
Christmas is in full swing here. Sugar cookies and gingerbread houses were made on Wednesday with the grandkids and was followed with a bike ride to a nearby park to get rid of some of the sugar overload. That was after I swept and mopped up all the sprinkles, colored sugar, candy pieces and sticky bits on the kitchen floor. I had to shoo the dog out who was trying his hardest to help me.

Presents are wrapped and I'm doing a last food shopping trip sometimethis morning. I taught my 7 year old granddaughter to knit a month ago and she is coming over later to finish the scarf that is a present for her Mom. She is so excited and proud, it's been fun to see. She's been out of sorts though, trying to deal with the reality about Santa this year, while her little brother is making her crazy with his total immersion in all things Christmas. If she hears him say "Christmas stuff, hooray!" one more time as we pass by holiday displays, she may implode.

My MIL is coming tomorrow to stay the weekend. Along with our family's celebrations, we will go over to my DIL's parents for a Christmas luncheon with their other daughter, her husband and baby who have been visiting from the Mideast. Good times ahead.

We've done the hour and half Christmas parade after Thanksgiving, the lighted boat parade on the intercoastal, breakfast with Santa at grandson's preschool but missed his Christmas program since he was sick with a cold that he gave to everyone else since Christmas is a time of sharing, and last night went to a local park that is an arboretum where local groups pick a tree and decorate. This is my favorite thing to do, walking along the paths and seeing the lights on the tree in the dark and quiet. Not so quiet with the grandkids last night, so we'll go again with MIL and enjoy it again in a different way.

I made two batches of lemon curd yesterday from my Meyer lemon tree for Christmas gifts to go along with the jars of salted preserved lemons. There are still some lemons hanging on, not ready to let go yet, on the tree. I have poinsettias outside in pots and my Christmas cactus is totally happy here, bursting into bloom this week.

I love going up and down the mountains and valleys of the holidays; it's quite a ride and I'm glad I can still keep up with it. I've discarded those things that don't work and added in new things along the way over the years. I love tradition but am not trapped into doing things I don't enjoy, which is key to still loving the holidays for me.

For those who celebrate the season, I hope it's a wonderful one for you and for those who don't, the new year is fast approaching to clear it all away. I like that part too.

Chat Thread-img_5802.jpg

Last edited by jean_ji; 12-23-2016 at 07:10 AM..

Old 12-23-2016, 08:02 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,667,075 times
jean_ji, what an exciting, busy, happy time for you!

I am lucky that I have grandchildren even though they are step grandchildren. The bad part is that the three of them live over in England. (dh is from England.) The good part is that their mother is wonderful and understanding enough to message me and keep me up to date with pictures.

We can't be with them on Christmas but she puts pictures of them opening our presents to them on facebook. She says that this year they are getting the baby a new car! It's some sort of thing he can sit in--he's only 1 1/2 so I don't think he has his license yet, lol.

Old 12-23-2016, 08:12 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,013,104 times
I haven't posted here in about 2-3 months or so, but given that today is the most sacred day of the calendar year, I wanted to wish everyone a Happy Festivus!

My wife and I are traveling this holiday season and are celebrating Festivus this year in Germany. We've been in Berlin for the past week, but are in Dresden now. As the holiday season moves on from Festivus to Christmas, we will be moving on as well, and changing countries from Germany to the Czech Republic. We'll be in Prague for Christmas and a few days after before heading into Bohemia and Cesky Krumlov. And to wrap up the holiday season, we'll move on to Vienna for NYE and the first week of the new year.

Speaking of which, I wish everyone here a healthy and happy new year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement