Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2017, 12:50 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,868,731 times

Advertisements

^ I found the same thing with my paternal grandfather. His birth certificate had his middle initial as C, death as F, but the same person. Looking at the records everything was hand written NOT printed but written, and looks like it was easy to mistake letters. It's fun to look at all these old documents though.

Old 08-03-2017, 03:40 PM

4,536 posts, read 3,755,086 times
Long credit card rant.

We went out to eat Saturday and our card was declined. I carry a secondary card we rarely use and it was declined. We were on the phone to both CC companies and ended up paying cash. Our primary card went through at Publix a half hour later.

Following up, our primary card had no real answer when we called on Monday when someone who could help was available. They thought it probably had to do with the restaurant's bank processing of our card. Well that was abought as helpful as the weekend help I got from their call center.

The secondary card got interesting. It's through our first credit union, which we still do business with. They had notations that new cards were sent out and mine had been returned. DH, as the primary, had our updated address, me as a secondary did not and bank mail is not forwarded. DH never received his. They didn't understand why this happened and why it wasn't pursued. Our account is invalid because the new cards were never activated. Essentially we would need to ask or reapply for new cards and the agent asked if she could help us with that. DH politely told her he had been thinking of getting a card elsewhere and this made the decision easier for us.

So I decide an Amazon card would be great, we are Prime members, the card would be used more than the other one had been. Perfect, if only! Three live chats with Amazon and four phone calls to get through Chase's phone trees until I got a live person. We have had our credit frozen after a major hack several years ago. All I wanted to know was what credit reporting agency does Chase use, so I could unfreeze our account for a specific time frame. I learned they use all three on a random, rotating basis. I am not paying to open all three for each of us.

This is only the third time we've run into a problem with having our credit frozen. I had to go to SS to open an account in person, I couldn't do it online with my credit frozen. SS must have some serious pull get around frozen credit. I wonder who else does? The last time was when we opened up a new account lwith a credit union in FL. They couldn't proceed without a credit check. Really? We wanted to deposit money, not take it out. We were able to call the credit reporting agency they use while we were there. The credit agency opened up for a five minute period for the credit union to get what they needed.

I'm frustrated, but not enough to unfreeze our accounts, yet. I told DH it's Chase's loss and he reminded me we pay off our balance monthly and are hardly the customer they would miss.

Last edited by jean_ji; 08-03-2017 at 04:02 PM..

Old 08-03-2017, 05:17 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,904,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
I've had some difficulties with my research due to the fact that two family surnames were spelled differently. In one name a T was dropped from the name; in the other an L was dropped. I've also found that a few of the genealogy websites do not always have the correct information I found one site that had the spellings correct for both names however the location they had was wrong.

Another website had a different husband for my fourth cousin Martha who was called "Patty". The two websites had exactly the same birthdate, nicknames and maiden names. Why would her husband be different?

I have been doing my family history for about 30 years now and over the years I have found TONS of mistakes. Just with my granddad different things, including the census, has him born in Kentucky, Kansas and Oklahoma. He was born in Kansas. Names get spelled kind of wild sometimes because they wrote them phonetically instead of correctly. My maternal grandparents name got so mangled in the 1940 census I never would have found them except they got my mother's name right and she lived with them. I found them through her. My maiden name is short...four letters...pronounced just as spelled but ends up being spelled all different ways in different places.

Way back when I think all Martha's were "Patty", Mary was "Polly", etc. and lots of people had nicknames. One of my family lines would be really hard to connect if not for nicknames! Seems like they all had the same first name and the nickname set them apart. Your Martha's husband might be "different" just because the person who reported it was incorrect.

Do you belong to Ancestry.com? It's kind of expensive but oh so worth it, at least for a year or so.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:37 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,058,216 times
AZDB: Do you think Ancestry is worth while even if I can just go to the Prescott Lib and use their edition? I get upset everytime Ancestry wants me to get an account when they have the info I need. I still think this should all be free to everyone. Afterall, it is OUR history and what right do they have to charge us to get it. (JMHO). I try to not use Ancestry just for that reason.

Old 08-03-2017, 10:32 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,904,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
AZDB: Do you think Ancestry is worth while even if I can just go to the Prescott Lib and use their edition? I get upset everytime Ancestry wants me to get an account when they have the info I need. I still think this should all be free to everyone. Afterall, it is OUR history and what right do they have to charge us to get it. (JMHO). I try to not use Ancestry just for that reason.

I think it's great that we can get access at the library if we want to but I don't like that you have limited time to do it. Once you get into it the time can fly by! If I'm not mistaken I think we can get access to the library on our home computer but only from the Prescott library. Not positive about that but I remember reading somewhere that you have to have a library card and produce something with your name/address etc...ie APS bill or something of the sort. You might look into it. Cottonwood may have it now, I don't know, but I just renewed with Ancestry for another six months and may look into that myself.

The Mormon church has a free website with tons of info as well. I have to say that I have found much more info on Ancestry though. I understand your frustration about having to join Ancestry to actually find out anything much. That's why I finally 'gave in' and joined. I also did the DNA test.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:04 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,250,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Way back when I think all Martha's were "Patty", Mary was "Polly", etc. and lots of people had nicknames. One of my family lines would be really hard to connect if not for nicknames! Seems like they all had the same first name and the nickname set them apart. Your Martha's husband might be "different" just because the person who reported it was incorrect.

Do you belong to Ancestry.com? It's kind of expensive but oh so worth it, at least for a year or so.
Ah the family nicknames Most of my mom's brothers and sisters went by their middles names or used a different name: Frank was Bud, Anne Susan was Sue, Audrey Julia was Judy, Charles Richard was Ritchie etc.

No I don't belong to Ancestry as I cannot justify spending that kind of money

I was lucky to find information about my third great grandmother's family on a personal family website. This site had great family information but wasn't aware that the family had moved from Bridgewater to Oakham in 1796. In my third great grandfather's journal he had mentioned meeting with several people during his journey. From this website, I found out that some of the people he had mentioned were his brothers-in-law!

A New York Library has the 1801 daybook from his store that he owned for a short time with his brother. The Library had it listed under two locations for Illinois instead of two locations for Ohio. I contact them and pointed out the error. I received an email saying that they would review it. Several months later, I received another email thanking me and telling me they had corrected it to be Ohio.

My Aunt Sue was our family genealogist. Somehow she had traced the family back to Ireland. I'm sure she had an Ancestry account but this was over 20 years ago. I cannot figure out how she got the family from 1658 here in America (as mentioned in the journal) to Ireland. Especially since the journal states "Family Tradition says that he was a native of France, and came over and settled in Charlestown, near Boston".

Old 08-04-2017, 10:06 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,058,216 times
Quote:
I think it's great that we can get access at the library if we want to but I don't like that you have limited time to do it. Once you get into it the time can fly by! If I'm not mistaken I think we can get access to the library on our home computer but only from the Prescott library. Not positive about that but I remember reading somewhere that you have to have a library card and produce something with your name/address etc...ie APS bill or something of the sort. You might look into it. Cottonwood may have it now, I don't know, but I just renewed with Ancestry for another six months and may look into that myself.

The Mormon church has a free website with tons of info as well. I have to say that I have found much more info on Ancestry though. I understand your frustration about having to join Ancestry to actually find out anything much. That's why I finally 'gave in' and joined. I also did the DNA test.
Yes, you have to go to the Prescott Library and sit at their computers to use Ancestry. There is a supposed limit of 2 hours, but if no one wants to use the computer, you can sit there as long as you wish. You can also have some stuff sent back to your own email at home, but not everything.

The problem I have is dragging all my research with me when I go. I get there and am so unfocused and usually get nothing done. But yes Ancestry does help. We also have an LDS church with Familysearch and people to help you there. You can use Ancestry free there too.

None the less, I have to get dressed to do any of this !

Old 08-04-2017, 11:33 AM

2,841 posts, read 3,197,335 times
Quote:

I just dropped Ancestry because of the cost. I also object to their charging other people to see items I upload to their site. And be careful if you look at other people's family trees. They may not be correct, and errors propagate when others copy them. I have had to argue repeatedly with people who refuse to believe that my father died in 2012 instead of years earlier, because someone posted it wrong.
I'm going to try just using Family Search for a while.

Old 08-04-2017, 11:35 AM

2,841 posts, read 3,197,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post

I was lucky to find information about my third great grandmother's family on a personal family website. This site had great family information but wasn't aware that the family had moved from Bridgewater to Oakham in 1796. In my third great grandfather's journal he had mentioned meeting with several people during his journey. From this website, I found out that some of the people he had mentioned were his brothers-in-law!
I found a cousin I did not know just using Google. She has a great site for one line in my family.

Old 08-04-2017, 12:31 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,190,905 times
Just wanted to share a bit of happy news today! Someone I know found out today through the mail that they won a legitimate contest with a prize of $1,000 worth of free groceries. I am so happy for them! It is a large family, with grandma doing full time childcare for a number of grandchildren, including one with Special Needs and it happened to a nice, deserving family.

I hope everyone has a pleasant weekend! We had some stormy weather in Phx last night [not by us, no rain here]. The Phoenix Zoo was hit quite hard, with big trees blown down. Thankfully all the animals are safe and accounted for, but the zoo is closed today, as they try to repair the damages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement