Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2017, 07:46 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,191,341 times

Advertisements

Sera- We have 2 dogs, boy and girl. Boy is lab/German Shepard mix, and girl is lab/something else mix, and both are black.

Old 08-05-2017, 07:51 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,870,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Are the storms so intense because, due to altitude, you are closer to the actual clouds and bolts and all? Is that a really dumb question? I was visiting once in June and the daily storms were truly epic- never saw anything like it here on the East sticky Coast.

I'll have to ask one of my NWS friends. Mountain storms are really intense here with lightening. There's a saying this time of year "get off the mountain by noon". The rumble of thunder echoes through mountain canyons.

Old 08-06-2017, 05:00 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,753 times
I'm feeling so proud of my niece. She lives in south FL but came up to central NY to participate in Iron Girl race. She is 48 and did so well! The race included running and biking. Swimming had to be eliminated due to the pollution of the water at the beach. I hadn't seen her in years. So nice to see her but hated to see her leave for home.

Old 08-08-2017, 04:41 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Yes, you have to go to the Prescott Library and sit at their computers to use Ancestry. There is a supposed limit of 2 hours, but if no one wants to use the computer, you can sit there as long as you wish. You can also have some stuff sent back to your own email at home, but not everything.

The problem I have is dragging all my research with me when I go. I get there and am so unfocused and usually get nothing done. But yes Ancestry does help. We also have an LDS church with Familysearch and people to help you there. You can use Ancestry free there too.

None the less, I have to get dressed to do any of this !

Ahhhh, that get dressed to go public thing. lol I think that's why I hardly ever leave my house on my days off. Don't want to change into 'presentable'.

When I first started doing my research I lived in Payson and I would spend my days off every week at a friend's house in Phoenix just so I could spend a LOT of time at the library in Mesa near the Temple. I didn't really know what I was looking for back then, or where to look, but still ended up learning quite a bit. And, yes, dragging all your 'stuff' with you IS a pain. I was so happy to start finding so much online!

Old 08-08-2017, 04:51 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
Ah the family nicknames Most of my mom's brothers and sisters went by their middles names or used a different name: Frank was Bud, Anne Susan was Sue, Audrey Julia was Judy, Charles Richard was Ritchie etc.

No I don't belong to Ancestry as I cannot justify spending that kind of money

I was lucky to find information about my third great grandmother's family on a personal family website. This site had great family information but wasn't aware that the family had moved from Bridgewater to Oakham in 1796. In my third great grandfather's journal he had mentioned meeting with several people during his journey. From this website, I found out that some of the people he had mentioned were his brothers-in-law!

A New York Library has the 1801 daybook from his store that he owned for a short time with his brother. The Library had it listed under two locations for Illinois instead of two locations for Ohio. I contact them and pointed out the error. I received an email saying that they would review it. Several months later, I received another email thanking me and telling me they had corrected it to be Ohio.

My Aunt Sue was our family genealogist. Somehow she had traced the family back to Ireland. I'm sure she had an Ancestry account but this was over 20 years ago. I cannot figure out how she got the family from 1658 here in America (as mentioned in the journal) to Ireland. Especially since the journal states "Family Tradition says that he was a native of France, and came over and settled in Charlestown, near Boston".

I wish some of the people in my family had kept journals. It's so fascinating to read what they did and thought back then. I guess they were just too busy surviving to be writing about it! I do have copies of letters written by various family members in the 1800s and I'm so glad I have them. My great grandfather had a nephew that migrated to Oregon in the early 1850s, became a successful business man and was a member of the Territorial Legislature. The University of Oregon library sent me a huge box FULL of things related to him and his family. What a haul! lol He was, what they call, "hotly political" and even bought his own newspaper so he could opine to his hearts delight. He was a big proponent of slavery.

It's possible that your ancestor WAS from France but migrated to Ireland. One side of my maternal family migrated from England to Holland (was it called Holland then?) in the 1300s. They stayed there for the next 200 years and were considered thoroughly Dutch. The only reason they left was because one of the Mayflower ships went there, picked up a bunch of folks, took them back to England temporarily and then to New England. They arrived in the third ship after the Mayflower.

Old 08-08-2017, 05:13 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,016,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I just received a summary statement from the hospital for my first stay there of three weeks. (I've had a total of three stays covering about 5 weeks minus the 3-4 days I was home between re-admissions.) This statement was not a bill for me, but a notice of how much they are billing my insurance company.

There is a breakdown of 18 different categories of charges ranging from a low of $1,988 to a high of $75,926. The grand total is....

$245,473.88!!

And that doesn't even include all of the individual bills I will receive from the myriad of doctors who treated me over that three-week period.

Now, I have no doubt that since this hospital is part of the BCBS network, that these charges will be reduced significantly and that BCBS will make a much smaller payment to them, but even so, that is still an unbelievable bill.

I just received my EOB from Blue Cross. They paid $49,462.89 of the approximately a quarter-of-a-million-dollars hospital bill and wrote off the rest (minus my $350 copayment.) So roughly, 20%, albeit still a nice chunk of change.

Old 08-09-2017, 08:24 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,755,944 times
I don't quite understand these write-offs. I had an ER visit that was billed out at over $10,000 but my insurance paid a fraction of that. I have BCBS also. I'm not complaining, I just don't understand how it works.

Old 08-09-2017, 08:35 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,755,944 times
Our dog couldn't lay his backend down on Monday night. He could get his head and front down, but not his back legs without help. He got up and walked a few feet away so I held off going to the ER vet. In the morning he wasn't getting up, moving and wasn't interested in food.

I took him to our vet, using a sling to help him get up on his back legs and lifting him into my car. The vet found he has a neuro deficit and likely disc problem. We discussed surgery but he's 14 1/2 years old. He's already past the average life span of a Springer spaniel, so I wasn't going to do any heroics with his care. The vet kept him for the day giving him a steroid injection and laser therapy on his spine throughout the day.

I picked him up and he slept the evening and night away. He was walking very slowly but able to lay down by himself. This morning I woke to hear toenails clicking on the tile, he was walking around and hungry.

The vet is off today but gave me his number and we go back tomorrow for more laser treatments. I'm trying not to get my hopes up too high, but I'm happy for any more time with him, as long as he's happy and pain-free.

Last edited by jean_ji; 08-09-2017 at 08:44 AM..

Old 08-09-2017, 09:39 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,060,189 times
Jean; I have a similar problem. My Boomer (he is a Schnoodle) is at least 14 and has Cushings Disease, and also hip deterioration. I give him Meloxicam but ran out and am hoping the next few days he doesn't have a "spell". When he is in pain, he is not consolable. I have to sit with him on the couch and rub his back until he can relax and fall asleep. It usually takes a half hour or so.

We love our pets so much don't we?

Old 08-09-2017, 11:03 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,753 times
I'll probably get stoned for saying this. Yes, we do love our pets. But I am not sure what the motive is to keep a pet who is clearly in pain and suffering alive. It is us, I think, who can't bear to lose our friends. Yes, we can give them meds and treatments, but their suffering returns. I'm sorry to be a downer. I've lost pets, too. Having to watch my cat struggle a little with the anesthesia so vet could administer the shot..... just about left me in a pile on the floor. And I cried for about 20 minutes over her little body at the vets. I couldn't leave her.

I have a neighbor whose dog is 17 yrs old. Dog is skin and bone but still walking and appears to be doing OK. But I can see her ribs and backbone. Since animals can't talk...... we make tough decisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement