Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2017, 05:58 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,191,341 times

Advertisements

I boycott all self check-out lines. Just trying to help preserve someone else's job. Sometimes I have to wait longer.

Happened to go to the lab this past Saturday morning. I have not come across a check-in kiosk for a lab. That is kind of scary. The lab I go to, called LabCor, is always quite busy. They have recently closed several locations and not opened any replacements, nor expanded the ones remaining open, so these locations are very, very busy with long waits. This can be dangerous, especially for patients needing to fast for their blood tests.

The LabCor waitingroom we were in on Saturday was packed with people. A gentleman we came in with was quite large, a very large man. The waiting room was crowded, and the one double/extra-wide seat was already occupied. This man was literally not able to sit back in the chair, and had to sit half-out of the chair the entire time he was waiting. And this man was just a big guy, not morbidly obese. Probably more of this type of seats are needed!

Old 09-28-2017, 11:07 PM

2,863 posts, read 1,808,197 times
Leo Buscaglia I believe said "Don't look for the shortest line, get to know your neighbor, you will eventually get there", something like that. So ! When in line, start chatting, complimenting or saying something about the weather, have heard the most interesting stories !

One gentleman was a pilot who flew in the Pacific Theatre during WW II: another time, hearing a woman say something positive to her husband, informed her I heard tell she would live a long life with her positive attitude. Then as we were chatting a young chimed in with being born in the same town as I was ! By the time it was our turn for hot dogs, who was hungry ? !

My husband wanted to know how I knew those people ! In suburbia before we moved to the small town, my husband was always surprised I would meet people I knew ! Well, did not work outside the home till our eldest was 15; volunteered at the school, church activities, etc.

Old 09-29-2017, 07:48 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,870,986 times
I refuse to go to those self checkout lines. One, I'm not in that big of hurry and two I like talking to a checker, a real person. I have my favorites, Safeway it's Rhonda, Walmart Ms Betty, Home Depot whom ever they stick in the garden center because everything is self checkout now.

Gosh, remember when you drove up to the Texaco station and four guys wearing uniforms, bow ties and caps would surround your car checking the oil, washing the windshield?

Old 09-29-2017, 08:55 AM

jim9251, Thanks for the LOL ! You brought back memories of my Mom, we had to go to a certain check out stand because of whom was checking, even when she came to live with us, she had favorite checkers ! Mom even made friends with checkers, one came to our wedding, a dear friend she and her husband became to us !

Gas stations, Texaco --- they sponsored the Miton Berle Show on television ? Also, gasoline was 25 cents a gallon And you received stamps to purchase items in the gas station. Remember choosing carnival dolls, those large straw hats that were popular in the 1950's.

Old 09-29-2017, 09:28 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,753 times
I've almost always started chatting with strangers. I have lived alone for a very long time and sometimes the little chat I have in a store is the only social for that day. For me, it's absolutely necessary.

Old 09-29-2017, 12:21 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,016,652 times
And the hits just keep on coming...

I had several moles biopsied earlier this week and I was just informed by my dermatologist's office that I have a melanoma on my scalp. Well, on the bright side, I guess one positive outcome from my chemotherapy treatments so far is that if I hadn't lost my hair since I began chemo, the melanoma might not have been discovered until much later.

Old 09-29-2017, 02:39 PM

MMOB, you are the energize bunny ! With you cup 1/2 full attitude, you will live a Very long time !

Remembrance: God made only so many beautiful heads, the rest he covered with hair ! Idea, maybe your Mrs. can get a t-shirt with that expression printed on it.

Old 09-29-2017, 07:58 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,191,341 times
MMoB -- Sera is right! You have a great attitude and that is a huge part of the battle! So glad to hear they caught the Melanomas when they are small, so they can be taken care of, pronto.

NYgal - I'm like you. I enjoy a chat in the check-out lane!

Old 09-29-2017, 09:27 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,020,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
And the hits just keep on coming...

I had several moles biopsied earlier this week and I was just informed by my dermatologist's office that I have a melanoma on my scalp. Well, on the bright side, I guess one positive outcome from my chemotherapy treatments so far is that if I hadn't lost my hair since I began chemo, the melanoma might not have been discovered until much later.
Wow - when it rains it pours. Glad you caught it and it's taken care of. Hang in there.

Old 09-29-2017, 10:04 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,198,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
I boycott all self check-out lines. Just trying to help preserve someone else's job. Sometimes I have to wait longer.

Happened to go to the lab this past Saturday morning. I have not come across a check-in kiosk for a lab. That is kind of scary. The lab I go to, called LabCor, is always quite busy. They have recently closed several locations and not opened any replacements, nor expanded the ones remaining open, so these locations are very, very busy with long waits. This can be dangerous, especially for patients needing to fast for their blood tests.
I usually make appointments online for lab work. Then I don't have to wait much at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement