Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2018, 06:52 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
Years ago in late winter, DH took a kayaking course at the Y, practicing rolls in the pool. When he was done, he bent down to pull his spray skirt off with two women from class behind him. Yep, he pulled his swim trunks along with the spray skirt down to his ankles, mooning them. He told me about it when he got home and when I got done laughing, I said “Don’t worry, you’ll probably never see those two ever again”.

Two weeks later we were cross county skiing on a trail at a college an hour away in Michigan. Someone came up behind us and called out “Track, track!”. As we moved to the side, the two women from the kayak class passed us and said “Hello, nice to see you again” to DH.
They recognized him, hee hee. Hopefully for the rest of him, not just the rear view!

Old 07-24-2018, 07:00 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,060,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I'm home at last and so glad I am! (Got my regular ID back. Yay!) Now I can get caught up with everybody.

I'm tired and will need a week to rest up now. lol It's been a fun and interesting two weeks but I've had about all the 'adventure' I can take right now. I've put over 3,000 miles on my car and on my butt! I now have 'numb butt'.

I never knew just how much empty land there is in this country. I drove hundreds and hundreds of miles through it. At one point I really had to marvel at how the pioneers crossed it, at minimum miles a day, and I couldn't WAIT to get past it. CO and NE were the most 'barren' to me. Pretty, in it's own way, but just plain empty.

I stayed a full week at my nephew's place and didn't do much of anything. A little sight seeing and an afternoon at Falls Park in Sioux Falls. Sounds like Niagra rushing but not nearly as big. Left there and got to Custer State Park and Mt. Rushmore. Awesome!

Came home through Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Lots of empty land on that drive too! I avoided Denver going but braved it coming back. Not too bad. Didn't get lost once! lol

Anyway, I'm happy to be home to my own bed! My daughter put mini blinds in my bedroom while I was gone. Bless her heart! I just had shears up so it gets light really early.

Oh yeah...I picked up a 'hitchhiker' at my nephew's in Sioux Falls. A fly! He stuck with me all the way home and I kept opening the window in case he wanted to find some long lost cousins or anything. Nope. Stayed put. He was no bother but I'd have been happier if he could read a map and drive for me! LOL
Good that you made it ok and are safely back with us !! You must have driven all the interstates which means seeing nothing. Especially in the west, there are no little interesting towns to stop at and enjoy like there are in the East. We made the trip from Phoenix to Algodones a few times. Could not get over how boring it was. At least I had someone to talk to. Did you talk to your hitchhiker??? LOL Welcome home !!

Old 07-24-2018, 07:05 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
^^^^^^^^^ Welcome back!! Sounds like you had a successful trip. AZDesertBrat.

Thanks, I did! No more for a while though and when I go up there again I will FLY! lol

Old 07-24-2018, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
Good that you made it ok and are safely back with us !! You must have driven all the interstates which means seeing nothing. Especially in the west, there are no little interesting towns to stop at and enjoy like there are in the East. We made the trip from Phoenix to Algodones a few times. Could not get over how boring it was. At least I had someone to talk to. Did you talk to your hitchhiker??? LOL Welcome home !!

Interstates mostly but there were plenty of two lane roads through the prairie too with very little traffic. Good roads and 65 mph. No towns at ALL but every 50 miles or so would be a HUGE agricultural area with a home, barns and all that. The only places with groups of trees. Very boring. Gives you time to think about things like 'the meaning of life'. lol I still can't believe I drove over 3,000 miles!

Old 07-25-2018, 08:07 AM

7,043 posts, read 6,293,948 times
Welcome home. I took almost the same trip you did except I was in Minnesota. Yes, very boring a lot of the way. My car was blasted & plastered with bugs. Especially going through South Dakota.

It makes you feel brave though. Traveling all that way by yourself. Congratulations, you did it!

Old 07-25-2018, 08:13 AM

50,369 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Just came back from a trip to the local grocery store and thought I'd pass along something that I couldn't decide whether was worth a chuckle or was slap-the-side-of-the-head ridiculous. Or maybe it was both at the same time.

I was wheeling my cart through the meat department when I saw the attached "sale" sign and did a double take.

Two cents?! Are they f'n serious?
Oh my goodness. How gullible do they think shoppers are?

Old 07-25-2018, 08:20 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,870,986 times
I am going to Walmart. Pray for me...

Old 07-25-2018, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Welcome home. I took almost the same trip you did except I was in Minnesota. Yes, very boring a lot of the way. My car was blasted & plastered with bugs. Especially going through South Dakota.

It makes you feel brave though. Traveling all that way by yourself. Congratulations, you did it!

The bugs! Oh my...lol I actually ran out of windshield washer on the way up there. At least the rain kept it pretty clean.

Don't know about "brave". Made me tired though. lol I was constantly grateful for my cruise control. My poor feet would've been like bricks at the end of the day without it.

Old 07-25-2018, 10:32 AM

812 posts, read 795,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
No, but not far away: in the Four Corners area of CO.

News article said it could hit 120 in Phoenix.
Oh, that is a pretty spot you live!

Thankfully we are up out of Phoenix now. We hit 103 yesterday, but as hot as it was, it's still better than 117 in Phoenix!

This time of year I always start thinking about moving somewhere cooler. We'll see how I feel in November.

Old 07-25-2018, 11:05 AM

812 posts, read 795,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Interstates mostly but there were plenty of two lane roads through the prairie too with very little traffic. Good roads and 65 mph. No towns at ALL but every 50 miles or so would be a HUGE agricultural area with a home, barns and all that. The only places with groups of trees. Very boring. Gives you time to think about things like 'the meaning of life'. lol I still can't believe I drove over 3,000 miles!
Welcome home! That is a lot of driving all on your own. Especially since your "hitchhiker" didn't even help.

Do share if you managed to find any answers to the meaning of life...lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement