Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2018, 04:04 PM

7,020 posts, read 6,245,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuglf View Post
Oh, that is a pretty spot you live!

Thankfully we are up out of Phoenix now. We hit 103 yesterday, but as hot as it was, it's still better than 117 in Phoenix!

This time of year I always start thinking about moving somewhere cooler. We'll see how I feel in November.
I thought the same. But, it's supposed to be cooler the rest of the week. I've been exploring other areas of this great country of ours & there's a heat wave in a lot of places. Sometimes all I have to do is look at the majestic mountains & see the sunsets & I fall in love all over again.

The heat will end & cooler days will come.

I think of Minnesota & how long the winter lasted. I can live with this heat much better than I did with the snow & cold.

Old 07-25-2018, 04:50 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,632,006 times
Quote:

Thankfully we are up out of Phoenix now. We hit 103 yesterday, but as hot as it was, it's still better than 117 in Phoenix!

This time of year I always start thinking about moving somewhere cooler. We'll see how I feel in November.
Or take a trip elsewhere when it is too hot. Somewhere higher elevation, with forests.

Hottest I have experienced was 107 degrees—in Glacier National Park, of all places. The irony of Glacier being saunalike! But it was a southwest-facing fire-burned trail high on a slope. NO trees or else it would have been merely hot, probably 10 to 15 degrees cooler if forested.

Old 07-25-2018, 07:11 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,868,940 times
Quote:
Welcome home! That is a lot of driving all on your own. Especially since your "hitchhiker" didn't even help.

Do share if you managed to find any answers to the meaning of life...lol

Thanks. It's good to BE home. The longest road trip I ever did, before this one, was about 2,500 round trip and a couple of others close to that. I really like driving. It's relaxing to me...till I get near/into a big city and then I get minor panic attacks. Have to be on high alert to traffic, hiway signs, etc. and try not to get lost. I've had some experiences with that!

My 'hitchhiker' has gone on his merry way, I guess. I bet he's sorry too because it's really hot compared to where he's from. It was in the low 80s in Sioux Falls all week and while there was some rain, and it IS humid, it really wasn't bad. Still nice to sit outside in the evenings watching the fireflies. Some mosquitoes but, fortunately for me, they liked my niece more than they did me!

Sorry, no answers yet. lol

Old 07-25-2018, 07:18 PM

Quote:

By November you'll be saying "Aw, it wasn't so bad. It's been worse". lol I think I say that every year.

Bad luck on my trip...AC went out in New Mexico. Running the fan on high kept the sweat dried up but, boy, was it hot. My nephew put Freon in it and now it's back to super duper cool. Pleasant drive home and only need it on low.

Old 07-25-2018, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Or take a trip elsewhere when it is too hot. Somewhere higher elevation, with forests.

Hottest I have experienced was 107 degrees—in Glacier National Park, of all places. The irony of Glacier being saunalike! But it was a southwest-facing fire-burned trail high on a slope. NO trees or else it would have been merely hot, probably 10 to 15 degrees cooler if forested.

One of the things I love about where I live is the proximity to the mountains. In 15 min. I can be at 7,000 ft. and 20 degrees cooler.

The last time I went to Glacier National Park was in October one year and we followed a snow plow a long ways on Road To The Sun. I think that's the name of it anyway. Can't imagine that place being in the 100s.

Old 07-25-2018, 08:01 PM
JRR

8,130 posts, read 5,594,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I am going to Walmart. Pray for me...
How was the Walmart trip?

Old 07-25-2018, 09:21 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,181,581 times
AZDesertBrat -- Welcome home! So happy to hear you are home safe and sound, and had a good trip.

I am sitting here at home listening to the news, and am not happy to hear that a high school boy has been taken to the hospital after getting over-heated during a football practice. It was 114-116 out there this afternoon. Those boys should not have been practicing while it was so hot. It was at Perry H.S. in Gilbert, AZ. No news on the boy's condition.

We have some family friends who lost their 18 yr old track-star son to heatstroke while jogging in a heatwave in the Wash. D.C. area and I will never forget that.

Old 07-26-2018, 08:20 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,805,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
How was the Walmart trip?

A nightmare. Hot, crowded, traffic was awful. If I didn't have a $50 gift card I would never have gone. Checker had to manually input the cards numbers, and the woman behind me yelled "well f it! I don't have all fing day!". Well me, being me, I turned and said excuse me your majesty.

Old 07-26-2018, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
A nightmare. Hot, crowded, traffic was awful. If I didn't have a $50 gift card I would never have gone. Checker had to manually input the cards numbers, and the woman behind me yelled "well f it! I don't have all fing day!". Well me, being me, I turned and said excuse me your majesty.

Oh my...sounds typical, unfortunately. On my road trip I decided to avoid Walmart and glad I did. When I did see one the parking lots were so crammed full of cars I just couldn't bring myself to brave it. I did go to one with my nephew, did the self checkout thing and must have got the s.l.o.w.e.s.t. scanner ever made. lol Now that I no longer work for them I get to be the customer so maybe I'll have 'different' complaints.

Old 07-26-2018, 09:19 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,805,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Oh my...sounds typical, unfortunately. On my road trip I decided to avoid Walmart and glad I did. When I did see one the parking lots were so crammed full of cars I just couldn't bring myself to brave it. I did go to one with my nephew, did the self checkout thing and must have got the s.l.o.w.e.s.t. scanner ever made. lol Now that I no longer work for them I get to be the customer so maybe I'll have 'different' complaints.

The Walmart where I live is horrible. It doesn't matter what time of day I go there, it's always packed. Mostly tourists stocking up before heading to the mountains, and always in a hurry. The employees are cranky and always complaining, and it's just dirty. There's a Walmart 30 miles away that's very pleasant, clean, never crowded, but I don't care to drive 40 minutes for Walmart. When I lived in northwest Arkansas I loved going to the Walmart near the University of Arkansas. College girls in pajamas and bunny slippers...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement