Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2018, 01:11 PM
JRR

8,144 posts, read 5,614,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
I am feeling even MORE overwhelmed by all the ripe apples from all the apple trees here - FIVE mature trees full of apples. I know I've mentioned this before but it feels like the month of September has ushered in an absolute embarrassment of riches when it comes to apples - and pears - the pear tree out back is full of hundreds of small but tasty ripe pears. I am going to bake an apple pie today and make a pear flan tomorrow - pathetic gestures in the face of my current apple/pear onslaught!

I guess I could have worse problems, right?
I wish I were closer to you to help with your problem. We are going to go to a wedding next month in West Virginia and then up to Ohio for a few days to visit her relatives. We definitely will be bringing some apples back with us. We love apple pie and she makes great apple butter in the crockpot.

Old 09-02-2018, 03:17 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,650,602 times
Quote:
I am feeling even MORE overwhelmed by all the ripe apples from all the apple trees here - FIVE mature trees full of apples. I know I've mentioned this before but it feels like the month of September has ushered in an absolute embarrassment of riches when it comes to apples - and pears - the pear tree out back is full of hundreds of small but tasty ripe pears. I am going to bake an apple pie today and make a pear flan tomorrow - pathetic gestures in the face of my current apple/pear onslaught!

You’re gonna have a bigger problem if deer congregate there in enough numbers that poachers find out! Maybe you can invite a hunting friend to take care of things, legally. Then you can bake a venison pie!

Old 09-02-2018, 06:56 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,824,527 times
Well turned 67 today. I sure didn't expect my life to turn out like it did at this age, oh well.

I grilled a bone in rib eye steak, with baked potato, bbq beans, Olathe Sweet sweet corn for supper with home made peach ice cream (used Palisade peaches).

Hope everyone has an enjoyable Labor Day tomorrow.

Old 09-02-2018, 07:33 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,961,770 times
Quote:

Can you donate them to a local food bank?

Old 09-02-2018, 07:37 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,650,602 times
Jim, the Olathe corn has tasted mighty fine this summer. As did the long season of sweet cherries from the PNW.

What kind of ice cream maker do you use? The one time I made ice cream (coincidentally also peach), we turned the crank on an old wooden White Mountain ice cream churner.

Happy birthday!

Old 09-02-2018, 07:50 PM

7,023 posts, read 6,256,024 times
Happy birthday ��, Jim.

Colorado rambler, my sister and brother have an abundance of apples too. They give the excess to the deer but also give a goodly amount to the seniors. The building I lived in had a community room and all produce was snatched up and appreciated as most people used to have gardens and now didn't.

Old 09-02-2018, 09:15 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,824,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Jim, the Olathe corn has tasted mighty fine this summer. As did the long season of sweet cherries from the PNW.

What kind of ice cream maker do you use? The one time I made ice cream (coincidentally also peach), we turned the crank on an old wooden White Mountain ice cream churner.

Happy birthday!

Never confuse Olathe sweet corn with Olathe Sweet sweet corn. There's a difference.

I use a 50 year old wooden ice cream maker with a hand crank, and only make peach ice cream in it using real peaches and a bottle of peach soda.

Old 09-02-2018, 09:56 PM
JRR

8,144 posts, read 5,614,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Well turned 67 today. I sure didn't expect my life to turn out like it did at this age, oh well.

I grilled a bone in rib eye steak, with baked potato, bbq beans, Olathe Sweet sweet corn for supper with home made peach ice cream (used Palisade peaches).

Hope everyone has an enjoyable Labor Day tomorrow.
Happy birthday! Your supper is like a dream meal for me; you hit on a bunch of my favorites!

Old 09-03-2018, 07:05 AM

4,712 posts, read 4,388,059 times
Happy (belated) birthday Jim!
Happy Labor Day all though I guess in this retired forum it's just another day Hope you all enjoy!

Old 09-03-2018, 10:05 AM

1,774 posts, read 1,184,223 times
Happy Birthday, Jim, a late late! Wishing you a healthy and happy next year!

Wishing everyone an enjoyable Labor Day today!

I am wondering if anyone else in other areas has a "Labor of Love" today? It is a day of free minimal dental care, given by a dental chain here in Phoenix. People line up for free service. This is the 7th anniversary of this event here. It is just a drop in the bucket compared to what is needed, but it is a start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.