Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2018, 11:02 AM
JRR

8,165 posts, read 5,657,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
Jean_ji: Not sure exactly where you are located in FL, tho I believe you are on gulf side. Please be careful with this new storm (Michael). I hope it does not hit you hard. A little rain is OK but the wind that can go with it is sure scary. Take care!!
I believe that she is on the lower Gulf Coast, so it should not be a problem for her.

Old 10-09-2018, 11:52 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,133 times
^^^^^^^ Thanks JRR.

I saw a weather map on TV and it looks like the Carolinas (Wilmington!) will be hit again.

Loving central NY more and more.

Old 10-09-2018, 12:08 PM

4,536 posts, read 3,755,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
I believe that she is on the lower Gulf Coast, so it should not be a problem for her.
Thanks for thinking of me, NYgal1542! All the action looks to be north of us with rain and wind coming here from the outer bands. Then again Charley in 2004 did an unexpected right hand turn slamming into Punta Gorda, south of us, instead of staying on the forecast’s projected track to Tampa. I’ll relax when Michael’s gone past. Right now it’s a mix of sun, clouds and some wind.

Old 10-09-2018, 12:27 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,190,905 times
Bad day here for us. Just got back from the vet; had to put our big ginger cat to sleep. He was 11 years old and he was with us for 8. Could not have asked for a more pleasant cat. He was my buddy; no matter where I was in the house, he usually was nearby. Really going to miss him. That is the problem with pets; they come with an expiration date and we just don't know when it is. But wouldn't have missed our time with him for anything.

JRR -- I am so sorry about your Kitty. So fortunate for these two kitties that they ended up at your home, where you and your wife took such good care of them and gave them a contented life.

I am watching the Michael track, too. It is a big storm. It appears it will back-track across the Carolinas spawning more rain and flooding, as it heads back toward the Atlantic. I wouldn't be surprised if they take the ships out to sea again in Norfolk, to keep them out of harms way.

Jim, sorry to hear about your bad luck with the potential rental. I know that the housing demand in Colorado has increased greatly in some of the urban areas. It sounds like the supply and demand may be more on the demand side wherever this place is located, too. It is too bad it worked out this way. Hopefully another one will come available soon.

Old 10-09-2018, 04:54 PM
JRR

Got some good news this afternoon. The cancer on my wife's arm has not spread. So she has to get it excised and then immunotherapy for a year. That should do the job. This is her third surgery on the arm, so maybe third time is the charm. We both exhaled a big sigh of relief when we got the news.

Jim - Really aggravating to hear what that guy with the cabin did to you. There are good people out there, but it sure seems like they are becoming more and more hard to find.

Old 10-09-2018, 11:00 PM

492 posts, read 405,909 times
Jim, what is it about that particular area that attracts you so?

Old 10-10-2018, 07:26 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,868,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenah View Post

Everything.

Old 10-10-2018, 10:39 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,058,216 times
Am so sick and tired of these TV ads about the election. Especially Sinema vs. McSally. I can't take it anymore. I have to mute the tv everytime these dumb ads come on. If they think they are getting more votes this way, they should think again. I also think the stations should limit the numbers of ads they are allowed to air. What the ....?

Old 10-10-2018, 12:27 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,934,737 times
Quote:
Got some good news this afternoon. The cancer on my wife's arm has not spread. So she has to get it excised and then immunotherapy for a year. That should do the job. This is her third surgery on the arm, so maybe third time is the charm. We both exhaled a big sigh of relief when we got the news.
I have my fingers crossed for you both, and I'm sure that the third time WILL be the charm! I am somewhat concerned about my own the skin cancer procedure that is scheduled for tomorrow. This is the second time it has come back and having it excised makes me feel a little like one of those frogs we had to dissect in college. Yuck! Note to self: Rein in that over active imagination!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenah View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Everything.
Western Colorado has so much to offer - heat waves and forest fires in the summer, persistent drought except when you have to drive over a high mountain pass - it then will dump 6 feet of snow, guaranteed. All this exciting climate and weather brings people here in droves, causing housing costs to skyrocket higher than the summit of one of our 14 thousand foot peaks. If you live within a 1,000 mile radius of a ski/resort town, the rents are even higher and the residents are even snootier. I once wore an old jean jacket and a pair of scuffed up sneakers on a visit to Telluride. If looks could kill, I'd be dead a hundred times over.

What's not to love?

Old 10-10-2018, 02:32 PM
JRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
Am so sick and tired of these TV ads about the election. Especially Sinema vs. McSally. I can't take it anymore. I have to mute the tv everytime these dumb ads come on. If they think they are getting more votes this way, they should think again. I also think the stations should limit the numbers of ads they are allowed to air. What the ....?
Same thing here in Tennessee with the Senate election between Blackburn and Bredesen. Ad after ad hollering at each other and some of the ads for Blackburn make it sound that if you vote for Bredesen, your life is as good as over. Fear and anger 24/7; even on Pandora. Got so I almost don't care who wins; I just want it over!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement