Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2019, 09:39 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,936,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Well, in a way, you have an interesting life. Ex's can be very infuriating. I saw a message on FB from my ex husband's gf--"Ooooooh, seeing Hamilton was great the first time, but even better the second time!"

I can only imagine how much those tickets must have cost. It's in the hundreds. The cheat. Makes me sick.

In my bad moments, I wish something nasty would happen to him.
Oooh, don't get me going about ex's! I would think that by now my vast experience and age would allow me to have a more philosophical attitude. Nope. When we were married, my ex was struggling to establish himself as a writer. I had a good professional job and paid all the bills.

When we divorced I made the mistake of storing my expensive Ethan Allen furniture in his basement (he got the house and I was living in a small apt at the time). That furniture was a gift to me from my Mom and she worked a second job to be able to afford it. Well, you guessed it - when the time came for me to retrieve my furniture, my ex refused.

He is now very well off, having written a number of best selling books and commands exorbitant fees on the speaker circuit since he is now a big old frog in a small pond. If you are into fly fishing, you'd recognize his name at once. When the engine on my truck blew, I got in touch with him to ask him if he would at least pay me for my Mom's Ethan Allen collection, so I could get my truck repaired. He refused. I can't avoid coming across his name on the Internet because he writes about Colorado all the time. Oh, how I long to out him to all his adoring fans! GRRRR!

You and Jim have my deepest sympathies.

Old 02-18-2019, 10:17 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Soooooooooo in the "this is how the universe works part 19..."

Got a text from the EXGF - hope you had a wonderful Valentine's, mine was awesome got treated to dinner, flowers. Love the new house, lots of snow here too. Oh going to Italy! Great to have the money to be able to do what I want now! Have a super weekend. Later.

...and so it goes.

Boy, she's just plain MEAN isn't she??

Old 02-18-2019, 12:05 PM

5,581 posts, read 6,506,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
She will just blow up his phone. Personally, I would just say, none of your business anymore - your choice. Now leave me alone for the rest of you're and my lives.
He should, of course, tell her by text that he will no longer accept her messages and to leave him alone, and delete any that come along on occasion, WITHOUT READING. If they continue, he can tell her he will file harrassment charges against her. He is a former cop, he should know how to stop these from her.

Old 02-18-2019, 01:28 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,870,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
He should, of course, tell her by text that he will no longer accept her messages and to leave him alone, and delete any that come along on occasion, WITHOUT READING. If they continue, he can tell her he will file harrassment charges against her. He is a former cop, he should know how to stop these from her.

I have, does not good. It costs $75 to file charges against someone here, and these texts do not prove probable cause for harassment in this state.

Like I said before, text messages automatically open on my cell phone, no way to change the setting.

She'll disappear for 6 months or so then I'll get texts again for a few days, then she disappears.

Something I live with like everything else here.

Old 02-18-2019, 01:47 PM

7,043 posts, read 6,293,948 times
Years ago I crocheted a bedspread for my son in what was called, Texas Star. It took three years as it was tedious, I worked full time and lived a life. It turned out beautifully. It was my son's pride and joy.

Fast forward to a couple years ago when my son died and his father and half sister cleaned out his apartment. Although I repeatedly asked his father to give our granddaughter the bedspread, he ignored my calls. (Gee, wonder why I divorced him).

I recently found the pattern on eBay and am in the process of making one for myself. It's not taking as long but will still take quite awhile.

That's how my ex is. Although, it did guarantee he will never contact me.

Old 02-18-2019, 03:05 PM

2,103 posts, read 1,932,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Text messages opens automatically.

I've done that. I won't hear from her for 6 months then text after text.
Jim,

You can block text messages from unwanted sources.

Here are the links showing how to block text messages from android and iphone phones

https://www.psafe.com/en/blog/block-...sages-android/

https://www.ubergizmo.com/how-to/block-sms-iphone/

Old 02-18-2019, 03:33 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,753 times
Just a guess on my part. Maybe we should pay better attention to what Jim is saying.

Not all cell phones are alike. If we are lucky enough to have a smart phone, we lose remembering that flip phones offer much less features and he really is not able to do all the suggestions everyone is making.
Just try to listen to him better.

Old 02-18-2019, 04:17 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,870,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
Jim,

You can block text messages from unwanted sources.

Here are the links showing how to block text messages from android and iphone phones

https://www.psafe.com/en/blog/block-...sages-android/

https://www.ubergizmo.com/how-to/block-sms-iphone/

Thanks. I have a pay per minute cheap (no really cheap) phone, does not permit blocking. Since my cell service is so bad here (can't make or receive calls only texts), there's no reason to pay $100 a month for real cell service. And paying hundreds for a "smart" phone is just dumb.

Old 02-18-2019, 04:38 PM

6,356 posts, read 7,766,843 times
Just returned from the doc earlier this morning. Later on that.

Around a month ago, the doctors over in Vancouver, WA stopped my brother's heart, then restarted it. Something was out of whack and his cardiac rhythm was "skipping a beat". He was extremely afraid, as you would suspect. It was a surprise to us because he is fairly healthy and physically active. Plays basketball several times a week. The procedure didn't work, so several weeks later, they went up through the groin up into his heart and did whatever needed to be done. He is seven years younger than I, 60 years young.

Then I am conscious of my mom dying due to heart issues. She contracted cancer, but they couldn't operate on it because they said here heart couldn't handle the operation. Then there is a known history of the Surber surname and their heart problems since they first came to this country from Switzerland about 250 years ago. My grandma Surber died because in her 70's, she fell and broke her hip. At that time, she realized that she was "getting old and didn't want to be old", so quit her heart medicine and shortly thereafter died. Up to that time, she was a world traveler and bowled several times a week. Very active in an era where seniors were not so active.

So, about six months ago, the doctor gave me a new, low dose heart medicine. I took it about six weeks and then over the next week, noticed that my legs were swelling up greatly. To me, it was gross! "Hmmm. What's different in my life?" Only thing I could think of was the new medicine, so I read the handout sheet and saw where water retention and swelling could be a side-effect. I stopped taking the drug immediately, and several days later when I got in to see him, he prescribed a different drug.

Fast forward to this past week and I read an on-line scientific article that "proves" that two or more diet sodas per day greatly increases the risk of stroke. By a not so insignificant amount. "Oh great! My only vice." I track and record my vitals everyday and went in to see the nurse for a free blood pressure reading and to compare with my home monitor. My BP has been running high. The nurse checks with the doctor and doubles my new dosage, (said it was a mild dose anyway), and has me make an appointment "next available" to discuss the issue.

I went in there this morning, just devastated. I'm not ready to die. Too much to see, do, and experience. I haven't even started Social Security yet. What a waste that would be if I didn't get any. I was almost in tears. I'm physical enough, playing tennis at least once a week, gym several days a week, been shoveling my own snow, bike riding when the roads are dry, hiking in the hills, etc. I do enough to be in decent physical condition. Getting ready to take the Navy Physical Redness Test in a couple of months. At my age, the pass goal is pretty slack. I need to do so many push-ups, sit-ups, and run a mile and a half. (As an adult 'example' for our Sea Cadets. We shouldn't expect them to do anything we are not willing to do ourselves.)

Doc recommended no more processed meat, (too much sodium). I already minimize red meat and normally eat chicken, turkey, or fish when I eat meat. More veggies, but I think have to say that to retain their medical license. And to work up to an hour a day, seven days a week physical exercise. On the days I'm not playing tennis, using the treadmill, or bike riding, he wants me to lift weights. In the past, I very rarely lifted weights. If you could see my physical body, you can instantly tell than I'm a tennis player/bike rider. Toned, muscular legs and bird-skinny arms.

It's going to be tough giving up the diet sodas!

No sympathy sought. I almost feel part of the club now, with the new physical ailments. So, where is the 'old people physical complaint' thread?

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 02-18-2019, 05:13 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,664,245 times
volosong, I'm curious about some things in your post. Were you taking a heart med before the "new, low dose heart medicine" was prescribed? What is the condition that needs medicating? None of my business. I guess I'm wondering if you are treating something or preventing something.

What reason did your doctor give for suggesting that you lift weights? How old is your doctor? You might do some reading about the new thinking about salt and electrolytes in general . That doesn't mean I think you should eat more bologna.

I can't use artificial sweeteners. Some of them raise my BP. I drink a regular soft drink 2-3 times a week. Its not health food but I enjoy it

My mother died when she was 59. I never could imagine myself beyond that age. But here I am. Your brother's experience would certainly be unsettling to say the least.

I hope this is not rude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement