U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 02:21 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,964,817 times

Advertisements

It just occurred to me that a lot of boomers are still affected by our parents' mentality acquired from the Great Depression, to save everything in case scarcity returns and/or prices of things skyrocket. She saved linens like they were going out of style, and I inherited this thing of hoarding linens (sheets, blankets, towels). I'm not so bad with other things, but if you run out of TP you can come to my house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 02:29 PM

2,626 posts, read 4,948,496 times
I am reading a wonderful book about getting rid of stuff:

The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up, the Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing by Marie Kondo. Check it out on Amazon.

This book is what I needed to get my bu!! in gear!

Most methods of decluttering advocate a room-by-room or little-by-little approach. Her method is category-by-category. Take all your clothes out of your closets and drawers....all your clothes. Put them on the floor, handle each one. If it doesn't give you joy, get rid of it.

Marie Kondo is a cleaning consultant in Japan. None of her clients have lapsed into messiness and she has a three-month waiting list. The book gives extremely detailed guidance for determining which items in your house 'spark joy' and which don't. Keep the joyful ones, get rid of the others.

Last edited by popcorn247; 03-27-2015 at 02:40 PM..

Old 03-27-2015, 02:32 PM

6,542 posts, read 3,650,165 times
I moved five generations of high quality 'stuff' into a downsized house on a slab with little storage. I'm considering installing a tram system from the ceiling so I can fly through the house because I can't keep the path open and if I meet the cat halfway through the path somebody has to back up and it's never him.

Old 03-27-2015, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
Take all your clothes out of your closets and drawers....all your clothes. Put them on the floor, handle each one. If it doesn't give you joy, get rid of it.
I'd be just about naked if I did this.

Old 03-27-2015, 04:24 PM

11,419 posts, read 20,245,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I'd be just about naked if I did this.
LOL - my clothes don't "give me joy" either - on the upside - you could move to a nudist colony

Old 03-27-2015, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
LOL - my clothes don't "give me joy" either - on the upside - you could move to a nudist colony
I doubt they'd let me in, lol.

Old 03-27-2015, 04:36 PM

A few years ago, with no opposition from dh, I made a pact with myself to let go of all "heavy possessions." With the picture frames, for ex, which were collectively heavy and largely unused, I vowed to replace them with the lightweight plastic standups. I got rid of all books I will never read again, books I was keeping for l.r. ambience. That ambience was several hundred pounds. Someone else has them now.

Heavy kitchen utensils, for the most part are out, but I cannot part with the beloved black cast-iron pans. I clutch those like my babies. I've given away "heavy" clothing like wool sweaters that require so much care, opting for layering with lightweight nylon sports clothing. Heavy wool coat, goodbye. Columbia jacket, hello.

Other heavy things like furniture I've done well with, getting rid of a 10-ton couch in favor of a nice futon couch that's a sleeper, and now lightweight l.r. chairs. My d.r. set is contemporary danish, easy to move around. If I can't move something by myself without effort, I am getting rid of it.

So what I have left that's heavy are cast iron pans, large plants in glazed ceramic pots, and a massive bedframe of Canadian maple....oh and a computer table with shelves. Here I am stuck, can't seem to move forward. I know some will say I'm jumping the gun and being a fanatic, and I agree. In honesty though, the lighter I go the more free I feel.

Old 03-27-2015, 05:28 PM

16,334 posts, read 10,324,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I moved five generations of high quality 'stuff' into a downsized house on a slab with little storage. I'm considering installing a tram system from the ceiling so I can fly through the house because I can't keep the path open and if I meet the cat halfway through the path somebody has to back up and it's never him.

well, at least you know the cat has the right of way.

Old 03-27-2015, 06:44 PM

9,675 posts, read 15,849,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I sell things on ebay. Your old tablecloths might do well, the vases depending upon what they are. You could go to ebay and type in some keywords into a search and see what you get. If you can figure it out (they've made it sort of complicated lately) search completeds to see what actually sold and what it went for.

I've done it for years and started off with sterling silver flatware after someone died and I didn't need it. I've gotten rid of old coins that were sitting in drawers, mostly for the silver meltdown value when silver was at its highest. Sell old jewelry, anything you don't want. If it has zero or small resale value on ebay, I just donate it to a good cause and I find the Salvation Army is one of the most trustworthy causes.

You'd be amazed at what some old toys are selling for if you still have any of those around--especially plastic junk from the 70s era and later. Macrame plant hangers are "in" again too.

Thanks for the idea---about selling linens on Ebay. I have sold occasionally on Ebay, I'm certainly not a Power Seller, but I do have an account. I've recently sold some American Girl Doll clothes, they always sell!

I have literally a ton of vintage linens---and I do mean a ton! Its amazing how heavy cloth can be! Its stuff from my mother and grandmother's homes, some still new with the tags I was thinking of just donating them, but, thanks to AP I found they do indeed have value on Ebay. Time is getting short, and we have other, more immediate things to worry about, so, I plan to take he linens with us and keep in a storage unit. Its an in-town move, and we are paying for the storage unit, anyways! Then, once the more immediate issues are handled, perhaps sometime in the summer or when the pressure is off, I plan to set up my "vintage linens" store on Ebay. I figure I could get at least $200--$300+

Some things, no matter how "vintage" they are, I would never sell, including an antique vase that belonged to my g-grandmother and made its way through the generations to me! I've had it appraised for ~$4000, but its a family heirloon I will preserve, we are entitled to keep something! But really, I don't need 100+ tablecloths!

Old 03-27-2015, 06:58 PM

9,570 posts, read 10,909,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Some things, no matter how "vintage" they are, I would never sell, including an antique vase that belonged to my g-grandmother and made its way through the generations to me! I've had it appraised for ~$4000, but its a family heirloon I will preserve, we are entitled to keep something! But really, I don't need 100+ tablecloths!
Good for you. Too many people become obsessed with disposing of beautiful things and beautiful memories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement