U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 01:37 PM

804 posts, read 779,736 times

Advertisements

I believe that there is nothing that can give you a better perspective on accumulating things then having to clean out someones house.

I, like so many others, had to clean out my parents house and it was a real eye opener. They did not have a house filled with a lot of junk and were not rich. However, what they did have they took very good care of.

What surprised me the most was finding out that things aren't worth anything in the end. When I think about how fussy my mother was trying to keep her things in good condition and in the end it meant nothing money wise. This was even 4 years ago when things wern't as bad economy wise as they are now.

Fast forward to today and I have decided to start getting rid of my own things (and still have some of my parents stuff). I know I can no longer take care of my home by myself and will have to make a change. I have already taken a car load of stuff to Goodwill and given some things away on Freecycle. Now here I am with stuff pulled out everywhere trying to figure out what to do with it. It is what I call the "inbetween" things. You feel it is too good to give away and yet if you try to sell it what you get wouldn't be worth the effort. I don't have any family or friends to give things to and I am trying to figure out where to go with the stuff.

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions when downsizing of places they may know of that I haven't thought of. So far I came up with:

Goodwill (not too thrilled anymore with donating to them)
Salvation Army
Women's Shelter
Habitat Store
Yard Sale (a lot of work for little money)
Auction House (transporting stuff and paying commission--not worth it)
Freecycle
Craigslist

I have pretty much come to the conclusion that most things will have to be given away which I am OK with. I would feel better though if I could give things to someone who needs it and would appreciate it.

Any other ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 01:42 PM

6,441 posts, read 4,439,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles in PGI View Post
The end of an era is not always a bad thing, even if it were a wonderful era. There are many new things to do and new memories to make for the next era. There will be many more Thanksgivings and get-togethers, not in your house and not around your dining table, but the food will come from your children's kitchen and the joy from their homes. You will help them creating their traditions and adding new memories to the old ones from their younger years. Then you will go home to your new and smaller place where you will make your own set of memories with your husband, and there will be many new things for the two of you to experience together since he will have more time to spend with you.

For most of us, the more years we lived and the longer the journey we travelled, the richer we become with memories and experiences. As every traveller knows, the heavier the luggage we take on the journey, the more effort we would need to lug them along, and the lesser time we would have to enjoy the sights and sounds along our paths.
What he said!

Old 09-18-2011, 02:03 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,788,273 times
The less you have, the more freedom you have. We come into this world with nothing, and leave with nothing. I have no desire for material possessions. When my Moither passes on, I am not going to go dig thru her belongings. It matters little to me. I plan on selling her home as is.

I just don't understand why people are so hung up on old stuff.

Give it all away, and embrace your new freedom.

Old 09-18-2011, 02:55 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,020,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj10 View Post
I came up with:

Salvation Army
Women's Shelter
Habitat Store
Freecycle
Craigslist

I have pretty much come to the conclusion that most things will have to be given away which I am OK with. I would feel better though if I could give things to someone who needs it and would appreciate it.

Any other ideas?
I have a Hospice Thrift Shop near me. Since I support Hospice, it's great to know that everything I donate to the shop raises money for them.

Old 09-18-2011, 04:04 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,788,273 times
I have a belief on giving things away, I had an old piano, beds, other furniture I did not need, I gace it to this family with a blind child, who had grandkids moving back home, they needed the old things I did not need or use. I gave those things away to them. When I got to my new place, I got an unexpected windfall of money, sort of like Karma. Giving back to me. It was amazing. The more you give to others in need, the more you will get back.

Old 09-18-2011, 04:51 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,785,907 times
Today, I gave away an 1880 watt diesel generator, and a 10 inch sears Radial Armsaw. I advertised best offer for both of them, and eventually only a dollar for the saw. No one was interested, so I found a farmer friend who desperately needed a long term generator option but didn't have the $1000 to '
$1800, and could use the cutter.

Old 09-18-2011, 05:00 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,020,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
Today, I gave away an 1880 watt diesel generator, and a 10 inch sears Radial Armsaw. I advertised best offer for both of them, and eventually only a dollar for the saw. No one was interested, so I found a farmer friend who desperately needed a long term generator option but didn't have the $1000 to '
$1800, and could use the cutter.
Aren't you going to need that generator for way up North?

Old 09-18-2011, 05:04 PM

6,465 posts, read 3,378,299 times
Quote:
Any other ideas?
How about a tag sale? I've never made less than $1,000 when having a tag sale. My biggest was $7,000 (lots of old furniture). People will buy ANYTHING. My husband and I still chuckle that someone bought half a bag of kitty litter at one of our tag sales. There will still be leftovers to donate.

Old 09-18-2011, 05:08 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,263,408 times
Quote:
I believe that there is nothing that can give you a better perspective on accumulating things then having to clean out someones house.

I, like so many others, had to clean out my parents house and it was a real eye opener. They did not have a house filled with a lot of junk and were not rich. However, what they did have they took very good care of.

What surprised me the most was finding out that things aren't worth anything in the end. When I think about how fussy my mother was trying to keep her things in good condition and in the end it meant nothing money wise. This was even 4 years ago when things wern't as bad economy wise as they are now.

Fast forward to today and I have decided to start getting rid of my own things (and still have some of my parents stuff). I know I can no longer take care of my home by myself and will have to make a change. I have already taken a car load of stuff to Goodwill and given some things away on Freecycle. Now here I am with stuff pulled out everywhere trying to figure out what to do with it. It is what I call the "inbetween" things. You feel it is too good to give away and yet if you try to sell it what you get wouldn't be worth the effort. I don't have any family or friends to give things to and I am trying to figure out where to go with the stuff.

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions when downsizing of places they may know of that I haven't thought of. So far I came up with:

Salvation Army
Women's Shelter
Habitat Store
Freecycle
Craigslist

Any other ideas?
DJ: I have a friend who is a minister and I often ask him if he has a family that has particular needs - and would be interested in an "anyonymous" donation (such as a good sofa, small appliances, etc). So I would add that to the list - any church you may be affiliated with or a minister you know serves a flock that might include folks who would appreciate a donation of used furniture, appliances, etc.

I so agree w/ you about cleaning out someone else's estate . . . if that isn't a wake up call to how laborious dealing with "stuff" is . . . then I don't know what would be!

I am still trying to downsize and it is a very tedious project. Perhaps the question I should ask myself is - if I were to have to dispose of the bulk of my household today - who would appreciate or want these items? I can honestly say - so much of it, no one else would probably find that interesting or valluable, lol. Maybe keeping that in mind will help me get rid of more things.

Old 09-18-2011, 05:57 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,785,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Aren't you going to need that generator for way up North?
NO.... ITS A DIESEL.

1. Problems with diesels is that that they are designed to be run, and then run for extended times. You can't just start one up for a couple hours. Once you start it, it needs to run for at least 20 hours.

2. Since I would use it not as being off grid, which is what I bought it for originally but as an emergency, there are three things you have to be aware of:

a. just like gas diesel fouls
b. unlike gas, diesel fuel is attractive to certain microbes that like to eat it and then its no good to use in generators or cars, although you can still burn it in an oil burner heater.
c. In cold temperatures, diesel is suceptible to gelling, and then it is two thick to use.

Bottom line: for a relief generator you need somethign that you can start up, and then run for a couple of hours, or a couple of days, and it has to be able to start up instantly without having to have had the carburator fouled or the fuel damaaged. The unit that does all this is a propane powered generator.

I do have a small 1800 watt gasoline one, and if I keep fresh gasoline on hand for it, I can use it in an emergency---for a couple of hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement