Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 07:04 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,078,003 times

Advertisements

NEG I tried to find a Hospice Thrift Store around here and couldn't find any. That is a good idea though because I also think a lot of Hospice.

anifani821 The church suggestion is a good one.

mountinarose I hate showing my studipidity here but is a tag sale the same as a yard or garage sale -- or is there a different method of selling that way? Everything around here is either a yard or garage sale. Someone bought a half bag of kitty litter?? I better be more careful what I throw away. Might be worth some money!

zarathu your story is an example of what I was talking about. You would think there would be someone who would really want those items and yet they didn't sell. I had to smile when I saw you are also from Pennsylvania. I'm beginning to think it's a "location" thing. If you have something that was originally worth $500. and it is still in excellent condition and you are only asking $100. they will want it for $10. Guess it is our frugal, penny pinching upbringing when it comes to buying things.

One thing I have to get rid of which is now seems kind of funny is a collection of bells. Don't ask me why I started collecting them because I have no clue. I now have about 100 different kinds but none of them are worth a lot of money. So -------------what the heck do I do with them? No one wants to buy a whole collection because the fun is finding them yourself. I don't want to try and sell them individually and I don't want to throw them in the trash. I've been wracking my brain trying to think of what to do with them.

Anybody need a bell to let your family know dinners ready ?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 10:49 PM

1,723 posts, read 4,097,668 times
Thanks, but.. I used to collect dinner bells too. They're all stashed away up in the attic now along with the teapot and the doll collection.

and yes, a tag sale is a yard or garage sale.

You could sell your collection on ebay.

Old 09-19-2011, 04:24 AM

973 posts, read 1,705,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I am still trying to downsize and it is a very tedious project. Perhaps the question I should ask myself is - if I were to have to dispose of the bulk of my household today - who would appreciate or want these items? I can honestly say - so much of it, no one else would probably find that interesting or valluable, lol. Maybe keeping that in mind will help me get rid of more things.
This is really keen insight. And I will do this as well when I begin to downsize even more than I have.

Good luck!

Old 09-19-2011, 07:06 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
On your collection of bells, a school for blind children would love that collection, the kids would love them. And you would get a nice tax deduction, knowing your collection would really be appreciated. Just a thought.

The kids would listen to the bells, and compare the sounds of a larger bell and smaller bell. Really cool.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:26 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
On your collection of bells, a school for blind children would love that collection, the kids would love them. And you would get a nice tax deduction, knowing your collection would really be appreciated. Just a thought.

The kids would listen to the bells, and compare the sounds of a larger bell and smaller bell. Really cool.
What an inspired recommendation!

Old 09-19-2011, 07:30 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
This thread is making me chuckle. We're backward. After moving 2,000 miles and buying our retirement home we added measurably to our belongings by totally furnishing and appointing it. Where did we go wrong?

Old 09-19-2011, 09:51 AM

6,434 posts, read 5,250,958 times
I give everything I do not need or want to a women's shelter. Those women and children run to a shelter with nothing but the clothes they are wearing. Once the shelter is placing them in a home they are needing every single item we use in our daily lives and very happy to get it. So even if it's a pile of old pots and pans, a women's shelter will appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj10 View Post
I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions when downsizing of places they may know of that I haven't thought of. So far I came up with:

Goodwill (not too thrilled anymore with donating to them)
Salvation Army
Women's Shelter
Habitat Store
Yard Sale (a lot of work for little money)
Auction House (transporting stuff and paying commission--not worth it)
Freecycle
Craigslist

Any other ideas?

Old 09-19-2011, 10:34 AM

Jasper12 said: On your collection of bells, a school for blind children would love that collection

I never would have thought of that. Great idea.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:04 AM

Curmudgeon "This thread is making me chuckle. We're backward. After moving 2,000 miles and buying our retirement home we added measurably to our belongings by totally furnishing and appointing it. Where did we go wrong? "

Oh Curmudgeon. I'm afraid this problem is bigger than any of us can help you with. You obviously had a momentary lapse of judgement and broke rule 101 "getting rid of things" in the Things You Must Do When Getting Older" guide.

We try on this forum to help others but we apparently failed with you. Perhaps there is a therapy group out there for those who upsize instead of downsize.

In the meantime ....... enjoy all those nice things you bought

Old 09-19-2011, 11:38 AM

4,041 posts, read 2,908,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post

As a former teacher of the blind, I find this an odd recommendation that feeds into stereotypes about disabled people. I don't think the blind children would find them any more fascinating than sighted children. Would you suggest giving them to your local elementary school? Just asking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement