U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 09:37 AM

3,753 posts, read 9,610,770 times

Advertisements

I love the idea of giving the items, good stuff, to a hospice money earning shop or a thrift shop that is affiliated with a group that you would like to support. We have one associated with our woman's domestic violence shelter.

I almost always have a big box of things collected to go to them. It makes me feel good, it gives them good product to sell, the money goes to a good cause and I make the purchasers very happy. I have even bought some good clothing items from them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 11:40 AM

4,123 posts, read 4,751,312 times
That can be tough. Agree that the stuff with sentimental value should go to family if they want it so you know it's there.

Nothing to do with retirement, but I had to get rid of most of my stuff when I moved overseas permanently. It was hard. Some stuff I sold or gave away and am sorry I did. Brought some stuff I could have dumped.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:13 PM

454 posts, read 602,115 times
I downsized bigtime, not because of a move but because i was retiring and tired of so much "stuff"! Did i really need every wall covered with dozens of artwork pictures, clocks, plaques? That many tables hosting that many vases, knick-knacks, figurines? That many pieces of furniture with drawers (that i mostly had junk tossed in them)?

One weekend i took TONS of stuff out to the curb with a big sign "FREE.. NICE CLEAN STUFF!". I tell ya, ALL of it was gone by end of that weekend!

The whole house felt "lighter" and best part was less furniture and things to dust, clean & polish!

Old 08-18-2013, 12:30 PM

28,263 posts, read 39,927,756 times
I can't remember if I posted in this thread before, but...

We are just starting. Basement first. So far we've spent six hours and the amount going out the door and into the trash exceeds the amount we are keeping. The amount we will sell or donate exceeds both those. I'm going to call an old client and ask if I can use his dumpster because it will take months to get rid of what we already have to toss using the city trash removal. Considering how much of the basement is left to process...

I'm finding things I thought were gone from a previous garage sale we had many years ago. Weird.

There going to be some difficulties, I know this for a fact. We have things from both sets of parents that are being kept for sure, like Mrs. Teks fathers navy clothing, and a hula skirt he made from the parachute he used when his plane was shot down. He also used it to sew up injuries after he found a safe place.

Other things will be difficult, but not so much. There are about 200 pieces of depression glass, decorative glass, and Noritake plates to be dealt with from my parents house. And there are quite a large number of (non silver) utensils. I want to sell it all on eBay, but that will take some time and effort and I keep reading that eBay has become an unfriendly place due to charges for listing.

Books. We still have a large number of books. We gave about 3000 to Planned Parenthood from my parents house and probably a thousand more since, but I'm guessing we have about 2000 more to donate or sell. there will be some difficult decisions while going through those considering how fanatic we are about books and reading.

And after the basement is done we move up a floor at a time. On the plus side Mrs. Tek has been working on her office and I did mine after it was decided that I was no longer going to work. That will save a lot of effort now.

We'll get it done, but it will be tough going for some of it.

Old 08-18-2013, 04:34 PM

1,831 posts, read 2,600,726 times
I'm also in this club. This is our fall and winter project. Depression glass, old glass and dishes, what to do with them? I have sold on eBay years ago but also have the impression it's been taken over by the stores and major players, not us little people just wanting to get rid of stuff. I may try Craigslist for some stuff, probably give a lot away.

Old 08-18-2013, 05:09 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,398,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyLuvsToTravel View Post
I downsized bigtime, not because of a move but because i was retiring and tired of so much "stuff"! Did i really need every wall covered with dozens of artwork pictures, clocks, plaques? That many tables hosting that many vases, knick-knacks, figurines? That many pieces of furniture with drawers (that i mostly had junk tossed in them)?

One weekend i took TONS of stuff out to the curb with a big sign "FREE.. NICE CLEAN STUFF!". I tell ya, ALL of it was gone by end of that weekend!

The whole house felt "lighter" and best part was less furniture and things to dust, clean & polish!
I am so ready to pitch it all. I'm painting this entire house (inside) and am tired of moving "stuff" out of the way so I can freely paint that I now look at many of these things as "the enemy". Today the dog was in front of me no matter which direction I was going - for just a brief moment - naw, just kidding - he's stuck with me.

Old 08-18-2013, 05:53 PM

18,717 posts, read 26,926,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choff5 View Post
I have sold on eBay years ago but also have the impression it's been taken over by the stores and major players, not us little people just wanting to get rid of stuff. I may try Craigslist for some stuff, probably give a lot away.
There's also a scam going around now targeting eBay sellers. No matter how carefully you package something the buyer will insist it's damaged, and even though you noted "no refunds" they will demand refunds. And they will make a lot of demands, as well as start putting angry notices on your account. If you agree to the refund they find reasons to hit you up for more and more until you agree to pay $$$ to have them go away. I hear eBay is currently covering the financial part of the scam (giving refunds) but the more they do this the more people realize this is a gold mine of a scam. And apparently some sellers have had a lot of problems with harassment, especially if the buyer is international. If you are good at sticking with your guns and refusing to play the game, you'll probably be ok, since eBay is covering the refunds--but my life is busy right now and it just seems like more trouble than I want to deal with.

I'm also not a big fan of Craigs List anymore. Such a shame--there was a time I thought it was the greatest idea around. We used to sell things on Craigs List all the time, but this year it's been so annoying it's not really worthwhile anymore. If you do use Craigs List, agree to meet the buyer in a public place. I used to have people come over to my house to look at items--won't do that anymore. The last guy who came over gave me a good scare.

Of course, this is just my experience--ohers might have had more luck.

So what's worked for us this year? So far, the best bet has been donating to charities. Be sure to get the tax write off and our accountant says to take photos of everything you donate, just in case they start asking for this. (Not sure if it's a valid worry, but it doesn't hurt to take that photo so I go ahead and do it.)

Also, we've sold quite a few things through our HOA newsletter. The ads are free and the response has been good. Another thing I like is the people who answer our ads in the newsletter usually don't try to bargain with us. Or, if they do, they don't become a real PITA about trying to squeeze every last bit out of you. You tell them what you're selling something for and they usually say "ok." I like that.

Last edited by Caladium; 08-18-2013 at 06:09 PM..

Old 08-18-2013, 05:57 PM

18,717 posts, read 26,926,426 times
Today was a grey day so we took advantage of the cool weather to rent a van and move quite a bit of stuff to the new house. It's amazing how packing up a moving van will make you re-evaluate the things you own. I've been packing boxes for weeks, and with some items it was clear what I wanted to keep and what I wanted to give away. With other things it wasn't as easy--sometimes it's hard to decide whether I would ever want certain things again or if it was time to give them away. Then you pack the van and realize you don't really need those things down in the new house. (At least not quite yet, you tell yourself). What I've noticed is that when you put boxes aside today, it becomes easier to look at them again tomorrow and realize it's time to part with them altogether.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:23 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,991,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
I am so ready to pitch it all. I'm painting this entire house (inside) and am tired of moving "stuff" out of the way so I can freely paint that I now look at many of these things as "the enemy". Today the dog was in front of me no matter which direction I was going - for just a brief moment - naw, just kidding - he's stuck with me.
Pitch it all? Everything? LOL. I can see you doing that. Is there a move in your near future?

Old 08-18-2013, 08:57 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,398,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Pitch it all? Everything? LOL. I can see you doing that. Is there a move in your near future?
Let's hope there is a move soon. This house is getting so cute I may want to stay - just kidding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement