U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 07:57 PM

6,034 posts, read 13,134,591 times

Advertisements

I really don't know... but no I'm not making a joke. My mother was born in 1957 and according to grandma it was my mother's dirty diaper that got tossed out the window on a road trip and landed in somebody's convertible... She said everybody did that back then... just tossed things out the window!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 08:17 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,668,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
My grandmother told me that when she was raising her babies it was totally normal and acceptable to just chuck trash out the car window. She would change diapers and chuck them out the window while grandpa drove!

So one day they are driving from Texas to California with 5 babies in the car - no car seats of course back then, either lol - and baby's diaper needs changing. So grandma changes the diaper and chucks the diaper out the window. Uh oh!! Somebody had a convertible with the top down!

Yep. I remember people doing that too regarding trash. But I never heard of anyone throwing diapers out of the window. I guess your grandma didn't want the smelly diaper in the car.

Old 09-16-2011, 06:05 AM

156 posts, read 328,747 times
To the OP

Isn't it true that back in the day most of the things that we use now didn't exist? Doesn't technology have something to do with this? Are you saying you don't use now any of the things you described?
I am pretty sure the ecological problem didn't come from 5-10 years of "not being green". It started maybe with the first machine and if only now we are developing a conscience about it, has nothing to do with the fact that pollution didn't exist 50 years ago. It's just that it wasn't promoted and nobody really cared about that.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:03 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,487,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkk2chane View Post
To the OP

Isn't it true that back in the day most of the things that we use now didn't exist? Doesn't technology have something to do with this? Are you saying you don't use now any of the things you described?
I am pretty sure the ecological problem didn't come from 5-10 years of "not being green". It started maybe with the first machine and if only now we are developing a conscience about it, has nothing to do with the fact that pollution didn't exist 50 years ago. It's just that it wasn't promoted and nobody really cared about that.
I stand corrected. It's two!

Of course we use modern technology. The point of the tale is that being castigated for what and how society and technology were 50-60 years ago is not just pointless but politically correct (a misnomer if ever there was one) elitism.

Old 09-17-2011, 09:07 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,355,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkk2chane View Post
You are so right. Yes, there were more reusable containers in use 50 years ago, for sure. But, there was also wanton use of resources, all over the place, and little regard for pollution and decimation of natural habitats.

For example, I grew up a 10 minute walk away from a wax factory (made blocks of paraffin for canning.) And there was a creek that ran through the neighbourhood. We used to play around pools of polluted water across from the factory, and in various parts of the creek, polluted with dark brown globs of the byproducts of wax-making, as it meandered past people's homes and into the local woods. This was a exurb neighbourhood, small village on the edge of farmland, not an industrial area at all. My point is that we thought nothing of this, nor did anybody else.

People also thought nothing of spraying all kinds of harmful chemicals on their fruit trees and crops. Think about DDT--almost made Bald Eagles and Ospreys extinct.

So let's not idealize the "good old days" too much.

Old 09-17-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwanderer View Post
So let's not idealize the "good old days" too much.
Actually, lets. They were decidedly simpler and in the main, more civil times and we didn't know then what we know now. Those who wish to hold us oldsters to account for way back when are barking up the wrong tree.

Old 09-17-2011, 02:45 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,736,002 times
Perhaps it has been the generation in between who did not do the green thing.
When you are young, everyone over 40 is ancient but I suspect it is those in the 40-55 age range who were most ungreen due to the culture they grew up in.

Old 09-17-2011, 03:32 PM

6,034 posts, read 13,134,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwanderer View Post
And kids get chauffeured everywhere these days, regardless of location or safety. Kids actually went outside and played back then, instead of playing video games. Think of the energy *that* would save!
Not my kids. My kids take the bus to school and ride their bikes to where ever else they need to or want to go. Even in the cold rainy Oregon winters. and they play on team sports 3 afternoons a week after school and spend their weekends at games or tournaments or riding bikes with their friends or swimming at the indoor pools. They do also play video games, they especially like the wii which gets you up and moving. And their friends lives are very similar. The only kids I know who play video games after school during the week are the ones whose parents work and they are not involved in after school activities - so they are latch key kids who let themselves in to an empty house after school and play video games until mom or dad gets home. My kids and most of the other kids we know aren't even allowed to play video games during the week and most are involved in sports - our kids get more regular exercise than we or most of the adults we know do!

Old 09-17-2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Not my kids. My kids take the bus to school and ride their bikes to where ever else they need to or want to go. Even in the cold rainy Oregon winters. and they play on team sports 3 afternoons a week after school and spend their weekends at games or tournaments or riding bikes with their friends or swimming at the indoor pools. They do also play video games, they especially like the wii which gets you up and moving. And their friends lives are very similar. The only kids I know who play video games after school during the week are the ones whose parents work and they are not involved in after school activities - so they are latch key kids who let themselves in to an empty house after school and play video games until mom or dad gets home. My kids and most of the other kids we know aren't even allowed to play video games during the week and most are involved in sports - our kids get more regular exercise than we or most of the adults we know do!
Back in the day - 40s and 50s - organized activities were relatively rare but for Little League and Pop Warner and they only took an afternoon or two and maybe a Saturday game. So what did we children do? We used our imaginations to entertain ourselves and actually - and this may require translation - played! And we did it outdoors.

Old 09-17-2011, 05:44 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,668,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Back in the day - 40s and 50s - organized activities were relatively rare but for Little League and Pop Warner and they only took an afternoon or two and maybe a Saturday game. So what did we children do? We used our imaginations to entertain ourselves and actually - and this may require translation - played! And we did it outdoors.
Yes, and we certainly did not want parents interferring in our games. That was unheard of!

There was no Little League in my Chicago neighborhood. And girls wouldn't have been allowed if there were. All the nieghborhood kids played softball in the alley. If you could hold a bat, you were in.

The Green Thing mentions pop bottles being returned to stores. One of the kids' pastimes was to go around the neighborhoods collecting all the bottles we could find for our two cent deposit. I guess you could say we were the precursors of the modern day bottle recycling system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or