U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 09:50 AM

3,458 posts, read 3,110,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
To meet your specific needs as described is not real difficult. You could look in the Wilmington area with multiple beaches close by.
i think her expectations are completely unrealistic for anywhere in the Carolinas.

They need to make a choice: either they want to live close to the ocean (like, within 2 hours), and deal with humidity and hurricanes and such... or they want to live far from the ocean (like, 4 or 5+ hours), and enjoy a slightly milder climate at a higher elevation.

in wilmington, for example it takes a solid 30 minutes to get from downtown Wilmington to the beaches once you count parking and traffic. In Charleston you're looking at the same thing, about 30 minutes might get you from N. Charleston to Folly or Sullivans Island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 09:51 AM

1 posts, read 1,091 times
do you want to be in a "active'" COMMUNITY with lots of fun stuff to do... Aherman

Old 09-13-2011, 09:52 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,967,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Hey folks, the lady states she wants to be "closer to the ocean". The places mentioned aren't even close to the ocean!
Use your imagination

Old 09-13-2011, 09:52 AM

6,386 posts, read 3,349,398 times
PS--Forgot to mention transportation---there is a bus that gets you from BM into Asheville and environs and runs quite frequently during the day and If I remember correctly is quite inexpensive.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
i think her expectations are completely unrealistic for anywhere in the Carolinas, Wilmington, Charleston, or anywhere.

They need to make a choice: either they want to live close to the ocean (like, within 2 hours), and deal with humidity and hurricanes and such... or they want to live far from the ocean (like, 4 or 5+ hours), and enjoy a slightly milder climate at a higher elevation.

in wilmington, it takes a solid 30 minutes to get from downtown Wilmington to the beaches once you count parking and traffic.
I don't think that $300-$400K for a house near (30 min) the coast is unrealistic, it doesn't have to be a McMansion. There's plenty of property in that range in the Carolinas, Delaware, and Maine. Skip Massachusetts.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I don't think that $300-$400K for a house near (30 min) the coast is unrealistic, it doesn't have to be a McMansion. There's plenty of property in that range in the Carolinas, Delaware, and Maine. Skip Massachusetts.
did you read my post? i didn't say it was the price that was unrealistic.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
did you read my post? i didn't say it was the price that was unrealistic.
Yes I misread. I also didn't catch her "not in the midst of tourists" lol
Do you live in the Carolinas?

On the Eastern coast, it's either wilt in the horrid summers in the South or freeze your butt off in the long winters in the North.

With that amount to spend, I would choose Cape Elizabeth, Camden, or Bar Harbor all in Maine.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Yes I misread. Do you live in the Carolinas?
there is no such place

but yes, i have lived in South Carolina, and I have lived in North Carolina.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:09 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,467,321 times
Quote:
What is EMP? Why is it centered in Black Mountain?
I believe the author of the novel lives there. He writes what he knows. That's all.

EMP = Electro-Magnetic Pulse. It's a by-product of nuclear explosions and can wipe out the entire electrical grid of anywhere the blast radius covers provided they're very high-altitude air bursts - no fallout or blast damage, just EMP.

Anything not solid-state and not "hardened" would immediately cease to work, especially in this computer-driven world we've created.

Imagine every aircraft in flight immediately falling out of the sky, all cars on the roads stopping and unable to go on, no more electricity in homes or businesses, no more radio, television, phones, computers or any other means of communication but smoke signals and semaphores. That would be the way things would become.

Not just the mechanical but the social impacts would be horrendous. Barter would replace money and "survival of the fittest" would be the order of the day as people scavenged, possibly one another, to feed themselves. Kiss running water, heating and air conditioning goodbye along with all the lights but candles, lanterns and battery powered.

And that would just be the beginning!

Old 09-13-2011, 10:46 AM

6,131 posts, read 6,440,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollydo View Post
Weaverville and Black Mountain are both nice for retired folks and your price range is very doable.
If the OP likes the mountains, the Asheville, NC area might be a good choice. I own property in Weaverville, which is a quaint little town right next to Asheville. Most everything you need is nearby (meaning less than 5 miles of so), including the Blue Ridge Parkway. Black Mountain is nice too, but it's not as close to Asheville and a little bit remote.

Nice summers but coldish winters.
Nearest major airport is Charlotte, which is over 2 hours away.
Natives don't care for the non-natives.
Very liberal area.
Beautiful mountains and natural scenery.
Popular place for second home of people from northeast and southeast.

Personally, I don't care much for coastal living...but I enjoy visiting. You may want to look at Hilton Head, SC or along the nearby coast. Also, maybe Wilmington, NC or the little towns in the Outer Banks area if you like that sort of thing, but watch out for hurricanes.

Some place else you might want to consider is midway between the mountains and the coast. Chapel Hill is a very nice place next to Raleigh/Durham...and home of UNC-Chapel Hill.

Last edited by highcotton; 09-13-2011 at 11:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement