U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 05:41 PM

29,784 posts, read 34,880,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
So I retired to High Rock Lake in Salisbury,NC. My wife and I really enjoy the area 3 Colleges in town plenty of young people so I can feel older then I am. If you like golf there are 4 good layouts to play on. See a lot of people biking and just relaxing. Plenty of restaurants. 1 hour to Charlotte, Winston and Greensboro. Nice area nice people.
I had a son go to college there for a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Hmm, the wiki demographic data is based on the 2000 Census. Try looking elsewhere for the 2010 stuff. For those who care about such things, the white population appears to be greater than 70% and the town also appears to be growing. There's also a greater percentage of married couples compared to the national average and a greater percentage of Baptists. Unemployment is a tad higher as is crime. I can't link to the numbers without linking to a site that would violate the TOS. Google or DuckDuckGo is your friend.
Very true and accurate. New Bern has been discovered and has a larger affluent population now than a few years ago. That affluent population for the most part was not attracted by the prospect of employment.

Old 09-14-2011, 05:50 PM

14,247 posts, read 44,937,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
i think her expectations are completely unrealistic for anywhere in the Carolinas.

They need to make a choice: either they want to live close to the ocean (like, within 2 hours), and deal with humidity and hurricanes and such... or they want to live far from the ocean (like, 4 or 5+ hours), and enjoy a slightly milder climate at a higher elevation.

in wilmington, for example it takes a solid 30 minutes to get from downtown Wilmington to the beaches once you count parking and traffic. In Charleston you're looking at the same thing, about 30 minutes might get you from N. Charleston to Folly or Sullivans Island.
I think this is the unvarnished truth - if you live somewhere that you can easily get to the ocean, that means, the ocean can also easily get to you.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I think this is the unvarnished truth - if you live somewhere that you can easily get to the ocean, that means, the ocean can also easily get to you.
The funny thing is that being retired has made the heat and humidity more easy to deal with. We have control over when we go out and when we don't and most importantly where we go.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:05 AM

21 posts, read 56,372 times
Thanks for all of your input. My husband and I don't need a job so work is not important. We love the palm trees, green grass and the mediteranean home styles that Florida has to offer and thought that living in South Carolina those traits would convey. But after looking at homes on line in the Mt Pleasant and Summerville areas we found the homes to look like they do here in Upstate NY. We were looking for a lifestyle change, being able to walk on the beaches, go to quaint places for coffee, meet new people and have a nice open floor plan with Florida style homes. We like to get out in the nice weather and for 4 months out of the year (or more) we fight snow, ice and cold in the North East. We are tired of it. I'm sorry for continuously bringing up Florida but everything was right for us except the extreme heat!! I wonder if we could build a Florida style home in SC and plant some palms!! Believe it or not, we are looking on the coast for a home. The James Island and the others scare me for Hurricanes but I hear they are nice! I'm rambling...sorry.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:14 AM

21 posts, read 56,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
I don't want to argue with people but I have two house in North Carolina, one two hours from the beach and the other at the beach. There are a variety of options within or adjacent to each of the areas. Humidity etc is in the skin of the beholder. I believe the OP is currently in up state NY so yes the Carolina's are more humid but only they can tell if it is to humid.

I am in Upstate NY which is too cold in the winter that's why we are moving South. I don't mind heat and humidity but we found that in Florida, where we were initially planning on moving was to the extreme and I can't take such a prolonged period of it. We were for looking for a "happy medium" area to enjoy. And you are right, heat and humidity is in the skin of the beholder!

Old 09-15-2011, 08:18 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,497,588 times
The most difficult thing for me to give up by moving to the "interior" was the ocean. I was born and raised on the shore and have to admit I miss the sounds, smells and sights of it. It was a real compromise to trade it in for the shore of a large lake but at least its water and that was something both my wife and I wanted to be close to, and are.

I'm not sure that there is really any "perfect" place to settle so it does become a compromise; especially one with Mother Nature. If you have a list of, say, 10 things you really want in a place to settle, eight out of ten isn't bad and is probably about the best you can do. What's important is thorough research, visits to potential sites and a willingness to give up a bit of this for a lot of that. In our case, no regrets! That's what counts most of all.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:51 AM

28,508 posts, read 62,217,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happinow View Post
for 4 months out of the year (or more) we fight snow, ice and cold in the North East. We are tired of it.
Florida... everything was right for us except the extreme heat!!
This is known as a dilemma.
You can't escape them no matter where you go and you aren't alone in this.
A very common solution is to snowbird.

With that $400,000 budget you have...
get a nicer $200-250K place in Florida for the best 6-8 months there...
and get a simpler $100-150K in the Adirondacks or Catskills for the best 4-6 months there.
Take a meandering road trip twice a year migrating north and south.

Be happy that you can afford the solution to your problem.
Most can't.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happinow View Post
I am in Upstate NY which is too cold in the winter that's why we are moving South. I don't mind heat and humidity but we found that in Florida, where we were initially planning on moving was to the extreme and I can't take such a prolonged period of it. We were for looking for a "happy medium" area to enjoy. And you are right, heat and humidity is in the skin of the beholder!
I think you can find what you are looking for in the Carolina's.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
This is known as a dilemma.
You can't escape them no matter where you go and you aren't alone in this.
A very common solution is to snowbird.

With that $400,000 budget you have...
get a nicer $200-250K place in Florida for the best 6-8 months there...
and get a simpler $100-150K in the Adirondacks or Catskills for the best 4-6 months there.
Take a meandering road trip twice a year migrating north and south.

Be happy that you can afford the solution to your problem.
Most can't.
Great advice and I can tell you it works! They don't don't need to be a great distance apart either (depending on your wants). My hunch is that in this case they want the beach in the Spring-Fall. The Carolinas have a longer beach season compared to the northern beaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement