U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 04:53 PM

7,042 posts, read 7,002,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
What family and friends have done here for generations is have a small home in one place and a larger home in the other . . . or two condos . . . or a mountain home and a house/condo elsewhere (Fla, NC, SC). Or some have retired to the mountains and then rent a furnished condo for the winter in Florida (or vice versa). You can enjoy the best of the weather and social season this way in both places. If you choose to make Florida your permanent residence but spend part of the year in NC, there can be a tax benefit to that strategy.
When I lived in SE Florida near the coast, a number of my neighbors lived in the North Carolina mountains during the hot FL summer months and returned to SE FL for the wonderful mild winter weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 12:07 PM

4,575 posts, read 7,067,487 times
nice, if you can afford two homes

Old 05-23-2013, 10:29 PM

606 posts, read 557,352 times
Pinehurst, dear friend who grew up in Greenville, NC has kin residing in Pinehurst. Lovely home she says. It's about an hour plus to Raleigh, two plus to Wilmington.?

Hendersonville, NC, south of Asheville is supposed to be a popular town for retirees. When
DH and I visited Franklin, NC, met Many folks who had retired to FL and fleeing to NC.

For myself, the folks of NC made me feel right at home ! Was informed of a fair at a
college in Sylva while in Dillsboro. First event we attended at the fair, was a local bluegrass band! All kinds of homemade, beautiful crafts were there. Went to the car,
DH (he walked with a cane)waited on a hay bale, a gent came along started talking to my
DH like a long lost friend. Highlight of my DH trip, he often recalled many times !

Warning, NYer. Beware of some sweet tea! As much as I enjoy it, some can put you into a diabetic coma-LOL

This was my first trip to the South and cherish the wonderful memories.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:36 PM

10,819 posts, read 8,073,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sera View Post
Warning, NYer. Beware of some sweet tea! As much as I enjoy it, some can put you into a diabetic coma-LOL
This is true. Don't go there unless you normally add a couple of heaping spoonfuls to your cup of coffee.
It's perfectly acceptable to request unsweetened tea. From May through October I drink iced tea with and between meals whether at home, restaurants, friends' homes, or special events. Unsweetened is always available.

Old 05-25-2013, 08:47 AM

7,042 posts, read 7,002,885 times
Default Sweet Tea

Quote:
Originally Posted by sera View Post
I live in the south and request half & half tea--1/2 sweet tea and 1/2 unsweet tea. This cuts down on the calories and sugar and still tastes good.

Old 05-25-2013, 12:24 PM

38 posts, read 40,836 times
[quote=rothbear;29637342]Gentlespirit..........Not sure where you are living now or when the last time you were back home, but the northern parts of Lancaster and York Counties are doing decently. Housing developments going up all around and businesses going up everywhere. I live in a Sun City just 5 miles south of the the NC border and they are selling homes faster than they can build them. And even re-sales are going strong. Plus there are many other regular family housing developments selling fast. And last November Lancaster Co. passed a referendum to allow Sunday liquor sales in restaurants, so we should be getting more of those soon. And Publix chose Indian Land and Tega Cay to build their first stores going into the Charlotte market. Anyone interested in this area needs to check out the York/Lancaster Co. section of the South Carolina board on C-D. And since we are only about 9 miles down the road from the I-485 loop around Charlotte, we can get to virtually everything Charlotte has to offer in decent time. Even Lake Norman is only a little over an hour away up I-77. Red Ventures here in Indian Land is expanding again, and MetLife is moving their offices to Ballantyne and we fully expect many of them to actually purchase here in SC just over the border. Of course all of this is going to bring in more businesses as well.

As far as medical facilities. The actual closest hospital to us is Carolina Medical Center in Waxhaw, NC. Only about a year old and beautiful. The next closest is Carolina Medical Center in Pineville, NC. As I'm sure you know, the CMC system is huge with many hospitals. Plus I really haven't heard any complaints about Springs Hospital from anyone who has been there. They have a satellite physical therapy office that is golf cart drivable for us. There is supposed to be a new hospital built in Fort Mill, but unfortunately there has been an argument about who will build it the last several years. CMC won out, but now Piedmont is contesting it in court......some day! There are also bunches of new doctor's offices going up here.....probably something to do with Sun City, but benefiting all in the area.....including 2 brand new medical buildings within 1/2 mi., one housing a branch of the Mecklenburg Medical Group, which is probably the largest group of doctor's here.

Now I'm not saying that further south in the county doesn't have some depressed areas, but the panhandle areas are doing fine. We have the best of both Carolina worlds. Near Charlotte for everything it has to offer, yet actually in South Carolina where the taxes are better![/quo

Yes, further south in the county has some depressed areas. That's the understatement of the year. The Ballantyne-Indian Land-Fort Mill area isn't financially accessible to everyone. I left there for what I hope will be the last time in August 2012. Lancaster itself has buildings that have sat empty since I was a child. (I'm now in my mid 40's.) If you drive just a few miles south of the area you're talking about, the picture changes, and it changes quickly.

If you can afford it, yeah, sure. But don't be surprised to find out that there's a sharp divide between the haves and the have nots in Lancaster County. Make sure you know which side of the divide you'll be on before moving there. Make sure you can shell out the big bucks to live there, because that's what it's gonna take to live where Rothbear is talking about.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:16 PM

15 posts, read 21,482 times
North Myrtle Beach!!! If you like Golf!!!

Old 05-31-2013, 09:40 PM

1,803 posts, read 3,839,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlespirit512 View Post
Yes, further south in the county has some depressed areas. That's the understatement of the year. The Ballantyne-Indian Land-Fort Mill area isn't financially accessible to everyone. I left there for what I hope will be the last time in August 2012. Lancaster itself has buildings that have sat empty since I was a child. (I'm now in my mid 40's.) If you drive just a few miles south of the area you're talking about, the picture changes, and it changes quickly.

If you can afford it, yeah, sure. But don't be surprised to find out that there's a sharp divide between the haves and the have nots in Lancaster County. Make sure you know which side of the divide you'll be on before moving there. Make sure you can shell out the big bucks to live there, because that's what it's gonna take to live where Rothbear is talking about.

It appears you are of the same mindset as the county commissioners here in Lancaster Co. You think that if we live in the panhandle we are a bunch of rich old geezers with nothing better to do with our money than buy huge houses and Cadillacs and Lincolns, so heck let's just soak them. Or at least rich people in general. Guess what.......you are wrong. Even though both my DH and myself have college degrees, neither one of us ever made more than $45K in a year........and I never made that much ever. In fact, I didn't work at all for about 12 years before moving down here and then took a CS job for about $25K/year. And I supported this house, except for the mortgage which came out of savings, completely on that salary as DH was still in PA trying to sell our other house. We just worked and saved for more than 35 years. We are nowhere near upper class...or "haves" as you put it, in fact probably closer to lower middle class. Our income this year is going to be probably less than $25K and we aren't retired on SS yet as DH salary was cut in 1/2 and I only work 1 day a week. But I digress. You can easily find a very nice house for $170K-$180K around here if you don't insist on tons of upgrades over what is included in the price. And that's for a new house. Older houses for less. If someone can only afford a $50K or less house, then no, they will probably not find much available that is fancy, but they probably can be found.

Anyway, I'm glad that you are happy wherever you are, but I just didn't want people to think that you had to be a millionaire to live here. Take it from someone who is living nicely, but no where near that level. I only wish you the best of luck in your future.

Old 06-05-2013, 12:40 AM

38 posts, read 40,836 times
I guess my point is that I know lots of people in Lancaster County who would dream of a $170-$180K house and never be able to manage it. I surely never meant to insult you, but if you have gone further south, I think you probably know what I mean. And you do pretty much have to live within that distinct area you mentioned to live more "nicely." So yes, as long as someone stays within a certain boundary, they will possibly enjoy a nice lifestyle. But that is not all there is to Lancaster County.

I wish you well too, and hope the poster finds what he or she is looking for.

Old 08-03-2013, 03:56 PM

662 posts, read 941,382 times
In light of their apparent political stripe, I'd say neither one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement