Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 02:20 PM

21 posts, read 61,826 times

Advertisements

Hi. My husband and I are looking to retire. We all but moved to Lake Mary Florida and after much research, we found that we probably could not stand the extreme heat and humidity. Now we are looking at the Carolinas. We are both in our early 50's, and active. We are looking for a nice community in a smaller town but not to rural. We want shopping and dining within minutes. We love the ocean so living 30 minutes or so from the ocean would be great. Not too keen on living coastal due to hurricanes and tornadoes. We want a single family home in a quiet neighborhood and not in the midst of the tourists. A gated community would be nice. We are looking to spend between 300,000 and 400,000. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I feel like I'm looking for a needle in a haystack since I know nothing about the Carolinas. Also, we want a low crime area. My adult daughter lives in Raleigh but not sure that's for me. Want to be closer to the ocean! Thanks for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 06:27 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,966,637 times
Black Mountain, North Carolina (near Asheville) - great little town for retirees.

Old 09-13-2011, 06:46 AM

2,289 posts, read 5,773,237 times
Weaverville and Black Mountain are both nice for retired folks and your price range is very doable.

Old 09-13-2011, 06:57 AM

During the mid 20th Century Black Mountain was a hub of American culture. Black Mountain College for the arts was founded in 1933 and has a most interesting history. Some of the greatest American artists (painters deKooning and Motherwell, composer John Cage, dance artist Merce Cunningham, trustee Albert Einstein) and writers of all time were there. It has a small downtown with a great cafe, the kind of place you want to sit in a rocking chair and gaze at the mountains. Close to Asheville without having to live there. On my visit I loved the neighborhoods and the feeling in the air.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:06 AM

8,940 posts, read 20,366,150 times
Hey folks, the lady states she wants to be "closer to the ocean". The places mentioned aren't even close to the ocean!

Quote:
Originally Posted by happinow View Post
Hi. My husband and I are looking to retire. We all but moved to Lake Mary Florida and after much research, we found that we probably could not stand the extreme heat and humidity. Now we are looking at the Carolinas. We are both in our early 50's, and active. We are looking for a nice community in a smaller town but not to rural. We want shopping and dining within minutes. We love the ocean so living 30 minutes or so from the ocean would be great. Not too keen on living coastal due to hurricanes and tornadoes. We want a single family home in a quiet neighborhood and not in the midst of the tourists. A gated community would be nice. We are looking to spend between 300,000 and 400,000. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I feel like I'm looking for a needle in a haystack since I know nothing about the Carolinas. Also, we want a low crime area. My adult daughter lives in Raleigh but not sure that's for me. Want to be closer to the ocean! Thanks for your time.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:12 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,469,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Black Mountain, North Carolina (near Asheville) - great little town for retirees.
There's a very interesting book centered on Black Mountain entitled One Second After by William R. Forstchen. I consider it a "must read" for anyone whose never been in the military and doesn't know about EMP. It's also a great story and what it portrays could all too easily happen.

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 09-13-2011 at 07:24 AM..

Old 09-13-2011, 07:23 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,945,062 times
Quote:
My husband and I are looking to retire.
We are both in our early 50's...
Does the choice need to have an active economy where you can find work too?
(not a lot of that anywhere east of Raleigh)

As to humidity...
those western NC resort towns began as a haven from the Carolina summers.

Quote:
... single family home ... quiet neighborhood ... $300- 400,000 ...
not in the midst of the tourists ... 30 minutes or so from the ocean
... could not stand the extreme heat and humidity.
You can get close on most points...
but I don't think all of these exist in any one spot... anywhere.

Last edited by MrRational; 09-13-2011 at 08:09 AM..

Old 09-13-2011, 09:28 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,032,115 times
Quote:
To meet your specific needs as described is not real difficult. You could look in the Wilmington area with multiple beaches close by. You can find what you are looking for as many others have. Depending on where you are you could be within a couple of hours of your daughter in Raleigh. Also the Atlantic Beach area or any of the coastal beach areas will have something close to what you want. I would suggest taking some time SOON while the water is still warm and try exploring the coastal region. I am at the Carolina beach right now and yes it is still warm and I shall be in it soon.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:45 AM

12,033 posts, read 6,565,777 times
happinow,

Funny that so many here brought up Black Mountain, as we looked all over the country for two years and chose Black Mountain, NC to retire to. We didn't like it that much on our first impression (came on a holiday when lots of tourists were there), but when you spend more time there all the little hidden magic parts appear. The people are wonderful, great friendly and involved community, very low crime, a fabulous Arts Center, gorgeous trails and hiking, mountain views everywhere, good RE prices, and the best part it is so close to Asheville and all its ammenities (15 minute drive), but away from all the congestion and traffic. More than just your basic needs are there, yet, it is still a small town feel.

The Black Mountain area is attracting some very creative investors from off-the-grid developers, organic farming communities, and a really nice "new-urban" walkable community called Cheshire Village which is built like an old English village with creek, park, Artisan gourmet market, pub, fine dining, cheap dining, with doctor, dentist, medical and gym all across the street and walkable to Black Mountain's downtown. Cheshire is pricey, but it is indicative of the confidence people have in the area.
North Carolina Mountain Vacations & Homes - Village of Cheshire - Asheville NC

Also, there is a great variety of RE prices in Black Mountain area from very rural to town-walkable. There's a nice town park with lake and trails and a public golf course. Black Mountain is about 2,400 elevation, but you can buy/build all the way to 4,000 (very low humidity but more snow) and still be only 10-15 minutes to town.
Another area we really liked was the Blowing Rock/Boone area. But I have some health issues, and the health care in Asheville is top notch, although Boone does have a good hospital and a small one in Blowing Rock.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
There's a very interesting book centered on Black Mountain entitled One Second After by William R. Forstchen. I consider it a "must read" for anyone whose never been in the military and doesn't know about EMP. It's also a great story and what it portrays could all too easily happen.
What is EMP? Why is it centered in Black Mountain?

Closer to the ocean....will think about that.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement