U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 10:29 AM

5,090 posts, read 13,556,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
One of the greatest things about retirement is letting go of material needs and possessions. My possessions load keeps getting lighter and lighter, and my diet keeps getting simpler and more wholesome. Magazine subscriptions and buying books, no longer. I get my literature at libraries and on the Net. In another 5 years or so I may make another life change that puts me in a cabin, not in the woods b/c for me, the simplest living in this day and age, independent of a vehicle, can be had within a town or city. Hairdos and clothes and all the stuff I had to have for work, poof. My relationships with friends, my kids, my siblings, even my ex have improved and I feel at peace. I cannot imagine dying surrounded by stuff. I would like more money to travel, but the materialistic side of travel is a downer for me. I could happily be transported to some places for a month's stay in that one place. And my dog is truly my best friend. I wouldn't trade her for all the tea in China

On topic...I enjoy some work here and there, on my own terms.
I wanted to highlight this important point that living without a car can be so freeing of expenses and the continue time to maintain cars that it gives another idea to the "freedom of the road", that is the "freedom" within a city with a well served public transit.

I also am trying to reduce my stuff. I realize that everything I buy requires even more stuff. Stuff seems to beget more stuff because you need accessory stuff to hold that stuff; store that stuff; display that stuff; maintain that stuff; protect that stuff.

When I look at new stuff, I now think if I want to take the time to understand how to use that stuff; and now I got to constantly go back and review user manuals because now as I get older, I cannot remember what I learned how to use the stuff.

After a while I just put the stuff aside and forget that I even have it. So somewhere I have cameras, radios, gadgets, devices of all types that exist somewhere and take space but have been lost in my memory. I am constantly coming across "old" stuff in my house and now for me is "new" stuff because I have lost the memory of its existence. It gets even worse when I buy new stuff that I think I need and then I find that I already own it. Now I have duplicates of the same stuff that I will soon forget where I put it.

Livecontent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 11:59 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,994,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post

I also am trying to reduce my stuff. I realize that everything I buy requires even more stuff. Stuff seems to beget more stuff because you need accessory stuff to hold that stuff; store that stuff; display that stuff; maintain that stuff; protect that stuff.

When I look at new stuff, I now think if I want to take the time to understand how to use that stuff; and now I got to constantly go back and review user manuals because now as I get older, I cannot remember what I learned how to use the stuff.

Livecontent

haha, funny Have you seen the late George Carlin on "stuff"??

George Carlin Talks About "Stuff" - YouTube

(Maybe if we didn't have stuff we wouldn't have to work longer?)

Old 09-14-2011, 01:46 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,510,101 times
Quote:

(Maybe if we didn't have stuff we wouldn't have to work longer?)

Old 09-14-2011, 02:10 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,119 posts, read 7,574,569 times
I think the #1 reason people are working longer is the fact that Corporate America has abandoned define pension plans for 401k plans. In the drive for profits they have shifted the retirement costs to the worker, and most folks just simply can't afford it, especially with health care costs what they are.

Old 09-14-2011, 04:28 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,556,181 times
newenglandgirl,

Thank you, thank you. NO, I never saw this one from George Carlin. It really made my day.

Now, I feel so good--tomorrow I am going out to buy more stuff. When I really feel good I buy more stuff. When I feel depressed, I do not buy stuff, I just stuff myself with more calories of greasy and fattening stuff.

Livecontent

Old 09-14-2011, 08:30 PM

12,671 posts, read 21,070,398 times
Don't forget the outragious spending on disposable items when they are young.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:46 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,510,101 times
Quote:
newenglandgirl,

Thank you, thank you. NO, I never saw this one from George Carlin. It really made my day.

Now, I feel so good--tomorrow I am going out to buy more stuff. When I really feel good I buy more stuff. When I feel depressed, I do not buy stuff, I just stuff myself with more calories of greasy and fattening stuff.

Livecontent
Not a bad thing! It's real.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:53 PM

Quit living above your means and you won't have this problem.

Old 09-15-2011, 04:53 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,994,426 times
Quote:
newenglandgirl,

Livecontent
In the Western World, buying stuff is one way to stay healthy by feeling happy. That is why women are nonstop shopaholics. We have to shop. Even if we are, like me, nonmaterialistic. There is something about purchasing stuff that satisfies the soul, and it is embedded in American culture. We try to embrace Eastern philosophies of "letting go," etc., but it's just not in our genes. Of course there are different levels of this. My sisters go all out on shopping trips spending a lot of dough, also on the QVC channel. How much jewelry (junk mostly!) can a woman wear in one lifetime? Carlin points out the ridiculousness of the whole situation that we seem to be powerless over.

Old 09-15-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
In the Western World, buying stuff is one way to stay healthy by feeling happy. That is why women are nonstop shopaholics. We have to shop. Even if we are, like me, nonmaterialistic. There is something about purchasing stuff that satisfies the soul, and it is embedded in American culture. We try to embrace Eastern philosophies of "letting go," etc., but it's just not in our genes. Of course there are different levels of this. My sisters go all out on shopping trips spending a lot of dough, also on the QVC channel. How much jewelry (junk mostly!) can a woman wear in one lifetime? Carlin points out the ridiculousness of the whole situation that we seem to be powerless over.
Deep inside, they are not really happy by buying materialistic things. Western world also have issues with debt. Not as much as in the Asian world. Buying lot of disposable items and digging yourself a hole in debt will end in depression.

There are simple people who are rich and religious but are quite happy.
Seems like people like to show off here and try to keep up with Joness'

Its the poor people that spend and make rich richer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or