U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 01:41 PM

6,948 posts, read 19,452,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
I don't see how a "fishing trip" could happen as we live three states from them, they don't have a boat and we can't take ours to where they are. Actually, if a fishing trip was ever to happen, it would be me, my wife, our daughter and the grandson.
Our grandson does have a "male" figure in his life.......his grandfather/my ex's husband. Don't know how much interaction they have, but he lives on the same property.
Anyway, yes, I changed a number of feelings that I had when I first done this thread AND darn glad I have!
Yay! Good for you. One other comment I do need to make....just because I want to see you move forward. In addition to not letting yourself react to profanity or things you read on facebook (my "granddaughter" -- former deceased husband's grandchild, actually -- often posts when she's drunk/stoned so I really, really can relate to you), tho your bio daughter's son is your grandchild, he is not your wife's grandchild. However, you do refer to him as "our" grandchild. I mention this simply because your daughter may have feelings about you referring to your wife as his grandmother. These terms can set off hot buttons. Example, my husband is not my real granddaughter's grampa and she has a special nickname for him. Although she has never known another grandfather, her dad (my son) doesn't have feelings toward my DH as his father and he clearly doesn't see my DH as his child's granddaughter. So we always refer to my little gk as "Squirl's" granddaughter. And she calls my DH "Opie"....just a special name we chose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 03:20 PM

7,338 posts, read 16,634,853 times
Even though I wasn't there, was onboard a Naval ship in Nam at the time, I think Woodstock, with the drugs and swimming nude, is pretty mild compared to what these young folks of today put on the Internet in photos and language!
I'll definitely remember what you are saying below concerning my wife and the word "grandma".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Yay! Good for you. One other comment I do need to make....just because I want to see you move forward. In addition to not letting yourself react to profanity or things you read on facebook (my "granddaughter" -- former deceased husband's grandchild, actually -- often posts when she's drunk/stoned so I really, really can relate to you), tho your bio daughter's son is your grandchild, he is not your wife's grandchild. However, you do refer to him as "our" grandchild. I mention this simply because your daughter may have feelings about you referring to your wife as his grandmother. These terms can set off hot buttons. Example, my husband is not my real granddaughter's grampa and she has a special nickname for him. Although she has never known another grandfather, her dad (my son) doesn't have feelings toward my DH as his father and he clearly doesn't see my DH as his child's granddaughter. So we always refer to my little gk as "Squirl's" granddaughter. And she calls my DH "Opie"....just a special name we chose.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:56 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 4,845,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
...... I think Woodstock, with the drugs and swimming nude, is pretty mild compared to what these young folks of today put on the Internet in photos and language! .....
Unfortunately, just like the Las Vegas commercial: "Everything that you put on the Internet, stays on the Internet".

Old 09-28-2011, 07:07 PM

3,442 posts, read 5,609,099 times
I am really sad when I read through this site at all the heartbreak on all sides that is created for kids of divorce. Best to you all who are trying to rekindle long lost relationships.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement