U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 09:25 AM

6,849 posts, read 7,793,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
You're absolutely RIGHT and we thank you for the comment!
Alas - someone who validates your perspective. That's what you were looking for, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2011, 09:30 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,467,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Alas - someone who validates your perspective. That's what you were looking for, right?
Alas, another one unreasoning! There's no "validation" there, per se, nor condemnation, just reality.

Old 09-17-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Alas, another one unreasoning! There's no "validation" there, per se, nor condemnation, just reality.
Sorry, but just like me, you don't have the corner on reality: just a perspective shaped by your own experiences. I'm sure you've heard this:

Paul Simon: one mans ceiling is another mans floor. There Goes Rhymin Simon - YouTube

Old 09-17-2011, 10:00 AM

48,516 posts, read 83,890,268 times
The Op is experince the reality of his reationship form his past avoidaqnce. Basci he has a adult daungther who he want t change after its too late to be listened to.

Old 09-17-2011, 10:02 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,354,548 times
Divorce is hard on children and the pain never really goes away. I understand your concerns about your daughter, but she is an adult and you really can't change her. I love my son unconditionally and will do anything to keep the relationship that we have. He does not always do what I think he should do, of course, but I stay out of his business unless he asks me for advice. With that said, I suggest that you write your daughter a letter of apology and ask her to forgive you for anything that you have done that hurt her. The apology is a way of bringing her back into your life in a positive way. Make the letter about you and your feelings for her, not about her and what she is doing or has done. Invite her and your grandson to visit at your expense. Give her a time span that works for you and your wife. Ask her to give you times that work for her if times that you suggest aren't good. When she visits, keep it light and have fun, no personal questions or mention of facebook stuff. As long as she is not using unacceptable language and exhibiting unacceptable behavior in your presence, it is really none of your business to comment to her. You really want to be the bigger person here so you can have a good relationship with your daughter and your grandson. You and your wife seem to be good people. Your grandson needs you in his life. What could be more rewarding than to have a grandson who just loves you, loves you, loves you?
You could always do the letter in a pm on facebook.

Old 09-17-2011, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Sorry, but just like me, you don't have the corner on reality: just a perspective shaped by your own experiences. I'm sure you've heard this:
No, not just like you, for which I'm quite pleased!

Old 09-17-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
No, not just like you, for which I'm quite pleased!
I assumed the retirement forum was for adults. Go figure

If you wanna have a "snark-off" with someone, I'm afraid you'll have to bait your hook for another poster. I'll just let my prior posts speak for themselves.

Old 09-17-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
I assumed the retirement forum was for adults. Go figure

If you wanna have a "snark-off" with someone, I'm afraid you'll have to bait your hook for another poster. I'll just let my prior posts speak for themselves.
And they do so eloquently. Pity!

Old 09-27-2011, 12:51 PM

12,478 posts, read 14,942,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
I find it absolutely astounding that a father who didn't care enough about his toddler daughter to track her down, and stay in her life, is actually complaining about the fact that she curses and uses slang words?

LoveBoating, you're lucky that your daughter wants you in her life at all - who cares what the terms are? You're lucky! But it sounds like you don't appreciate it at all, and are in fact hell-bent on screwing it up. I wish you luck.

no kidding!!!!!!

Old 09-27-2011, 12:55 PM

7,338 posts, read 16,634,853 times
Darn, I must need new glasses.......just can't read what this says and actually DON'T care!!
Go ahead, ask me if I really care what you say in this Thread........ABSOLUTELY NOT!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
no kidding!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement