U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 08:39 PM

19,821 posts, read 18,826,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDogToday View Post
You're damn right and I am mad as hell. I tried to rescue 3 senior dogs through different rescues over the past few years and leArned from my own experience and from reading many articles online.

People got turned down for a variety of reasons. Here are some reasons: over 60; no fenced in yard; not previously a pet owner; can't produce 5 years of vet records on every animal owned in the last 5 years; application must be approved by landlord; income requirements; must be willing to allow unannounced home visits and take back of pet if they deem their home unacceptable for any reason; no small children allowed; pet must not be left alone all day while owner works (not kidding this was a requirement).

We rescued 3 dogs since 2006 and according to this new wave of vetting, we were not a proper home for any of them.

So my next dog will come from the local pound, a breeder, a pet store, or be found running down the road.

There were threads about this at one time in the Pets Forum. It happened to me too. Went around to all the shelters looking for a dog but they rejected me because I didn't have a yard. I lived in an apartment. There IS such a thing as walking your dog, but that didn't seem to count. You were required to have a yard.

At other times they were just vague like, "Oh that wouldn't be a good dog for you." Huh? My husband has had dogs all his life. Many times he had more than one dog at a time. He used to train dogs. That wasn't good enough though.

Ended up getting a wonderful dog on Craigs List. He was older but they needed a good home for him. We got about five wonderful years out of him. The owner used to come visit him and even took him back for Christmas with her family a few times--that's what good terms we were on with her.

By the time that dog passed away, we were living in a rental cottage with a yard. dh fenced it in and so that dog not only got his long daily walks but also his very own yard. Phooey on the animal shelters that told us we weren't good enough.

Next dog I got on CL too. They aren't really supposed to list dogs because there are idiots who want to get a free dog so they can sell it for medical experiments. That's what it said on CL. For this second dog, we did have to pay $300 but that covered his medical treatment since he was a rescue and needed a few things done. He is another wonderful dog. I used the emails from the previous person as reference letters for the new dog because that person raved about how she could never have even imagined that her dog would have had such a great home as what we gave him.

Back to an apartment now, but still the daily walks and he has his own balcony to sit and watch the world.
He's an aging doggie now but still energetic and loving. I don't know what's wrong with these shelters that hoard the animals and won't allow people to adopt them but something ought to be done about it.

Old 08-31-2018, 06:41 PM

3,971 posts, read 2,533,474 times
I'm a lifetime dog owner, have had many dogs. And I won't even consider those humane society when I'm looking for a dog with all their ridiculous requirements.
They are dog lovers you would think they want their dogs to find homes and I'll bet there are lots of good dog owners like me who don't consider them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2018, 10:20 PM

3,139 posts, read 3,504,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I'm a lifetime dog owner, have had many dogs. And I won't even consider those humane society when I'm looking for a dog with all their ridiculous requirements.
They are dog lovers you would think they want their dogs to find homes and I'll bet there are lots of good dog owners like me who don't consider them.
Actually I did not have this situation with the Humane Society, ASPCA, county pound, pet shop, or breeders. It is when dogs are posted on Petfinder or Craigslist or Facebook and the dogs are held by "rescue organizations ".

Old 09-01-2018, 11:34 AM

11,929 posts, read 20,372,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
One of my biggest complaints is putting "clothes" on a pet. Good grief. The poor animal.
When I was a kid (under 10?) I did "dress" the cat, put him/her in a buggy and wheeled them around.
BUT, I am no longer 10 years old (or younger) and I learned to respect animals.

Dressing them up is for human's entertainment. Not the pet's.
Except boots in the winter. The stuff they use on roads and sidewalks is pretty nasty.

Old 09-01-2018, 12:19 PM

19,821 posts, read 18,826,487 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDogToday View Post
Actually I did not have this situation with the Humane Society, ASPCA, county pound, pet shop, or breeders. It is when dogs are posted on Petfinder or Craigslist or Facebook and the dogs are held by "rescue organizations ".
I don't understand what you mean. I had the situation where I was not deemed good enough to adopt a dog and it was at the animal shelter places, whatever they are called. Went around in MA and then even up to New Hampshire but it was still the same. Very disinterested in letting me adopt a dog.

I wouldn't buy a dog in a pet shop and was reluctant to get one from CL because those are often the result of puppy mill breeders or they are trying to sell the animal and do not care even if the buyer only wants to sell it for medical experiments.

I would have thought that the animal shelters with the rescue dogs would have been happy to let the dog go to a good home.

Old 09-01-2018, 10:21 PM

3,139 posts, read 3,504,154 times
I have contacted a few local county pounds on the phone but only to inquire about dogs they posted on Facebook. I went no further but you could be right that they do this extreme vetting too.

It is ironic to me that these "rescue" groups often rescue puppy mill moms or pups but this vetting drives some potential owners to pet stores to buy puppy mill dogs!

I guess those puppies need love too!

Old 09-04-2018, 02:42 PM

4,240 posts, read 1,564,524 times
Quote:
FYI, I adopted my cat from the Mohawk-Hudson Humane Society, one of the oldest shelters in the United States (founded in the 1880's), and they don't do those ridiculous screenings. I was a 1st-time adopter, and I wasn't screened. And my cat's been living the Life of Riley for the past 4.5 years. She gets the best of everything, from food to vet care.

Old 09-04-2018, 04:57 PM

2,743 posts, read 987,380 times
I agree that they should facilitate getting their dogs placed but I can tell you I’m glad they do some vetting because there are too many instances down here of dogs and cats being
“ adopted” by people using them as bait for dog fighting.

Old 09-05-2018, 05:48 AM

4,651 posts, read 3,235,973 times
^^^^^^^ Agree. It's really awful. When someone's puppy or cat is missing, sadly that is about the first thing I think of, grabbing animals to be used as bait. Makes me sick.

I don't mind being "vetted." Tells me the people who run the shelter are caring people who want to protect an animal from devious people who have sick plans for the animal.
IMHO, we need better laws to protect animals.

Old 09-05-2018, 06:21 AM

11,963 posts, read 5,102,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
^^^^^^^ Agree. It's really awful. When someone's puppy or cat is missing, sadly that is about the first thing I think of, grabbing animals to be used as bait. Makes me sick.

I don't mind being "vetted." Tells me the people who run the shelter are caring people who want to protect an animal from devious people who have sick plans for the animal.
IMHO, we need better laws to protect animals.
I couldn't agree more. It's the responsibility of good rescue groups and shelters to adopt dogs to the best homes possible. They aren't there to make you personally happy. The dogs and cats they adopt out are their clients and they have no idea what kind of person you are unless they know you personally. They can only go by what your adoption application says and by doing a home check. People lie, lie and then lie some more.
If that's too much for you to deal with and find it intrusive then you aren't a good candidate to adopt one of their animals. Move on.

I was turned down one time for a dog I really wanted, not because I had a horrible home but they had another applicant that had better qualifications. I moved on and have since adopted other dogs, all wonderful older dogs.

Last edited by marino760; 09-05-2018 at 06:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement