U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 01:19 PM

6,308 posts, read 3,572,105 times

Advertisements

The partially raised front paw is her way of telling me she wants me to pet her. It's the result of her taking control of my effort to teach her to shake hands. Yes, it's supposed to be at my command she lifts the paw to me and then I will reward her by petting her, but in true cat fashion she lifts the paw when she feels like lifting the paw.

So, in essence, I have been trained to pet her. Who's the boss here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2018, 05:39 PM

4,666 posts, read 3,241,188 times
Lodestar: What a beautiful kitty you have.

I think we both know the answer to your question.... who's the boss here?

Only I have two of them.

Old 09-05-2018, 09:14 PM

11,935 posts, read 20,386,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
One of my cats, GG, is due for her yearly plus rabies shot and maybe one other shot. She is next to impossible to put in a carrier. I've been shredded a few times by her and I'm not willing to go through that again.

I understand the rabies shot is a legal requirement (at least it is here in NY state). What happens if I can't get her to the vet? She was due for it in late August.
If she’s normally handlable, call a mobile vet.

Old 09-06-2018, 05:53 PM

I called the vet to make an appointment to take GG in. The girl on the phone pulled the cat's info up on her screen..... GG is not due for rabies, etc. shots till 2020.

Oh boy.

Old 09-06-2018, 06:25 PM

1,986 posts, read 2,634,653 times
My cat gets insane at the vet. She won't allow them to do anything. So the vet prescribed a medication (gabapentin) that I get in capsule form at my pharmacy, and I sprinkle it on her wet food two or three hours before a vet visit. It makes my cat sleepy and calm, and I have no trouble getting her into the carrier, and the vet has no trouble doing whatever (including trimming claws). Gabapentin capsules are pretty cheap at my pharmacy.

Old 09-06-2018, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
My cat gets insane at the vet. She won't allow them to do anything. So the vet prescribed a medication (gabapentin) that I get in capsule form at my pharmacy, and I sprinkle it on her wet food two or three hours before a vet visit. It makes my cat sleepy and calm, and I have no trouble getting her into the carrier, and the vet has no trouble doing whatever (including trimming claws). Gabapentin capsules are pretty cheap at my pharmacy.

Good to know!! Thank you.

Old 09-07-2018, 08:45 AM

6,402 posts, read 4,174,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Well you'll be in violation....plus if your cat goes outside you'll both have the possibility of exposure to rabies.

The way I put my cat in the carrier box is this....

Turn the box on one end, open door to the ceiling. Grasp cat snuggly at scruff of neck so they are immobilized. ...then slide then feet down into the box and lock. Turn right side up. Works every time. The main thing is to grasp the neck scruff firmly...that mimmicks how mom cat used to carry them and they normally don't wiggle and fuss.
Or you could just open the door, turn on your laser pointer and lead it into the cage.

Old 09-07-2018, 09:50 AM

Re the rabies shot for GG: I called to make an appointment and the woman who answered my call looked up GG's info on the computer..... GG not due till 2020. Someone misinformed me, but can't remember who...... maybe the vet when I asked him when I had Sam in for his check up.

Old 09-07-2018, 11:42 AM

659 posts, read 352,149 times
My kitty-fella gets so upset if he has to take a car ride, that he loses complete control of all his "faculties" within the first minute in the car. But once he's there and out of his carrier (and cleaned up), he is very cooperative, like it's no big deal (as long as I'm close by). It's that car ride....

The other kitty yowls like like she's on fire the whole time (as expected), but doesn't soil herself like he does.

I've decided the next time we have to go visit the vet, I'm getting a RX tranq. for him to administer prior to our departure, in the hopes that he can travel even a short distance without such gut-wrenching angst. Also thought of trying a mobile vet for minor issues. He loves visitors, so this could be ideal for him. Just some things - you need to be at the office.

Yes, I do think about the cost of pets after retirement. I've never, in my entire life, had a period when I was animal-free. Not even in college. So it's hard to imagine giving up that wonderful companionship and joy. I can't imagine life without them, so I just don't think about it and keep going.

Old 09-07-2018, 12:10 PM

^^^ BijouBaby: I can relate to your fella's problem. I have a male cat Sam who is a nervous nelly when it comes to getting in the carrier and in the car. The first time when I brought him back from SPCA, he peed pretty hard and as soon as I opened the carrier door, he ran to a place I could not get him from. Of course, the pee sort of went with him. But things got better, I washed him down and found something at Country Max to spray on the rugs.

Second adventure was to the vet..... he did #1 and #2. What a mess. Thankfully that was before we reached the vet so they cleaned him up, wrapped him in a big towel and the vet carried him in to exam room and he looked very pleased with himself.

This last time he held it while going to the vet. He continued to hold it during ride home. But I could see he was trying so hard to not do #2 but he just could not. Clean up wasn't a big deal since he had positioned himself so he wasn't sitting on it.
Maybe next time? I can always hope.

But you are so right. What in the world would we do without our "kids"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement