U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 02:41 PM

6,322 posts, read 3,581,874 times

Advertisements

Poor things. Non-owners don't realize what sensitive creatures cats can be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2018, 03:20 PM

28,506 posts, read 62,217,072 times
TPLO https://www.topdoghealth.com/library...steotomy-tplo/
The plan is to wait until November so that all the stuck at home time is the colder and wetter months.

Old 09-07-2018, 03:37 PM

2,916 posts, read 1,591,544 times
Never occurred to me that kennels would refuse pet adoptions to seniors because of age, I understand it somewhat I guess with so many abandoned pets. An older dog would be fine anyway, cross that bridge when it comes up.

Old 09-07-2018, 04:06 PM

660 posts, read 353,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
^^^ BijouBaby: I can relate to your fella's problem. I have a male cat Sam who is a nervous nelly when it comes to getting in the carrier and in the car. The first time when I brought him back from SPCA, he peed pretty hard and as soon as I opened the carrier door, he ran to a place I could not get him from. Of course, the pee sort of went with him. But things got better, I washed him down and found something at Country Max to spray on the rugs.

Second adventure was to the vet..... he did #1 and #2. What a mess. Thankfully that was before we reached the vet so they cleaned him up, wrapped him in a big towel and the vet carried him in to exam room and he looked very pleased with himself.

This last time he held it while going to the vet. He continued to hold it during ride home. But I could see he was trying so hard to not do #2 but he just could not. Clean up wasn't a big deal since he had positioned himself so he wasn't sitting on it.
Maybe next time? I can always hope.

But you are so right. What in the world would we do without our "kids"?
Ugh! my guy does #1, #2 and #3 (vomit). Unbelievable. I can hear it going on in the back seat within the first minute - practically simultaneously and the other kitty screaming at the top of her lungs, but nothing I can do but keep driving. I think maybe hearing her little freakout may have made him wig out even more. And the vet is only 3 miles from the house! Yes, he is was mess when we got there and had to be washed when we got home. I just felt nothing but utter compassion for his suffering and all the while I knew he had no idea I was doing what needed to be done. If only we could make them understand its for their best well-being!

Gonna go with lining the carrier with doggie pee pads and get him some meds to calm him down and hope that will help. But I think the mobile vet is a great option to try for him. Funny - he's such a tough guy around the house, the alpha male - but put him in a carrier and all hell breaks loose. oh well!

Last edited by BijouBaby; 09-07-2018 at 04:18 PM..

Old 09-07-2018, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Poor things. Non-owners don't realize what sensitive creatures cats can be.
Yeah, cats can be wiggy. I think dogs are more predictable. But they make utterly awesome pets and worth any trouble you have to contend with. Just gotta be in the cat frame of mind to understand them!

Old 09-07-2018, 04:27 PM

10,465 posts, read 5,935,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouBaby View Post
Just gotta be in the cat frame of mind to understand them!
That just never seems to happen with me. I try, really I try, but we have just never had a very friendly cats over the years.

Old 09-07-2018, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
That just never seems to happen with me. I try, really I try, but we have just never had a very friendly cats over the years.
Well, they're like people. You never know what you're gonna get till you get them home - especially mixed breeds. Full breeds are far more predictable. But when you rescue pets, you don't know what they've been through before you and just need to say you'll make it work no matter what. Like adopted kids, you end up loving them no matter what challenges come up.

Believe me, cats vary drastically in disposition and personality. Yes, they all have certain cat-like traits, but their personalities can be very, very different. I kinda like not knowing what I'm gonna get. You just adjust and learn to love their unique quirks. Maybe its just a cat person kind of thing.

I've had cats, dogs, horses, rodents - everything except reptiles and cats truly are the most intriguing species. But you need to be up for it.

Old 09-07-2018, 05:24 PM

4,676 posts, read 3,250,875 times
Cats certainly keep life interesting. Never a dull moment with my two unless they are napping (which is quite often). Some days when I wake up from my nap, they are still "out". Cracks me up.

I think cats are pretty darned smart, too. It usually just takes one explanation (yes, I talk to them and tell them what's what), and then they "have it."

Old 09-07-2018, 05:46 PM

27,093 posts, read 5,918,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
Cats certainly keep life interesting. Never a dull moment with my two unless they are napping (which is quite often). Some days when I wake up from my nap, they are still "out". Cracks me up.

I think cats are pretty darned smart, too. It usually just takes one explanation (yes, I talk to them and tell them what's what), and then they "have it."
I talk to mine too...and they know EXACTLY what I mean....

Old 09-07-2018, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I talk to mine too...and they know EXACTLY what I mean....
Interesting and timely that you and NYGal say this... Just recently I bought new plush rugs for my living and dining rooms - over tile floors. One of the things that appealed to me in buying this house is that it was all tile - no more carpets to clean pee, poo, puke - whatever.

So as soon as I get these rugs down, the boy digs his claws into them going to town. I correct him once, twice, thrice. Finally, he does it again right in front of me for the fourth time... THEN - we have a "come to Jesus meeting" and I make very clear with my words and tone that he will NOT do that again. I go and get one of his scratching pads and put down on the spot he liked to scratch the rug. After that - he has NEVER tried to scratch the rugs again.

He uses his posts and scratch pads now and I praise him and make a BIG deal about it, telling him what a GOOD BOY he is! I can tell he understands now. He just needed to see me be very clear about it and outsmart him, once and for all. He did the cat thing of trying to get away with it until he knew I meant business.

It was so cool to see that he did get what I was trying to tell him and it's been smooth sailing ever since. Gotta love that! These little dudes are really smart, but very catty about things - kitty logic: it's all about ME until you can convince me otherwise. You gotta be smarter. Once they recognize that and get the message... I kinda like that kind of smarts.

On the other hand, most kitties I've had weren't this challenging. But little dude gives me a run for my money. I'm still ahead though! He has a big, loving heart and it makes it all worthwhile.

Girl-kitty is a perfect angel and never sets a wrong foot forward. I swear she can read my mind. Thank goodness for the model child!

Last edited by BijouBaby; 09-07-2018 at 06:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement