U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 01:53 PM

6,337 posts, read 3,593,680 times

Advertisements

I had a black shorthair for nineteen years and she was a mellow and well-behaved girl. I miss her.

But. At the time we had her I was still doing a lot of entertaining and had a large dining room table with a gold colored table cloth I kept on it. She knew she wasn't allowed on the table and I never once saw her on it.

Nonetheless there was often a little circle of black kitty hairs in the middle of the table.

Kittens certainly take a lot of energy but are so much fun that I've never minded. I've often joked you must say the word, "No" at least a hundred-thousand times in the first year you have them. No! Put kitten down. No! Put kitten down. No! Put kitten down. LOL

But what I've liked the most about training a kitten is the ease of potty training. Show them the litter box. Put them in and take their little paws and do a digging motion and you're done.

Our litter box is in the basement under the stairs and even the smallest kitten has been able to make the climb after being shown where her powder room is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2018, 02:01 PM

11,948 posts, read 20,417,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I had a black shorthair for nineteen years and she was a mellow and well-behaved girl. I miss her.

But. At the time we had her I was still doing a lot of entertaining and had a large dining room table with a gold colored table cloth I kept on it. She knew she wasn't allowed on the table and I never once saw her on it.

Nonetheless there was often a little circle of black kitty hairs in the middle of the table.

Kittens certainly take a lot of energy but are so much fun that I've never minded. I've often joked you must say the word, "No" at least a hundred-thousand times in the first year you have them. No! Put kitten down. No! Put kitten down. No! Put kitten down. LOL

But what I've liked the most about training a kitten is the ease of potty training. Show them the litter box. Put them in and take their little paws and do a digging motion and you're done.

Our litter box is in the basement under the stairs and even the smallest kitten has been able to make the climb after being shown where her powder room is.
And if you get the occasional cat that just doesn’t get the litter box? Dr Elsey’s cat attract or kitten attract litter to the rescue!!

I’ve had a couple of adorable but really dumb cats.

Old 09-11-2018, 12:04 PM
mlb

3,196 posts, read 2,865,272 times
I love my dogs..... but we were on a real estate shopping trip in California - and they had not adjusted to the time change and needed to potty at 4:30AM.

So I took them outside the hotel in the pitch dark looking for appropriate potty places. Hotels that accept animals need to actually PROVIDE for those animals - I will pay for that extra.

I twisted and fractured my ankle two parking lots away from the hotel - and had to have emergency surgery. Trip was abandoned and I am now home post-op.

I do think we will hire a dog/house sitter next time.

Old 09-11-2018, 09:16 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,696,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
That just never seems to happen with me. I try, really I try, but we have just never had a very friendly cats over the years.
If you are interested in getting one, there are some breeds that are almost 100% guaranteed to be friendly by nature. And you don't have to pay a ton of money from a breeder. My last and present kitty have been Ragdolls. They are known to be affectionate. A breeder will charge hundreds of dollars for one. I got both of mine from shelters.

Old 09-11-2018, 09:42 PM

4,689 posts, read 3,260,089 times
If anyone is wanting to adopt a pet, please please please consider getting one from a rescue shelter. They are deserving animals who need a forever home. I've gotten all of my cats from our local SPCA and they have all been wonderful.

Old 09-12-2018, 03:39 AM

10,485 posts, read 5,947,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
If you are interested in getting one, there are some breeds that are almost 100% guaranteed to be friendly by nature. And you don't have to pay a ton of money from a breeder. My last and present kitty have been Ragdolls. They are known to be affectionate. A breeder will charge hundreds of dollars for one. I got both of mine from shelters.
I am interested but the cats are the wife's jurisdiction and all but one have kind of showed up and have been adopted/rescued. So we have young cats are are around 60, who knows when we will be in the market for another one. But thanks.

Old 09-12-2018, 03:41 AM

10,485 posts, read 5,947,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
I love my dogs..... but we were on a real estate shopping trip in California - and they had not adjusted to the time change and needed to potty at 4:30AM.

So I took them outside the hotel in the pitch dark looking for appropriate potty places. Hotels that accept animals need to actually PROVIDE for those animals - I will pay for that extra.

I twisted and fractured my ankle two parking lots away from the hotel - and had to have emergency surgery. Trip was abandoned and I am now home post-op.

I do think we will hire a dog/house sitter next time.
I'm sure sorry to read this. Now that we are down to one dog we started traveling with her and it's been great. I really like having my girl with us, it just makes the trip more fun. I have not had this experience, every hotel that allows pets has some sort of grass area for the dogs.

Old 09-12-2018, 09:29 AM
mlb

3,196 posts, read 2,865,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I'm sure sorry to read this. Now that we are down to one dog we started traveling with her and it's been great. I really like having my girl with us, it just makes the trip more fun. I have not had this experience, every hotel that allows pets has some sort of grass area for the dogs.
This was a Best Western - in the Sierras.

They had the space to recharge Teslas but nothing for dogs.

Old 09-12-2018, 10:30 AM

568 posts, read 269,298 times
I love my two little dogs, they are like our children. I'd give them a kidney if they needed it. But...I won't stay in a hotel that allows pets.
We always board our dogs at our Vet in an indoor dog run if we take a trip. Last year we went to San Antonio for the weekend and stayed at a pet friendly hotel. We were both eaten up with flea bites. The same thing happened to our dogs once about 7 years ago but in a pet hotel. We had to take a trip and stay for few days so we called the Vet, he was full so we called a Pet Hotel. Our dogs were absolutely infested when we picked them up. I have a severe allergic reaction called anaphylaxis from flea bites so we're careful to keep our lawn treated and our dogs flea free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement