U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 05:54 AM

3,415 posts, read 5,138,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
But I am thinking after Gracie goes to the Rainbow Bridge, she may be my last due to the cost of taking care of a pet.
Minervah, I hope the day when your beloved Gracie must cross the bridge is still far off in the future. But after that day you could still share your home and love with one or more cats by fostering. The rescues generally cover all of the expenses, you just provide the love and daily care.

I know it can be hard to say farewell to even a short term foster but knowing that because you provided a temporary home kept them alive and well is so rewarding.

I now only adopt senior dogs since I'm getting older and with a senior our energy levels are more likely to be a better match but I currently have a very lively young terrier in foster care and I know that someone out there is going to provide her with a great forever home.

She just needed a little more time and our county pound is small and fills quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2011, 03:50 PM

21,697 posts, read 23,672,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
Minerva, I hope the day when your beloved Gracie must cross the bridge is still far off in the future. But after that day you could still share your home and love with one or more cats by fostering. The rescues generally cover all of the expenses, you just provide the love and daily care.

I know it can be hard to say farewell to even a short term foster but knowing that because you provided a temporary home kept them alive and well is so rewarding.

I now only adopt senior dogs since I'm getting older and with a senior our energy levels are more likely to be a better match but I currently have a very lively young terrier in foster care and I know that someone out there is going to provide her with a great forever home.

She just needed a little more time and our county pound is small and fills quickly.
Fostering is a great idea. And a side note. I got a call from the vet last night. All the possible medical problems we were concerned about didn't materialize in her blood tests. So aside from being overweight due to her spondylosis she is fine.

I am going to try a diet for her and if that doesn't work I will go with the compound the clinic makes for this problem in kitties. I would love to do acupuncture for her but that is too costly.

All in all, maybe the peace of mind I now have that she is pretty healthy outweighs the cost of finding that out.

At least that's what I am telling myself as I listen to her purr happily on my couch.

Old 09-17-2011, 05:53 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,443,971 times
I'd rather spend my money on my dogs than anything since they are very rewarding to me in many ways. My 5 geriatric dogs cost me about $700 a month IF nothing goes wrong. Maintenance meds are the greatest expense.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:55 PM

221 posts, read 326,681 times
I really miss the veterinary hospital I took my cat to in Honolulu. Everything is more expensive in Westchester Co. New York, for a disabled person who ain't gettin' younger. (That goes for my cat as well.) The "senior" exam was very affordable, around $50, and the meds, usually re: problems with urinating and sometimes defecating, very reasonable. My cat did better, physically, with the move from Hawaii to Ossining NY than I did, but I worry about the cost of vet. care here.

I'm in a dispute with my landlord over my pet (another expense issue). I love pets and animals, but it is hard to have them, esp. w/ aging. I worry about what would happen to my cat if I were to die before she does. What would the rest of her life be like? My sister can hardly keep her daughter, financially, and a pet would just add to her daily stress.

I would love to give another adult cat a home when my cat dies, so many desperately need them, but, yes being on a fixed income makes that very challenging.

Old 09-29-2011, 02:46 PM

2,742 posts, read 725,854 times
Yup, I agree that having pets are expensive. My elderly cat is just on $5 worth of steroids and a $40 bag of RX cat food a month----but he did have an expensive procedure last year (CAT scans, etc.). Still---he's so worth it. Our furry companions make our lives complete.

In some ways, Tang cuts our travel expenses---one of the reasons we don't travel because we don't want to leave him alone for a week (he'd stop eating, even with a neighbor checking in on him daily).

Old 09-29-2011, 05:02 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 4,848,058 times
Default Don't laugh....this time.

OK, I admit my mind travels down some manic tunnels, usually looking for satirical humor, but somebody might consider my latest epiphany seriously.

There are numerous articles and news highlights of pets as "companion" dogs, therapy dogs, etc. The medical establishment has admitted that pets can calm anxiety, lower blood pressure, etc. Nursing homes and assisted living facilities often have pets to comfort ailing patients.

Why not ask your health insurance company for a discount if you have a pet? They have "no smoker" discounts. Auto insurers have "safe driving" discounts". If someone researched it thoroughly enough, my guess is that you could produce sufficient documentation to present a case that pet ownership lowered utilization of healthcare services. If you could convince just one company to give you a discount, it would offset some of the food/maintenance costs of keeping your pet.

Old 09-29-2011, 05:19 PM

21,697 posts, read 23,672,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
OK, I admit my mind travels down some manic tunnels, usually looking for satirical humor, but somebody might consider my latest epiphany seriously.

There are numerous articles and news highlights of pets as "companion" dogs, therapy dogs, etc. The medical establishment has admitted that pets can calm anxiety, lower blood pressure, etc. Nursing homes and assisted living facilities often have pets to comfort ailing patients.

Why not ask your health insurance company for a discount if you have a pet? They have "no smoker" discounts. Auto insurers have "safe driving" discounts". If someone researched it thoroughly enough, my guess is that you could produce sufficient documentation to present a case that pet ownership lowered utilization of healthcare services. If you could convince just one company to give you a discount, it would offset some of the food/maintenance costs of keeping your pet.
As one who has worked for many health insurance companies over many years I can safely say this will never happen. And for many of us here, our health insurance is Medicare and there is no way they would ever allow this.

But I do think it would be great if we could deduct our pet related expenses from our taxes. There was a Wisconsin Senator who tried to introduce a bill for this a few years ago but unfortunately it failed.

Old 09-29-2011, 05:30 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,982,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
The same is said about having children. With five of my own and two stepchildren, I'm still waiting for the process to start!
I've yet to see a parent who added years to his or her life due to having a kid.....

Old 09-29-2011, 09:46 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 4,848,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
As one who has worked for many health insurance companies over many years I can safely say this will never happen. And for many of us here, our health insurance is Medicare and there is no way they would ever allow this.

But I do think it would be great if we could deduct our pet related expenses from our taxes. There was a Wisconsin Senator who tried to introduce a bill for this a few years ago but unfortunately it failed.
As one who has fought many health insurance companies over the years, I can, unfortunately, say you are probably right............until some Don Quixote with more energy and time than I have, is willing to tilt at windmills.

I'll contribute by starting the research:

[SIZE=3][SIZE=2]HEALTH BENEFITS extracted from the 2011 American Pet Products Association:
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=2]Pets Help to Lower Blood Pressure A recent study at the State University of New York at Buffalo found that people with hypertension who adopted a cat or dog had lower blood pressure readings in stressful situations than did those who did not own a pet. (Dr. Karen Allen, State University of New York at Buffalo) [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=2]Pets Help to Reduce Stress Walking with a pet helps to sooth nerves and offers instant relaxation. Studies conducted worldwide have shown that the impact of a stressful situation is lesser on pet owners, especially males, than on those who do not own a pet. (Josephine M. Wills, Waltham Centre for Pet Nutrition, United Kingdom) [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=2]Pets Help to Prevent Heart Disease Because pets provide people with faithful companionship, research shows they may also provide their owners with greater psychological stability, thus a measure of protection from heart disease. (National Institute of Health Technology Assessment Workshop: Health Benefits of Pets) [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=2]Pets Help to Lower Health Care Costs People with pets actually make fewer doctor visits, especially for non-serious medical conditions. (National Institute of Health Technology Assessment Workshop: Health Benefits of Pets) [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=2]Pets Help to Fight Depression Pets help fight depression and loneliness, promoting an interest in life. When seniors face adversity or trauma, affection from pets takes on great meaning. Their bonding behavior can foster a sense of security. (Between Pets and People: The Importance of Animal Companionship) [/SIZE]

Old 10-01-2011, 08:43 AM

9,321 posts, read 16,584,408 times
This post really hit home. We lost our beautiful female English Mastiff last year at a young age of 5. We spent about $1,000 that we did not really have to spend trying to save her and finally putting her to sleep. Her burial fee was $400 alone. We still have her aging brother and worry about him as he is getting a bit slow now. Love our dogs to pieces but with the downturn in the economy and a lack of work in our profession, we are wondering how far we should go with a pet. The vets are very well trained today with all the new technology and tests available and they should command a high price for their education. But I think the future holds that only the rich will have pets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement