U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 04:26 PM

29,766 posts, read 34,851,819 times

Advertisements

Spent a bunch of time at the vet the last week with our Boxer. While waiting one day a very older lady began to engage a number of us in a discussion about our pets and hers. She shared with us she had Boxers previously. Three of them in fact all having passed away. She shared that two of them were buried in their yard and the third was in their freezer having been there for 6 months. Yes she was unique so this was believable as she had a couple of other dog stories about some of her other pets that were unique.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 09:04 PM

5,164 posts, read 8,687,150 times
Smile Pets

My dogs are my stress relievers - I actually think they help! They help us get our exercise, encourage us to get up in the morning (lol), give us lots of hugs and kisses, play hide and seek with us and are just great companions.

We have 2 of them and they love each other too.

We know that if we were not here, our children would (and do) love our dogs just as much as we do but we have provided for them just in case.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:06 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,440,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Retirees wanting a dog or cat...I just noticed on my local shelter's website that seniors can get a dog or cat who is over the age of 5 for free. The dog or cat is spayed/neutered, and has all its shots. Check it out at your local shelter. Age 5 is not really young for a pet, but it's not old by any means. The dogs of course will need walking several times per day (hopefully, unlike my friend who just pushes her dogs out in the back yard instead of walking them). Give a lonely pet a good home in 2012.
That's a great idea on the free adoptions. I always adopt older dogs because they typically do not get adopted and I have a pretty good knack for rehab on dogs with problems. Now that I'm getting really old and my 5 geriatric dogs are all over 10 yrs old, for sure, when it's time for another dog, I'll be certain to get a rather old dog. That way, we can got to the doc together, take our arthritis meds together and maybe even die together! At least we will understand one another huh?

Old 12-30-2011, 10:24 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,967,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
That's a great idea on the free adoptions. I always adopt older dogs because they typically do not get adopted and I have a pretty good knack for rehab on dogs with problems. Now that I'm getting really old and my 5 geriatric dogs are all over 10 yrs old, for sure, when it's time for another dog, I'll be certain to get a rather old dog. That way, we can got to the doc together, take our arthritis meds together and maybe even die together! At least we will understand one another huh?
Love it! That's my way of thinking. Thanks, dog lover!

Old 12-30-2011, 06:47 PM

4,281 posts, read 10,730,596 times
Recently several of us were sitting around talking and the subject came up of what would one "spend" to save a pet?

While no exacting figure and some said whatever (my wife), but in reality many (myself included) said they would have to think twice if over $2,000.00 dollars.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:56 PM

6,394 posts, read 4,172,123 times
Quote:
I have some natural wellness books for pets. The American Red Cross also publishes a pet first aid book, for emergencies. If I got a bill for $400 from a vet I'd pay it off a few bucks at a time. How long did you observe the cat's unwellness before you went to the vet? Unless it's an obvious emergency I wouldn't rush. I'd also look into what I was feeding my cat. A lot of cat food is really poor quality and can cause all kinds of illnesses. MIght be better to invest in the highest quality natural foods (or make your own), over paying those kinds of vet bills. Just a suggestion.
Nowadays, if you are faced with a large bill for service, you have to pay up front. I guess vets have been getting stiffed too much in this economy. We just went through that with out 2 yr old yorkie poo. She almost died. We had to scramble to come up with a good chunk of change. Even then, we had to forgoe some of the tests they wanted to do. It may be a good time to start getting health insurance for your pets, if you can afford to put it in your budget.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:16 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,967,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
Recently several of us were sitting around talking and the subject came up of what would one "spend" to save a pet?

While no exacting figure and some said whatever (my wife), but in reality many (myself included) said they would have to think twice if over $2,000.00 dollars.
I'd sell any jewelry I could drum up to pay to save my dog, if she has an emergency under the age of say 1214.

Old 12-31-2011, 08:47 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,467,321 times
Quote:
I'd sell any jewelry I could drum up to pay to save my dog, if she has an emergency under the age of say 1214.
We have two cats and $2K would be my absolute limit as well. Cats are now nine and seven. My last cat, who was my parents' who I adopted after their deaths, lived to be a robust 26 and died peacefully at home.

Old 12-31-2011, 12:55 PM

1,769 posts, read 2,440,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post

For me, the money is not the issue at all - I'd sacrifice, charge up my credit cards, anything, to pay for needed surgery, etc. What is very important is the age of the dog, chances for recovery, and would I put a dog thru it? Eg: I would not do chemotherapy on an old dog with cancer.

Currently I spend easily over $600 a month on 5 dogs just for food and meds, each month! One dog takes previcox which is $4 a pill/day (30 for $122.08)

I understand how dreadful it is for animals lovers who cannot spend that sort of money as I've been there as a young person and carried some serious credit card debt at that time to pay for animal care. A person can only do the best they can do.

Old 12-31-2011, 02:51 PM

363 posts, read 426,170 times
Default Dogs and cats

We currently have 2 dogs (MinPin and Dachshund) and 2 cats. They are our children. We inherited the MinPin when we bought our house, or like we tell everyone, she came with the house. A wonderful little girl, Maggie has turned out to be diabetic. She has to have 2 shots per day, but the cost of her insulin and syringes is not that bad. She takes a small amount per dose, so a vial of insulin lasts three months. It is money well-spent.

On the other hand, we have Dachshund stories. Back in our trucking days, we had a red weiner dog named Oscar. Rode on the truck, love of our lives. At age 5, he went down in his back and we had to put him to sleep. Said we would never have another one.

A couple of years later, we got another red weiner and we named him Rudy. Smart, loyal, everything you could ever want in a dog. At age 5, he developed cancer. We had just moved to Tennessee, and went to a loving vet, Sam Young. He said there could possibly be treatment, but it would be hard on the dog and no guarantees of success. He had us come in every Saturday to look over Rudy and make sure there were no changes. We got to know Sam and all the girls in the office...they became like family. Sam never charged us a dime. The visits became "therapeutic" for us. We went for about 6 months. He said we would know what it was "time," and on a Sunday night around 8 p.m., Rudy could no longer lay down and had labored breathing, so Sam met us at his clinic and we put him to sleep. It was the hardest thing we have ever had to do in our lives. Rudy is now buried in our backyard in a special place.

We said no more red Dachshunds for us. About 3 months later, we just happened to meet a woman whose son had a red weiner dog puppy that was being neglected, would we be interested? NO!! we said, we could not take a chance with another red one. My husband said we should at least try to see the neglected pup, and it was love in 30 seconds. So now we have Scooter, and I swear he is an exact replica of Rudy and Oscar....same smarts, same mannerisms, same love and total devotion.

I think I will always have a weiner dog in my life!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement