U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-16-2011, 03:49 PM
 
Location: Lexington, SC
4,281 posts, read 10,735,918 times
Reputation: 3716

Advertisements

No way would I consider retiring to any place where the nearest Lowes/Home Depot sell snow blowers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-16-2011, 04:12 PM
 
Location: State of Superior
8,628 posts, read 13,889,691 times
Reputation: 2770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Marquette is undeniably beautiful but likely plagued with hordes of mosquitos in the summer and upwards of 40 inches of snow at any one time in the winter is not enticing to me.
For your info. , we only had less than 200 inches last winter. I plow with an enclosed heated 4 x 4 tractor. Only had to use it a few times. the previous year we had over 300 inches. Marquette is one of the snowiest places in the Country.
Forget about the mosquitoes, they only come out from may to June. If you live at high elevations or near the big Lake there is always a breeze. I rarely have any problems, including snow, it just blows of my flat roof.
people that live in the city and near the Lake, have less snow, warmer temps, and every street is plowed daily , including the sidewalks. They know how to handle big snows here. Actually most or many folks in the city do not have four wheel drive. Every Winter is different, that's what we like about it, always changing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2011, 05:11 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 18,973,893 times
Reputation: 15649
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Well I understand what you say , and in the old school it makes a lot of sense. However , you may not have seen the UP , especially Marquette, Several of my requirements were. Not having to run a AC unit year round, in fact maybe never. Very low crime , Lower costs of living and affordable home prices. Also, quality of air, water , and just the environment in general. Good medical care was also high on my list., besides , I actually like being around young people. Its very depressing living in Florida, Been there done that , for 5 years.
Is the drinking water in Marquette treated with toxic sodium fluoride? Just wondering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2011, 05:26 PM
 
Location: Lexington, SC
4,281 posts, read 10,735,918 times
Reputation: 3716
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
For your info. , we only had less than 200 inches last winter. I plow with an enclosed heated 4 x 4 tractor. Only had to use it a few times. the previous year we had over 300 inches. Marquette is one of the snowiest places in the Country.
Forget about the mosquitoes, they only come out from may to June. If you live at high elevations or near the big Lake there is always a breeze. I rarely have any problems, including snow, it just blows of my flat roof.
people that live in the city and near the Lake, have less snow, warmer temps, and every street is plowed daily , including the sidewalks. They know how to handle big snows here. Actually most or many folks in the city do not have four wheel drive. Every Winter is different, that's what we like about it, always changing.
Dar

Nice try..LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2011, 05:58 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas
13,888 posts, read 25,319,935 times
Reputation: 26382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Marquette is undeniably beautiful but likely plagued with hordes of mosquitos in the summer and upwards of 40 inches of snow at any one time in the winter is not enticing to me.
Amen! Until I lived in Minnesota for 15 years, winter was my favorite season. Now, I hope to never shovel anything white again or have to invest in OFF by the case. I had a neighbor who mowed his yard in a bee suit. The bugs were that bad!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2011, 07:28 PM
 
Location: State of Superior
8,628 posts, read 13,889,691 times
Reputation: 2770
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Amen! Until I lived in Minnesota for 15 years, winter was my favorite season. Now, I hope to never shovel anything white again or have to invest in OFF by the case. I had a neighbor who mowed his yard in a bee suit. The bugs were that bad!
Marquette is not Minnesota. sorry to disappoint you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2011, 07:28 PM
 
Location: OH
23 posts, read 32,695 times
Reputation: 35
I absolutely LOVE Michigan, especially the UP. I would love to live in Michigan if it was only closer to the equator. Too much cold and snow for me. I would, however, like to visit the UP of Michigan during the winter months just to see the beauty. Brrrrr
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2011, 07:29 PM
 
Location: State of Superior
8,628 posts, read 13,889,691 times
Reputation: 2770
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Is the drinking water in Marquette treated with toxic sodium fluoride? Just wondering.
I do not understand what you are implying ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2011, 07:37 PM
 
Location: State of Superior
8,628 posts, read 13,889,691 times
Reputation: 2770
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
Dar

Nice try..LOL
Also , what are you implying.? Those who have not lived the experience should reserve comments and innuendos , after they have been there and done that,.I am not trying to impress anyone , nor change their minds.. Its just information. from living here, that's all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2011, 07:41 PM
 
Location: State of Superior
8,628 posts, read 13,889,691 times
Reputation: 2770
Quote:
Originally Posted by kruzinkate View Post
I absolutely LOVE Michigan, especially the UP. I would love to live in Michigan if it was only closer to the equator. Too much cold and snow for me. I would, however, like to visit the UP of Michigan during the winter months just to see the beauty. Brrrrr
You should give Michigan a try., and more so , the UP. Ohio is no picnic ether. I have been there and done the snow white-outs , in Cleveland , several times..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top