U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 08:45 AM

8,632 posts, read 14,148,618 times

Advertisements

OK folks , you want to know about what to do in the winter up here. First like I said, you can live downtown ,on the waterfront , and rarely have Temps less than 20 F . Also the snow is less, and they clean it up quickly. The Harbor did not freeze over last year at all., only the boat slips in both Marinas.
Or, you can live in the burbs, go cross country skiing( very popular). We have many groomed trails only a few minuets from city center. Then there is Hockey, expecially for younger folks , but , right now , the " old Guys" are playing. Mostly in their 40s !. Kids start Hockey when they are 8-9 and compete all over the North Country. It can be expensive dragging them to games. We have snowmachine trails everywhere for any age if you like that sort of thing, and , many do. People come from 300-400 miles on week-ends to travel the groomed trails. We even have Police, and troopers on Snow machines. up here. Also , snow shoeing is great winter fun, for any age. We have Dog sled racing( very popular and a per-requirement to the Idaroad), . I have a downhill ski complex a mile fron my house, always packed , and , yes they have to make snow also, Sometimes it does not open much before Christmas.
Now , sure ,late winter in Key West sounds great, but , after a week sitting on the beach , what do I do? I hate golf, don't hunt, no interest in snow machines ether. Fishing is big up here both ice and stream....I don't do that ether. I find siting near a crackling fire, with a good book, and a crusted window displaying snow falling on the Ceders, quite relaxing.
This is a winter State, there is more to do in winter than in summer. Think about it. Anchorage, AK. has 250,000 people, and Edmonton, AB. has the worlds largest Mall, so we are not alone when it comes to liking the snow and the cold, the fun is getting out and getting involved in winter sports. I admit , I should do it more.... And, yes they play golf up here, we have several courses around , with Gray Walls , the most interesting,( is that the way you say it ?) I like working on my hobbies, I like four wheeling the two tracks , camping, sailing, but more and more , I seem to hang out on this dam Internet, it can be addicting.. I also enjoy writing, and have 2 books under my belt , working on more....slowly..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 06:28 PM

28,673 posts, read 40,926,917 times
I'm trying to figure out if the OP is convincing others that it's a great place to live or justifying the move...

Old 09-18-2011, 07:19 PM

Listen, all i am trying to do , is tell it like it is. If you choose to not believe anything I say, well, that's your right. What you can not do , is to deny the truth. I take offense with your comments
Tell me one thing that I said is untrue,. or , don't say anything. You should have learned that by now !
This is City- Data , we are to inform the people when there is news about any place the3y might want to retire. What's wrong with that? Whats tour problem ?

Old 09-19-2011, 10:38 PM

To (mis)quote Shakespeare:

Hamlet:
Madam, how like you this city?

Queen:
The lady doth rave too much, methinks.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:45 AM

Its too bad you do not like Marquette, I think you are missing a small city that has come a long way in the last 20-30 years, and all it has to offer. Marquette could be a model for what works. WE have the one of the few places in Michigan where home values are stable, and most people have good jobs. Low Crime rate, wonderful views and a great harbor. Fine dining, most all amenities needed, with lots of winter and summer activities for everyone.
I could go on , yes I am proud of where I live. My fourth year in Marquette, and City-Data had a lot to do with my decision to move here. All I do is report the news and as well what I see and do.everyday. There are many other places to retire to in North America. I am sure some of those people must feel a little like most of us in Marquette do..... Sometimes it may be like rooting for your favorite ball team, or your school, etc. People do get passionate about a lot of things, and they let every one know their feelings, I see it all season long with the various sports teams. It seem to be the American way....then there is Hockey want to get involved with that one ?

Old 09-20-2011, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Its too bad you do not like Marquette
I, and I'm sure others here, don't care one way or the other. You seem to think that we should for some reason. No matter where anyone else has lived, or happens to mentioned they've lived, you have also have lived there and your town is better.

Seriously, it gets a little old after a while...

Old 09-20-2011, 11:13 AM

Well , since you feel that way , lets get some feedback from others on this. I have lived so many places that I feel my input has some merit. We could , if this discussion goes too far off topic , it may get shut down . I hope not , , but I have seen it work that way many times on City-Data.
Believe me when I say that a lot of folks are retiring, and they are very interested in what we say about where we live , as well as the awards our city has gained. I do agree about so many people tooting their horn ,( the best place is always where you live) , that apply s to cars they drive, as well as almost everything else, including Ball Teams. Some other feed back on this issue is welcome. I will sit back and listen, maybe I will learn something I don't already know.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:23 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,769,639 times
Darstar,

You always make me chuckle because you are always so intense in promoting your area of the country. You a little pedantic in your enthusiam but it is good to hear people who have found a place that they really like. I even agree with much that you say, as I grew up in the Great Lakes Region, near Buffalo. There is much to be said for an advantages of a colder climate and the recreation and the amenities that are available. You have done a good job in pointing that out. I particularly like the where you sit by a cold scene through your window with a good book. I do the same in the winter, it is very comforting, as you have said.

The best societies are constantly noted to be the Scandinavian countries, that is Sweden, Norway and Finland. Perhaps the colder climates help develop the characterictics that make a better quality of life. Yet, we have the similar climates in our northeren reaches of this country.

When I was growing up, I thought I would stay around the lakes because the small villages and towns did appeal to me. Heavey snow never really bothered me when I was young. However, life has a way of setting another path. Today, I have severe health problems and the severe cold and damp in the lakes region would not be beneficial. Now, I live in Denver and we do have snow but less with mostly dry sunny days--so I have a little of my youth. We do not extensive natural water bodies but more water means more humidity and more wet, damp weather.

The only issue with smaller areas that concerns me today is the availability of good public transit and healthcare. These to me are most important when you become elderly. Money magazine seems to ignore the issue of public transit but does note healthcare.

This new list is based more on inexpensive housing in communities that have other good characteristics. Inexpensive housing is important but the reasons are that the area is not so much in demand. That does not necessarily mean that the area is not a good place to live. Unfortunately trends are motivated by media attention which may not have good basis in fact.

Livecontent

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 09-20-2011 at 02:19 PM..

Old 09-20-2011, 02:41 PM

Thanks for most..I think? Now , Denver , Yes I have spent considerable time in the surrounding Mountains and downtown.
Your climate is mostly dry, with altitude Not so good for many people who have breathing problems. I do recall the smog that hangs over Denver, as it is in a bowl, again not good.
I do not want to replete it , but WE have a dry cold here, The Big lakes do not make it more humid , but they do act as a filter. This is also a good place to live for those with lung problems, as the air is clean with low counts of most pollen's. The UP is truly the land between the lakes, with Superior all across the North and almost the same for Lake Michigan, and , Lake Huron.
I have always liked the Rockies, they are beauty as well as breathtaking. I always said if I had to live in the West , I would pick Colorado Springs. Have been to the Broadmoor many times, and Pikes Peak as well. Mostly in very old cars, what a blast, going up the Peak in the snow!

Old 09-20-2011, 03:12 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,769,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Thanks for most..I think? Now , Denver , Yes I have spent considerable time in the surrounding Mountains and downtown.
Your climate is mostly dry, with altitude Not so good for many people who have breathing problems. I do recall the smog that hangs over Denver, as it is in a bowl, again not good.
I do not want to replete it , but WE have a dry cold here, The Big lakes do not make it more humid , but they do act as a filter. This is also a good place to live for those with lung problems, as the air is clean with low counts of most pollen's. The UP is truly the land between the lakes, with Superior all across the North and almost the same for Lake Michigan, and , Lake Huron.
I have always liked the Rockies, they are beauty as well as breathtaking. I always said if I had to live in the West , I would pick Colorado Springs. Have been to the Broadmoor many times, and Pikes Peak as well. Mostly in very old cars, what a blast, going up the Peak in the snow!
Remember, that Denver and Colorado Springs was a big draw for people who were suffering from Consumption (Tuberculosis) as it was considered the best palliative relief for those symptom. Many of the hospitals where founded as Tuberculosis Sanatoriums. Many rest homes were developed for people who retired from industries that cause lung problems. That is why the Union Printers Home was located in the Springs because the cool dry air was helpful for lung diseases.

I can remember people in my youth with severe asthma relocated to the very dry southwest in Arizona from New York because of the reputed low pollen. I do not think that is the case today with the burgeoning areas with big growth which brings more vegetation but there are many remote and sparsely desert areas that probably have low pollen, very low humidity and are beneficial to some.

I have been here for almost 33 years and the brown cloud is very much diminished over the years with the new environmental controls of autos, industry and ban on fireplace use.

There are some historical references that indicate that there was a brown cloud in the early days of settlement because it is a dry area, dust can at times be a problem and Denver does sit in a bowl, as you noted. Adding the people and the industry increased it but surprisingly more vegetation and trees decreased the dust.

It is still has very low humidity and the air is helpful for many. However, the micro-climate has changed, as in parts of Arizona, because a larger population brings more moisture with planting and watering of vegetation, which is not indigenious to the region.

It really comes down to the climate that you find satisfactory for your own needs. I think many people view warmer climates as the best when a cold climate area as not very beneficial--I think that is not necessarily so for all. So, if people are moving from the colder north and think that the areas with no snow will be the best for all, they are very much mistaken. Places like Marquette could very well be a much better place to live and retire.

Livecontent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement