U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-20-2011, 09:09 PM
 
Location: State of Superior
8,628 posts, read 13,905,271 times
Reputation: 2770

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBaker View Post
Why don't you post it on the Michigan forum where you will have an interested and captive audience?

It is simply futile to try and convince people who are happy in their chosen location for retirement to embrace the notion of retiring to Marquette, MI.

I am sure you realize that Florida is filled with retirees from Michigan. There is some reason they left and more than likely it was to escape the cold. Many people simply do not like cold.
For the first time , there are more people leaving Florida than coming in.
My posts ARE on Facebook and the Michigan forum.cd.. Seems the retirement forum has a lot of hostel , MEAN, unhappy people. I thought I would give it one more try...I guess I am out of here for good, I hope everyone is happy.At 70 I do not need this negative talk. bad for your health.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-21-2011, 05:09 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles area
14,018 posts, read 17,763,041 times
Reputation: 32309
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
For the first time , there are more people leaving Florida than coming in.
My posts ARE on Facebook and the Michigan forum.cd.. Seems the retirement forum has a lot of hostel , MEAN, unhappy people. I thought I would give it one more try...I guess I am out of here for good, I hope everyone is happy.At 70 I do not need this negative talk. bad for your health.
While the decision whether to continue posting on City-Data in general or in the Retirement Forum in particular is yours alone, aren't you over-reacting ("out of here for good")? You have received some flak (part of it from me) about the obsessive/complusive nature of your posts about Marquette, not for your advocacy of Marquette per se.

Not everyone who is critical is necessarily "hostile (note spelling), mean, unhappy". I have been reading this Retirement Forum for a year and a half, and I have noticed a few, not "a lot of", such people. The vast majority seem to be nice, generally supportive, and comfortable in their own skin.

However, it is the nature of public discussion forums that there will be criticisms, disagreements, and "negative talk". It is true everywhere, not just on City-Data. There is no escaping it, so we all have a choice - we can accept the reality even if we don't care for it and continue to participate for the good things (and there is much good), or we can take our ball and go home. There is no right or wrong choice between those two, as it is a personal decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2011, 06:31 AM
 
Location: State of Superior
8,628 posts, read 13,905,271 times
Reputation: 2770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escort Rider View Post
While the decision whether to continue posting on City-Data in general or in the Retirement Forum in particular is yours alone, aren't you over-reacting ("out of here for good")? You have received some flak (part of it from me) about the obsessive/complusive nature of your posts about Marquette, not for your advocacy of Marquette per se.

Not everyone who is critical is necessarily "hostile (note spelling), mean, unhappy". I have been reading this Retirement Forum for a year and a half, and I have noticed a few, not "a lot of", such people. The vast majority seem to be nice, generally supportive, and comfortable in their own skin.

However, it is the nature of public discussion forums that there will be criticisms, disagreements, and "negative talk". It is true everywhere, not just on City-Data. There is no escaping it, so we all have a choice - we can accept the reality even if we don't care for it and continue to participate for the good things (and there is much good), or we can take our ball and go home. There is no right or wrong choice between those two, as it is a personal decision.
I of coarse understand what you say, however , I detect something on the Retirement forum that rubs me the wrong way , and only causes more fight back on my part. I do have a compulsive , determined, nature. In many ways that's what got me through life this far. There seems to be a little more kick back on the Retirement forum. This is the second time, a few weeks ago my posts were erased " because of off topic", which I totally disagree, but , I know I am only a guest here, it obvious.... I may come back to this Forum, one never knows. The only reason I added my Marquette award status to Retirement was to inform the readers. Instead, its working the wrong way. No problems on the Michigan Forum at all. I think otere are more people out there that comes to, likes, the UP other than those Down starers. I was just trying to reach them. We are not really a part of Michigan proper, only by charter ,Politics.taxes do we have anything common with lower Michigan. I am just trying to find a way to Dispel the notion that the UP is a dreadful place, a frozen tundra, which it is not. I know I am fighting an uphill battle. More downstate's go on vacation east and south than ever have set foot in the UP. Its too bad there is not a UP forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2011, 10:25 AM
 
28,287 posts, read 39,947,386 times
Reputation: 36799
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
I of coarse understand what you say, however , I detect something on the Retirement forum that rubs me the wrong way , and only causes more fight back on my part. I do have a compulsive , determined, nature. In many ways that's what got me through life this far. There seems to be a little more kick back on the Retirement forum. This is the second time, a few weeks ago my posts were erased " because of off topic", which I totally disagree, but , I know I am only a guest here, it obvious.... I may come back to this Forum, one never knows. The only reason I added my Marquette award status to Retirement was to inform the readers. Instead, its working the wrong way. No problems on the Michigan Forum at all. I think otere are more people out there that comes to, likes, the UP other than those Down starers. I was just trying to reach them. We are not really a part of Michigan proper, only by charter ,Politics.taxes do we have anything common with lower Michigan. I am just trying to find a way to Dispel the notion that the UP is a dreadful place, a frozen tundra, which it is not. I know I am fighting an uphill battle. More downstate's go on vacation east and south than ever have set foot in the UP. Its too bad there is not a UP forum.
Just for reference: Marquette has won another award!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2011, 10:59 AM
 
5,090 posts, read 13,558,822 times
Reputation: 6928
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Maybe on second thought I should tell about the bad and not always the good, on and on, like a broken record I am told. OK, now , we have most days the highest gas prices in Michigan. Food prices are higher due to the great distance it has to be trucked. Home prices and apartment rentals are higher than any other place in the UP. I lived in a 2 bedroom apt. for 2 years while building my house, My rent was 1200.00 a month. There are places just as nice in the burbs around Chicago , for less. Another thing, We do have a couple of Malls , but if you want a serious mall the long drive to Appleton, Wi. can be a problem. Also , the UP has very few people, we have 1/3rd the size of Michigan as a whole , but less than 5 per cent of the people. This makes for a delicate balance , The closing of a major business or factory can upset our jobs picture. Unemployment ,since the closing of the worlds largest airbase ( KI Saywer) in the late nineties still remains about 9 per cent, good times and bad, makes little difference.Lets see what else... we had 4 people drown on our city shore last year. The big bakery closed its doors, US 41 can be a hassle, always busy and some of us hate Michigan turns. If you live by a snowmachine trail, the noise day and night can be bad. You can not get a good steak in any market up here ( aged beef) for any price. Many of the finer restaurants can be expensive, and we lack a good SW Tex/mex as well as a lot of other ethnic dining I had in the Big City. Its a 7 hour drive to Chicago, for that " city Fix" and for those items like furniture, etc, you can,t get here. many of the stores will only Carry a limited supply of any one item , so often sold out and you have to wait a week for the truck to restock.
I know there are more things on the negative side , I just can't think what they are now. I am sure someone will remind me ( us ) on these threads.
This post does give some good important information why some people do not want to live is these less populated areas, other than weather.

I actually enjoyed his posts because it did highlight many of the good features of the Great Lakes area which is ignored. Sure he is a bit obsessed but I think it is important to know about these little known areas of the country.

We hear too much about the areas that are in the current vogue. Many people just "follow the leader" and pile into these areas and then they become less attractive. I think that is what did happen to many areas of California. Also, I believe it is now happening in areas of Colorado. Colorado cities continues to top the lists of best places to live but I think that has someone diminished their appeal and certainly increased the cost of housing, as people are streaming into these cities.

There are many other areas of the country that are also lesser known that are a good place to live and a great place to retire. When I came to Colorado, almost 33 years ago, it was not always on peoples radar but was known and starting to be more popular. Now, it is growing fast which gives it some good characteristics but does remove some of what it was. If I had to do it again, I would probably seek out a city that were not as well known and hope that it continue to remain a little unknown, so as to preserve the quality of life.

Livecontent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top