U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2011, 01:46 PM

13,300 posts, read 10,499,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Look - it is obvious you think the Tea Party folks are the root of all evil, lol.

Nope, read carefully I said the TEA BAGGERS! I'm very aware of the difference between the two eventhough many other people don't including the Teapartiers themselves

I just find it hilarious (tho perplexing why the public would buy it) that - how many?- a handful of freshman Congressmen are being portrayed as having so much power! ROFLMAO! Now think about it. You have to have a majority to pass legislation. How the hell can a couple dozen people be holding up Jack Squat? I mean - talk about a MINORITY!

They are only the minority in name only, they are backed by the republican party, in most cases reluctantly. They have as much power as the republican party, who BTW control the House

As far as Congressional salaries - that doesn't upset me. What upsets me is the same thing that upsets me about ALL gubment workers - it's the pension and bennies! Tell me how it is fair for my tax dollars to fund the largesse that is available to gubment employees - all of 'em - after they retire?????

Do you know how much the average government worker earns? Do you realize that because of the stupid wars the VA employees are swamped with injured vets? I guess that you did not know that the federal employees have had a COLA freeze for the last two years, but the politicians have kept ALL of their benefit untouched? So tell me why does someone that makes less than 35,000.00 (GS5) with benefits that THEY pay for at a high rate bother you and someone that makes six figures and controls your finanacial future and does not even work a solid year does not? I like the way that those high salary SOB deflect on the lowly government employees instead of taking cuts in THEIR wages

And yes, lobbyists and special interest groups rule the world. I think we all agree on that.

May I remind you . . . since the beginning of this country . . . it has always been the opposing party's drive to remove the sitting President from his seat. It is silly to pretend like this is the first time that has occurred, ha ha ha. If you have lived much of a life at all, surely you noticed that phenomena for the last 50 or so years.
That is true but I have NEVER heard of it being a priority over what they were sent to Washington for in the first place! The Tea baggers said that their goal is to make the president a one termer. They did not say anything about getting the country on the right foot or even providing jobs (after they got in) the first thing that they fought for was tax breaks for the wealthy!

Old 09-20-2011, 01:47 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,179,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
It's in pretty bad shape economically, but it's not the worst of all the states (last time I read about it). Not broke yet. Trying hard not to get there.

I get a double-dose of it, though, living in San Diego. San Diego is also not broke ... yet. Plus we have politicians who are in bed with developers, and nobody in power seems to give a damn about the people.
It makes me feel like 99% of politicians out there (both sides of the aisle! state level and federal level!) are in it for themselves. I wonder when We, the People lost our voice?

Old 09-20-2011, 01:48 PM

16,133 posts, read 20,826,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
That is true but I have NEVER heard of it being a priority over what they were sent to Washington for in the first place! The Tea baggers said that their goal is to make the president a one termer. They did not say anything about getting the country on the right foot or even providing jobs (after they got in) the first thing that they fought for was tax breaks for the wealthy!
The Tea Party decided that they would rather destroy America than allow Obama to be President, no surprise.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:53 PM

12,671 posts, read 21,059,830 times
It maybe true but they were dumb and stupid enough to trust Madoff.

Retirement is suppose to be about a diversified portfolio not a single common stock like Enron and Worldcom.

Let's hear how they spent their money in those 40 years?

SS is the last thing I want to rely on. I will treat SS as lunch money for me when I retire hopefully. Most likely will donate it.

Losing a spouse can mean you inherit the assets.

Having a kid is a LIABILITY. Think and plan before having one.

Life happens, stuff happens but if you have a Plan B then you will always be OK.

You were dumb if you invested your money in Worldcom and Enron alone.

Retirement is suppose to be a well-diversified portfolio investing in different sectors. So even Worldcom and Enron fails, you will still be ok.

Divorce should NOT be a set back. Get a pre-nup.

You can get disability income and some get paid a lot on disability depending on the type of insurance they have.

Quote:
Absolutely the truth.

Most folks who have worked for 40 plus years and are now retired or looking at retirement (or at NOT being able to retire!) never expected to "depend" on social security. However, they were fully aware that the money was being taken out of their checks and invested for them, as a safety net (gubment term, not mine!) should they need it.

Anyone who has weathered the ups and downs of the economy since the 60s, raised a family, put kids through college, bought a home - has very likely also faced some medical situations (hope they had insurance!), could have lost a spouse, may have been in an accident, likely served in Viet Nam, may have found themselves scraping by for a lot of those years without much $$ to put into ANY fund. Or they could have had money and lost a sizeable chunk of their assets with a divorce. LIFE HAPPENS, to paraphrase John Lennon.

I honestly don't know anyone who graduated w/ me from high school (and the guys were facing VN draft, may I add) . . . who said "Gosh, I hope the next 40 years, I work my arse off, be a good parent, employee and citizen, have a vacation now and then, see my kids off to college, do a little fishing (or gardening, or make some pottery) . . . and find myself at 65 (fill in blank: still in debt, in bad health, raising grandchildren and living on a string, as a widow w/ no assets, etc).

Ask the folks who had their pensions invested in funds that held WorldCom or Enron in them how they feel about scraping and saving and then seeing it go <poof>.

No one at 18 looks ahead and says - "I am gonna take a low-paying job, barely scrape by, end up w/ two divorces, disabled, and living in subsidized apartments eating cat food at 65 on a SS payment of $660./month."

Life happens.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:54 PM

13,300 posts, read 10,499,316 times
Quote:
I feel sure you could, too! And I wish they would give me back mine!

I ask you just to consider this . . . altho I think most financial planners and brokers are bottom feeders . . . really . . . could they have done a much worse job than the federal gubment itself has done? Than Congress has done in robbing those funds for other programs?
Truthfully, they are one and the same. If you look at some of the finanacial folks that sit besides President Obama, some of them sat with Clinton, Bush I and Bush II. This is why nothing ever gets done as far as finanacial reform, because the same people bounce back and forth from working for places like Lehman/Saks to the Federal Reserves and back.

Old Bernie was not the only one who should have went to jail. Those who dealt in derivatives, insider trading, and the rest of those "white Collar Crimes" should go to a STATE PRISON and not one of those country clubs for min security prisoners. I bet that would stem some of the nonsense

Old 09-20-2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Every politician says they hope their party gets the opposition's party out. And actually, the clip that was shown on TV of a politician saying it was his duty to make Obama a one-term President was NOT a Tea Party person - it was Mitch McConnell. See how the press has twisted things around til you attribute that statement to someone who didn't even say it? (But again, I could pull you up quotes of every election since I first voted where some politician said that about the sitting President - and so could you! You know you could).

The Tea Party members are just a handful of people. All registered Republicans are not Tea Party followers. However, they were elected on the basis of coming to Washington to CUT THE BUDGET. That is what their constituents wanted them to do - and that is what they have steadfastly said they were gonna do. I mean - we fuss about our elected officials not doing what We, the People ask them to do - and these guys ARE DOING WHAT THEY WERE SENT TO DO. So . . . ???

There has been no legislation about anything to do with "tax breaks for the wealthy." Yet, folks keep saying this. THERE WAS NO LEGISLATION EVER ON THE TABLE PROPOSING TAX BREAKS FOR ANYONE. The legislation has been to raise taxes on everyone making $250K and above and this is what Obama was saying all along.

Again - another myth perpetuated by talking media heads. I am not trying to give you a hard time, Simetime - cause I think you are just as frustrated and upset about the way things are going in this country as I am. I think we both are sick and tired of the BS from Washington. But truly - I think you have been listening to people who are putting a spin on the facts.

Dont' get me wrong - I think it is time for the GOP to just shut the hell up about increasing taxes. It isn't gonna kill folks to pay a little more if they are making big bucks.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Truthfully, they are one and the same. If you look at some of the finanacial folks that sit besides President Obama, some of them sat with Clinton, Bush I and Bush II. This is why nothing ever gets done as far as finanacial reform, because the same people bounce back and forth from working for places like Lehman/Saks to the Federal Reserves and back.

Old Bernie was not the only one who should have went to jail. Those who dealt in derivatives, insider trading, and the rest of those "white Collar Crimes" should go to a STATE PRISON and not one of those country clubs for min security prisoners. I bet that would stem some of the nonsense
I will never understand why people haven't been indicted for that mess.

I keep asking that - writing to CNN, for ex. - and no one addresses it. I really would like to know why no one is in jail for creating this financial mess that has cost us all, one way or the other.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:09 PM

12,671 posts, read 21,059,830 times
Quote:
How about the vast majority of the population now on Social Security were not:
1. Born with a silver spoon
2. Never had a chance to save, considering many of them lived through the depression
3. May not had a job that had any kind of investment plans such as 401k
4. Were only taught to save and not to invest
5. Were never giving the opportunity to an education as to how to invest

I really think that people who did have the opportunity to plan for their retirement should not thumb their noses at those who did not
Majority of people who not born rich and/or with a silver spoon.
Anyone can save money even working for minimum wage. You just have to give up some other things and be persistent.

The Depression and the The Great Recession (We just had) does not apply to everyone. Infact, I benefited from the down market as I bought more shares at a lower price.

Taught to save and not invest? This is the individual's fault that only saved. No one is going to knock at your door and teach you about investing,.

What do you mean not given an opportunity to an education? Education is FREE on the internet and in the library. Its a matter of interest and how hungry you are.

This is USA not a third world country.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:14 PM

16,133 posts, read 20,826,624 times
Quote:
Welcome to 2012 Republican candidates

Before anyone goes out to defend the Republicans they should get paid in advance. If the enemy doesn't get them the Tea Party will

Old 09-20-2011, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
It maybe true but they were dumb and stupid enough to trust Madoff.

Retirement is suppose to be about a diversified portfolio not a single common stock like Enron and Worldcom.

Let's hear how they spent their money in those 40 years?

SS is the last thing I want to rely on. I will treat SS as lunch money for me when I retire hopefully. Most likely will donate it.

Losing a spouse can mean you inherit the assets.

Having a kid is a LIABILITY. Think and plan before having one.

Life happens, stuff happens but if you have a Plan B then you will always be OK.

You were dumb if you invested your money in Worldcom and Enron alone.

Retirement is suppose to be a well-diversified portfolio investing in different sectors. So even Worldcom and Enron fails, you will still be ok.

Divorce should NOT be a set back. Get a pre-nup.

You can get disability income and some get paid a lot on disability depending on the type of insurance they have.
This is not meant to offend you, TexasUser, cause it is refreshing to know that someone young thinks he/she has figured things out and is determined not to make the "mistakes" others have made . . . but really - you have a lot to learn about how life really works. There are very few things that end up working on in life the way we plan them - good and bad. All the planning in the world can change in a heartbeat, and learning this is part of a maturing process.

You are never gonna be able to control everything that happens in your life. You think you can now. You think you won't have a child you didn't plan to have, or make a bad investment, or lose your job, or have a terrible car accident, or a hurricane that floods your house and your insurance won't pay for, or be married to someone w/ a terminal disease and insurance that has a lifetime cap on it so you can't afford to provide him/her the care they need . . . you think these things only happen to others, or to the ignorant, or the naive, or the foolish.

But that is not how life works. Plan, yes . . . but in the end, planning can only take us so far. Even contingency planning can only take us so far.

As I believe most of the posters here who are over 65 will agree . . . the things that throw us most for a loop are not the ones we planned for - they are the random incidences that occur that we COULD NOT FORESEE - those things we couldn't plan for . . . like having a child with a rare form of cancer - and depleting all your resources to pay for experimental treatment.

When bad things happen to YOU, personally, it won't mean very much when someone else comes along and says . . . "I am sorry you lost your house in that fire, but it really is your own fault you didn't figure out you should have changed the terms on your Homeowners insurance policy."

Really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or