U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-20-2011, 08:00 PM
 
Location: Arizona
419 posts, read 658,273 times
Reputation: 862

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Let's not forget about real estate!

Is there anyone here who didn't lose a lot of money?
I am one of the lucky ones who made quite a bit of money in Phoenix real estate. I sold my investments and home before the bust.

The couple who bought my home in the Spring of 2005 have lost over 100,000 dollars in value. They are good people who did all of the right things in purchasing a home but like so many others were victimized by the system.

Without the money I made in real estate, I would have been up a creek withoutout a paddle in retirement. While I was in the work force there were very few companies offering any type of retirement plans and many of those companies went out of business years ago. No retirement plan coupled with low wages did not paint a very rosy picture for a single mother trying to save for retirement.

 
Old 09-20-2011, 08:25 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles area
14,018 posts, read 17,747,361 times
Reputation: 32309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Post #13 was fine. And I have all the compassion of Attila the Hun when it comes to criminals. But addicts, whether of drugs or alcohol have an illness and I'm not comfortable with just throwing them away. Unfortunately, lack of treatment and appropriate facilities inevitably leads to the criminalization of the mentally ill and others. It's a cycle that needs to be broken and not by neglect and disregard. That was my point, however clumsily made.

Surprise! I was interested.
And indeed your point is an excellent one. I also hate to see people just "thrown away". But addicts need treatment. Part of what I was saying, or attempting to say, is that just giving money to them on the street is not helping them if they turn around and use it to buy drugs and/or alcohol.
 
Old 09-20-2011, 08:27 PM
 
Location: SW MO
23,605 posts, read 31,497,588 times
Reputation: 29076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escort Rider View Post
And indeed your point is an excellent one. I also hate to see people just "thrown away". But addicts need treatment. Part of what I was saying, or attempting to say, is that just giving money to them on the street is not helping them if they turn around and use it to buy drugs and/or alcohol.
Quite right!
 
Old 09-21-2011, 06:26 AM
 
Location: Sierra Vista, AZ
16,133 posts, read 20,831,348 times
Reputation: 8293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Quite right!
Another good argument for socialized medicine, why is Health Care the Employers responsibility.
 
Old 09-21-2011, 07:16 AM
 
Location: The Land of Reason
13,300 posts, read 10,500,602 times
Reputation: 3541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
I am one of the Wall Street guys.
How does this work? Linking SS to the stock market?
Apparently you don't remember Bush feeble attempt to link ss to wall st? Have you heard from some of those Tea baggers who are insistant on dismantling SS and let people invest in the stock market?
 
Old 09-21-2011, 07:26 AM
 
Location: The Land of Reason
13,300 posts, read 10,500,602 times
Reputation: 3541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Real poor people do not live in USA. Atleast the poor folks in USA have opportunity. Some of the folks outside of USA work for $1 a day.

Why should I have sympathy for some stupid 'emotional decision' they made in life?

How are they born with 2 strikes?

There are people on streets who are bums and don't want to work. Alcoholics, etc.
Wow, dude do you realize that you can be a stroke or a car crash away from being broke?

1. un or undereducated due to the massive cuts in the education system (strike 1)

2. generational, parents were poor and/or uneducated (strike 2)

3. Lack of employment or under employment thus no room to save/invest (strike 3)

4. health issues (mental or physical) (strike 4)

5. lack of opportunity due to varying factors (racism, location, criminal history ect) (strike 5)

BTW everyone on the streets are not addicts or bums, many are victims of circumstance (divorce, incest, rape, mental illness ect)
 
Old 09-21-2011, 07:33 AM
 
Location: The Land of Reason
13,300 posts, read 10,500,602 times
Reputation: 3541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Pension is a benefit unlike SS entitlement. I took a hit in the 2008 Market crash but I took advantage by buying more shares at a cheaper. Then I got extraordinary gains in the bull market.
I guess that it never occurred to you that everyone does not have the same oppotunities that you have.
 
Old 09-21-2011, 07:34 AM
 
Location: SW MO
23,605 posts, read 31,497,588 times
Reputation: 29076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Another good argument for socialized medicine, why is Health Care the Employers responsibility.
Or conversely, why isn't it the individual's responsibility?

Yes! I understand that today's costs can be out of the reach of many but I'm still a great believer in personal responsibility. To that end, when seeking employment lo these many years ago, one factor of my must-have criteria for finding and accepting positions was family health care coverage. It's been a constant and stood me in good stead ever since.

Mind you, I am not opposed to universal health care, per se. But what I am vehemently opposed to is FORCED participation with fines for not falling in step and maintaining your personal freedom. I'm not aware of any other country that holds a hammer over the heads of its citizens in that manner regarding medical services. It's not just unconstitutional, it's anti-American.

This country used to be known for the self-reliance of its people. Now the sheeple are verging on acquiescence to nanny government/total control over their lives. So much for independence. Pity!
 
Old 09-21-2011, 10:30 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,186,293 times
Reputation: 22375
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
I guess that it never occurred to you that everyone does not have the same oppotunities that you have.
No kidding. Or as self-involved. He doesn't want kids cause they cost too much. Most people will make all sorts of sacrifices to have a family - and take good care of them. And yes, that can be terribly expensive but it is FAMILY for heaven's sake. What good is a financially stable life if there is no one to share it with. Some retirement.
 
Old 09-21-2011, 10:49 AM
 
Location: Franklin Lakes, NJ
174 posts, read 393,664 times
Reputation: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Real poor people do not live in USA. Atleast the poor folks in USA have opportunity. Some of the folks outside of USA work for $1 a day.

Why should I have sympathy for some stupid 'emotional decision' they made in life?

How are they born with 2 strikes?

There are people on streets who are bums and don't want to work. Alcoholics, etc.
Texas:

I few things addressing your post:

My point was in comparing apples to apples. That is why I put in the reference to this country in my post. I'm aware that we're living in Disneyland compared to third world nations. This discussion is focused on those who live on social security only as a means of support. When I was growing up in poverty in this land of plenty I didn't compare myself to starving children in, say, Africa. I just knew that I was poor. I now have the means to try to allieviate some of the suffering in Africa and I do- a personal decision. I see lack here in my country as well. I think we have the means to do something about that and I'll work politically towards that goal.

I didn't ask for your sympathy about emotional decisions that people make that didn't enhance their economic standing. I just pointed it out as a reason why some people may have sacificed their earning potential because of someone else. An example would be having to take care of someone you love because they need you. Maybe you never experienced this. Live long enough and you probably will.

Where do I begin to address the inequalities of life with you? If you cannot see how some of us, through sheer accident of birth, are more blessed then others then I really don't know what to say. Personally I always thought that the measure of a person is the ability to see things through the eyes of another person. Some people, through ability, opportunity or just plain dumb luck can rise above adverse circumstances. Others didn't.

Those bums are human beings. That was a mother's child. He or she is a child of God and still worthy of my compassion and help. Most of them have serious mental and emotional problems. No one chooses, if they're of sound mind, to sleep on a sidewalk. You don't know their story. At this point they are probably unemployable so what job are you talking about. Let's try and fix that. I have no problem in taxing you and me to give them a helping hand- if they are willing and able to take it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top