U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2011, 01:45 PM

12,671 posts, read 21,064,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
You really cannot look outside of yourself can you? How in the hell can you compare your old azz with a newborn child? I just figured it out, you are one of those "special people" are'nt you?
I have. Been there done that.

Old 09-22-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
NewEnglandGirl brings up some good points.

TexasUser, you have not answered her questions. I'm particularly interested in knowing why you have to take care of your mother (I'm assuming financially?). Was she relying only on Social Security? I'm smelling a whiff of hypocrisy here.
She was a Housewife. Back then, women did not work. Nothing that I could control. It is what it is. Very little education. NEVER worked for money in her life.

Old 09-22-2011, 01:56 PM

13,300 posts, read 10,500,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
I have. Been there done that.
Sadly, I don't believe you If you could you would be able to look at things from a wider prespective then you do.

Old 09-22-2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:
I like kids. I like my niece BUT the cost is expensive. It takes about $250K to raise a child.

It takes away your freedom. People with children usually complain about finance and other stuff.
So basically you did not have children because of the cost? Using that logic I should not buy a car, home or any other big ticket item. If people like you were the majority in this country the economy would crash and there would be zero population growth.......COMMIE!

Old 09-22-2011, 02:11 PM

Negative.

I replied to NewEngland about that.

Finance is not an issue for us. She has good health benefits. Also she does not need to work.

Father passed away long time ago.

I cannot control any of the above. Future is what counts.

I don't like to discuss negatives and my problems in life to anyone. This is not their problem anyway.

What do you mean how little I pay SS? Its deducted from my paychecks.

You paid into SS so you should get every penny of it regardless of if you rely on it or not.

I am well aware of the unfortunate health circumstances and it could happen to me today-tomorrow-a month down the road.

I do like Suze's. Her eyes blink a lot. Too much coffee?
I listen to lot of people. I like Jim Cramer on CNBC. I also day trade stocks too.

No investment is guaranteed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Perhaps his mom is an immigrant to this country so has no social security benefits - or she is still in another country and he sends her money. Or maybe she and his dad are first generation immigrants and paid little into the social security system. Maybe the reason he is so hyped about the topic of SS is - he sees how little SS pays and so has these ideas about how dumb we all are to rely on SS.

If that is the basis for this thread, then here are my thoughts: assaulting people and calling them dumb or idiots b/c they have had life circumstances that prevented them from amassing wealth and security for retirement is not productive.

Suze Orman's approach works. People listen to her b/c she knows how to share info in a format that enlightens without condescending. If TexasUser hopes to "awaken" the public to financial strategies he feels are "guaranteed" to ensure a stable retirement portfolio . . . he needs to take some tips from Suze as to how to share info and encourage folks . . . not condescend to them.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
I think the OP is trying to feed his own ego by ostracizing others that he considers are beneath him.
Negative.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Sadly, I don't believe you If you could you would be able to look at things from a wider prespective then you do.
I have had disasters in my life too but I don't discuss that.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:17 PM

Quote:
I have had disasters in my life too but I don't discuss that.
We all have to some degree or another, but to be aware that someone else's plight can be far worst then yours and still be able to show some sort of compassion makes it easier to look outside of onseself

Old 09-22-2011, 02:35 PM

Quote:
So basically you did not have children because of the cost? Using that logic I should not buy a car, home or any other big ticket item. If people like you were the majority in this country the economy would crash and there would be zero population growth.......COMMIE!
Not only Cost but overall freedom. I like to do stuff in life and I like to party.

You NEED a car to get to places and they are cheap. Sure I can take public transportation if I wanted to.

People in this country to learn below and/or within their means and quit borrowing when you can't pay it off. Quit spending on credit card to impress your family/friends.

A home can be an investment but thats whole another topic.
People in China save a lot more then USA and they are doing ok.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
We all have to some degree or another, but to be aware that someone else's plight can be far worst then yours and still be able to show some sort of compassion makes it easier to look outside of onseself
The only person that can solve my problem is MYSELF!
Do you think Doctor's really care about you?

I donate money to the poor too and do volunteer service to raise money for the needy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or