U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-22-2011, 08:10 PM
 
Location: Metropolis IL
1,602 posts, read 1,893,637 times
Reputation: 2352

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
It is only YOU that can change your lifestyle. Not the Gov't, not the Congress and not Obama.
I don't get your point. And there wasn't anything about ME in my statement.

 
Old 09-22-2011, 08:12 PM
 
12,671 posts, read 21,062,238 times
Reputation: 2625
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS2753 View Post
I agree, and today there's still areas of the country where wages and the cost of living is low, where retiring on SS is the norm. Most have paid for homes, and considering there's not near the taxes and deductions on SS as there is with a paycheck, their lifestyle remains the same.
You can always give yourself a raise by education and experience.
 
Old 09-22-2011, 08:16 PM
 
12,671 posts, read 21,062,238 times
Reputation: 2625
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS2753 View Post
There's many who share the OP's sentiments. If you want a heavy dose of it, head over to this site:

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Most of the members have accumulated 7 figure portfolios, and will bash anyone who hasn't done likewise. SS recipients aren't the only targets, anyone on any type of government pension is fair game as well.
Thanks. I will check out that site.
I am not here to bash anyone here though.
 
Old 09-22-2011, 08:17 PM
 
12,671 posts, read 21,062,238 times
Reputation: 2625
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS2753 View Post
I don't get your point. And there wasn't anything about ME in my statement.
Not you. Just in general.
 
Old 09-22-2011, 09:05 PM
 
Location: Metropolis IL
1,602 posts, read 1,893,637 times
Reputation: 2352
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
How about the vast majority of the population now on Social Security were not:
1. Born with a silver spoon
2. Never had a chance to save, considering many of them lived through the depression
3. May not had a job that had any kind of investment plans such as 401k
4. Were only taught to save and not to invest
5. Were never giving the opportunity to an education as to how to invest

I really think that people who did have the opportunity to plan for their retirement should not thumb their noses at those who did not
I wonder how many of the 30-40 year old anti government entitlement crowd, have been heavily subsidized by their parents, to get where they are in life today? Same principle, different source, at different points in one's life.
 
Old 09-23-2011, 06:18 AM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 18,982,141 times
Reputation: 15649
Quote:
Originally Posted by louise50 View Post
After reading your posts, Does anyone else on here, think that the original Poster is just trying to gets his "kicks" here and is enjoying the feedback, because in my opinion, no one can be this naive and uninformed of the present state of the economy. I doubt seriously that there isn't a person in the US that hasn't been affected financially in the present economy. Whether it be a relative , friend , or an acquaintance . It's going to be very interesting if anyone cares enough to watch his future posts as I feel assured, He or someone close to him will be affected.
He says he is supporting his mother, so she at least is one person close to him who hasn't done as well as he claims we all should do (no offense made to the poster's mother, just pointing out an obvious observation).

He is probably an inside trader doing really well at the expense of so many others.

In his defense, we do not know what country he is comparing the US to (he says he's Asian)...perhaps he honestly feels that this is the land of unlimited opportunity, and because he has found a fantastic niche in which to do so well, he feels we all regardless of our circumstances can easily find ours.
 
Old 09-23-2011, 08:27 AM
 
Location: The Land of Reason
13,300 posts, read 10,499,316 times
Reputation: 3541
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS2753 View Post
I wonder how many of the 30-40 year old anti government entitlement crowd, have been heavily subsidized by their parents, to get where they are in life today? Same principle, different source, at different points in one's life.
True, you know the difference in todays world? Code words that people do not read further into. An example of this would be "less government regulations" meaning: Less restrictions on how much that a company can pollute the air and water.

Todays 30-40 year olds have no idea how much of their childhoods were "subsidized" in one form or another, and it seems like the people 40+ have forgotten about it
 
Old 09-23-2011, 08:38 AM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
56,104 posts, read 54,597,263 times
Reputation: 66501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
When you say 'minority' , what do you mean by that?

This is the parents fault for having this child? Why should the child have to suffer?

Lets talk about this couple's health first? Why was this child born with complications? Also, they took a RISK by having this child. Even I was born with lot of complications. I have plenty of health issues then the a normal person on the planet so I do NOT complain.
Do you think there is always a "reason" or something that can be traced to something the parents did...so you can blame them?

I have a friend who has an 18-year-old son. He was born with over 100 anomalies. Part of his brain is missing, so he has the approximately mentality of a 4-month-old. He wears a size 4 toddler clothing. His body is badly twisted. He's blind. He is still alive because his heart and kidneys are strong.

No one has any idea why he was born this way. Because his pelvic bone on one side never formed, all they can determine is that whatever happened to him happened between 3 and 6 weeks after gestation because that's when bone marrow forms. His parents did not use drugs, nor were they exposed to any toxins that they are aware of. The doctors have no idea why this boy's deformities occurred.

I have the feeling that your nice little neat wrapped-up package idea of life where there's always a plan and an answer is going to come back and bite you bigtime someday.
 
Old 09-23-2011, 08:51 AM
 
Location: The Land of Reason
13,300 posts, read 10,499,316 times
Reputation: 3541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
It is only YOU that can change your lifestyle. Not the Gov't, not the Congress and not Obama.
You are right! This is why the jails are filling up, many people are not waiting for the government to do anything. I have spoke to quite a few drug dealers and that is the very same attitude that they have. "Im going improve my own lifestyle, why should I wait for the government to get paid?"---thug on the street
 
Old 09-23-2011, 12:53 PM
 
12,671 posts, read 21,062,238 times
Reputation: 2625
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS2753 View Post
I wonder how many of the 30-40 year old anti government entitlement crowd, have been heavily subsidized by their parents, to get where they are in life today? Same principle, different source, at different points in one's life.
Parents subsidizing is private! They chose to give their kid a better instead of struggle. There is nothing wrong with that if they can afford to do it. Others had to start from scratch, thats how life is. Maybe the poor parents should not have children if they are going to make their child suffer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top