U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2011, 01:01 PM

12,671 posts, read 21,066,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
He says he is supporting his mother, so she at least is one person close to him who hasn't done as well as he claims we all should do (no offense made to the poster's mother, just pointing out an obvious observation).

He is probably an inside trader doing really well at the expense of so many others.

In his defense, we do not know what country he is comparing the US to (he says he's Asian)...perhaps he honestly feels that this is the land of unlimited opportunity, and because he has found a fantastic niche in which to do so well, he feels we all regardless of our circumstances can easily find ours.
My mother did not have the opportunity but she does not need to worry about that.

I am just like you and I. In trading stocks, its a risk. You can lose as much as you can gain. Its business. I have the same resources as anyone on this forum.

Let's compare the GDP growth to the second largest economy which is China.

Did you know that we are powerhouse! Do you know the average stock market return in the past 80 years?

Old 09-23-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
True, you know the difference in todays world? Code words that people do not read further into. An example of this would be "less government regulations" meaning: Less restrictions on how much that a company can pollute the air and water.

Todays 30-40 year olds have no idea how much of their childhoods were "subsidized" in one form or another, and it seems like the people 40+ have forgotten about it
Elaborate on the 30-40 year olds?

Old 09-23-2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:
True, you know the difference in todays world? Code words that people do not read further into. An example of this would be "less government regulations" meaning: Less restrictions on how much that a company can pollute the air and water.

Todays 30-40 year olds have no idea how much of their childhoods were "subsidized" in one form or another, and it seems like the people 40+ have forgotten about it
Also, there are a lot of more billionaires and millionaires above 40+ then under 40.

Old 09-23-2011, 01:05 PM

Lets look at the history of the parents that gave birth also.

I was born with defects too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Do you think there is always a "reason" or something that can be traced to something the parents did...so you can blame them?

I have a friend who has an 18-year-old son. He was born with over 100 anomalies. Part of his brain is missing, so he has the approximately mentality of a 4-month-old. He wears a size 4 toddler clothing. His body is badly twisted. He's blind. He is still alive because his heart and kidneys are strong.

No one has any idea why he was born this way. Because his pelvic bone on one side never formed, all they can determine is that whatever happened to him happened between 3 and 6 weeks after gestation because that's when bone marrow forms. His parents did not use drugs, nor were they exposed to any toxins that they are aware of. The doctors have no idea why this boy's deformities occurred.

I have the feeling that your nice little neat wrapped-up package idea of life where there's always a plan and an answer is going to come back and bite you bigtime someday.

Old 09-23-2011, 01:18 PM

Quote:
You are right! This is why the jails are filling up, many people are not waiting for the government to do anything. I have spoke to quite a few drug dealers and that is the very same attitude that they have. "Im going improve my own lifestyle, why should I wait for the government to get paid?"---thug on the street
There are bad people in jail. This is not the good people's fault.

Old 09-23-2011, 01:26 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,502,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
I was born with defects too.
God knows we're aware of that!

Old 09-23-2011, 01:44 PM

1,603 posts, read 1,894,628 times
Quote:
You can always give yourself a raise by education and experience.
You need to save that rhetoric for high school students and 20 somethings. This is a retirement forum. We're old and beaten down by life, and have little resilience for change. Increasing education and experience doesn't matter at this point.

And do you really think a bunch of 55+ year old's, are going to listen to some anonymous 35 year old know-it-all on an internet forum?

Old 09-23-2011, 01:53 PM

7,603 posts, read 9,459,597 times
Quote:
Majority of people who not born rich and/or with a silver spoon.
Anyone can save money even working for minimum wage. You just have to give up some other things and be persistent.

The Depression and the The Great Recession (We just had) does not apply to everyone. Infact, I benefited from the down market as I bought more shares at a lower price.

Taught to save and not invest? This is the individual's fault that only saved. No one is going to knock at your door and teach you about investing,.

What do you mean not given an opportunity to an education? Education is FREE on the internet and in the library. Its a matter of interest and how hungry you are.

This is USA not a third world country.
Your initial statement was virtually an accusation, which is why people are taking exception to it..

There is a way to express a sentiment without offending loads of people, and your opening remark certainly wasn't it...

Old 09-23-2011, 02:03 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,502,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS2753 View Post
You need to save that rhetoric for high school students and 20 somethings. This is a retirement forum. We're old and beaten down by life, and have little resilience for change. Increasing education and experience doesn't matter at this point.

And do you really think a bunch of 55+ year old's, are going to listen to some anonymous 35 year old know-it-all on an internet forum?
The biggest difference is that we've actually lived life.

This entire thread, beginning with the opening post, is an indictment of seniors and nothing more than senior bashing. It's also illogical, insensitive and really dumb.. But that hasn't stopped the OP. Nothing will except extinguishing him.

Time for me to take my own advice!

Old 09-23-2011, 02:05 PM

1,603 posts, read 1,894,628 times
Quote:
Parents subsidizing is private! They chose to give their kid a better instead of struggle. There is nothing wrong with that if they can afford to do it. Others had to start from scratch, thats how life is. Maybe the poor parents should not have children if they are going to make their child suffer.
You're missing the point again. This is not a contention of where the subsidy comes from. Nor is it a question whether either subsidy is right or wrong.

I've watched your generation grow up. You've been coddled since birth. Parents with life long investment plans, to make sure all you have to do for college is show up. Any academic deficiencies are lobbied away through the parent's negotiations with teachers.

Problem with getting a job after college? Let dad make a few phone calls. If all else fails, move back to your childhood bedroom, and cocoon yourself until the skies clear.

Then all of a sudden, sometime in your 30's you hit the mother lode. You're King of the World. And everybody else is a loser. Then there's that thing called the income tax, that you really don't like paying. Because most of it goes to those losers, that just didn't try as hard as you did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or