U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 08:10 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,997,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
I am also old ...
I don't think so. Old folks don't party much.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:15 PM

86,093 posts, read 72,575,594 times
Quote:
I am aware of all the happenings in life. I thought you can file bankruptcy on medical bills?

It should be smart to do a pre-nuptial agreement don't you think you protect yoru assets?

Most companies do 401K's and Roth 401K's now which has a far more chance of a greater return at retirement plus tax advantages.

With proper education and patience, you should not have to worry about losses in the stock market.

Why rely on your spouse alone for money?

There is disability insurance and attractive ones.

I thought you can get insurance to protect yourself from lawsuits? How come they did not get proper insurance?

'
What you speak of did not exist 50-60 years ago.
Only the rich movie stars had pre-nups.
College was only for the rich and connected.
There was no 401K.
Many companies did not offer pensions to blue collar workers.
And those that did were not hefty pensions either.
Many women were stay at home moms.

At least talk in context.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:21 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,590,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Being wealthy was never a goal when I was growing up. Getting educated, learning how to make correct choices, love of famiy, loyalty, consideration of others, honesty, integrity, hard work, earning enough money to support yourself, save, being happy -those were goals that I was taught by observation and example. I certainly never sat our 3 sons down and told them, "Now look, our goal in this family is to acquire inter-generational wealth and make sure that all successful generations are wealthier than the last."

Wealth does not equal happiness. Happiness is usually derived from a combination of many worthy goals.

Same here. Being wealthy was neither my parents' goal, nor my husband's parents' goal, nor mine, nor his, nor our children's.

No, wealth definitely does not equal happiness, and living within our limited means does not take away our contentment. In fact, I can attest that our life is much richer today living with one pension than it was 20 years ago when our combine income was 5X our obligations.

Living a good life, or a better life than one's parents, does not mean making more money than the last generation. In fact, my daughter's income today is triple what I earned when I was still working (and I earned good income then), but her goal for life is to live the way I taught her, which was the same lesson I learned from my father: "Ask yourself when you go to bed at night, that if you didn't wake up tomorrow morning, would your last day on earth the day that you did not do anything to make yourself unhappy, to cause anyone sadness, and to leave anything to regret? If you could say yes, that there were nothing you could do to make the day better, then you had lived a good life."

The first time I learned that lesson, I was 8 years old. I heard it many more times until I memorized it by heart. And I've tried my best to follow that lesson. God knows I failed half of the times, but the other half of the times, I knew I had done well, and I never needed a fat checkbook to feel proud of myself.

Last edited by Ol' Wanderer; 09-26-2011 at 08:39 PM..

Old 09-26-2011, 08:25 PM

12,671 posts, read 21,072,574 times
This is a good post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Being wealthy was never a goal when I was growing up. Getting educated, learning how to make correct choices, love of famiy, loyalty, consideration of others, honesty, integrity, hard work, earning enough money to support yourself, saving, being happy -those were goals that I was taught by observation and example. I certainly never sat our 3 sons down and told them, "Now look, our goal in this family is to acquire inter-generational wealth and make sure that all successful generations are wealthier than the last."

More than anything I want my children to be productive and happy. Wealth does not equal happiness. Happiness is usually derived from a combination of many worthy goals.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I don't think so. Old folks don't party much.
Yes we do.

Different kind of party.

Hugh Hefner does and he is in his 80's.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:27 PM

College tuition is at its highest point right now so how was college for the rich?

There was Pension back then. What about Military benefits?
WWII created lot of Military jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
What you speak of did not exist 50-60 years ago.
Only the rich movie stars had pre-nups.
College was only for the rich and connected.
There was no 401K.
Many companies did not offer pensions to blue collar workers.
And those that did were not hefty pensions either.
Many women were stay at home moms.

At least talk in context.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Yes we do.

Different kind of party.

Hugh Hefner does and he is in his 80's.
What year were you born (really)?

Old 09-26-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
What year were you born (really)?
Late 1970's.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Late 1970's.
Younger than my kids.

Old--yeah, right.

Anyway, with all your investment returns, what do you care about SS?

Old 09-26-2011, 09:17 PM

1,549 posts, read 2,394,658 times
I think i mistakingly replied to the OP's original question - thinking it was really a question.

I see now that it was more like something he was asking himself in a fit of ... *something* ...

Sorry i came in in the middle of this clusterfluff...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or