U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 10:11 PM

12,671 posts, read 21,062,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Younger than my kids.

Old--yeah, right.

Anyway, with all your investment returns, what do you care about SS?
I care a little bit because I put money into it. Its taken from my pay checks.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:33 PM

26 posts, read 79,284 times
most of what you say is not true...
most people now on social security ..yes lived through the depression...as children!
My parents are in their 80's...the invested and saved....only middle class. My father is not what I would call smart...but he was smart enough to invest and listen to this money adviser on talk radio...and they are scraping by...but very tight.
no they did not have 401 and were not taught how to invest...i was not either and am in my mid fifties.
SO like my father i had to educate myself...and i have had the bad luck of bad health so cannot work all my life like they been able too.

anyways...i just think that people should be able to live okay on social security...what about women who stayed home all their lives? they get hardly anything ....yet taking care of children was full time job and very important one!
Again i say...all more reason why health care in this country should be free for everyone...it should not be for profit. People's lives should be important to all of us...period.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:46 PM

16,527 posts, read 20,980,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
For Pete's sake, knock off the patronizing, multiple, incendiary and demeaning posts. Most here on a retirement board have raised children older than you and are not interested in your theory-laden/lacking-in-life-experience, judgmental diatribes. Too much wasted band width! I'm sure by now we're all suitably impressed.

This place needs a Presumptuous Youth Board!
There are many posts that I could quote here regarding the problems this thread has, I just picked this one as an example.

Thread temporarily closed for moderator review. Just looked at this monstrosity again for reference. Thread absolutely closed!

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 10-23-2011 at 09:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or