U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 09:16 PM

12,671 posts, read 21,056,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I hope OP is young! Shocking to think he/she might be old enough to know better, lol.
I am not that young but in my mid 30's.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:17 PM

16,133 posts, read 20,822,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
You were in Military?
Yes, of course you should collect SS.
So should anyone who paid in
What if I were a police officer?
a fireman?
a Teacher?

Old 09-19-2011, 09:25 PM

Welfare program need to go. Only people that need that are the ones on disability.

If you are capable of working then you don't need gov't help. It is not my fault that they keep having child after child aka Single mothers and father paying child support.

I see people paying with food stamps and then have a brand new cell phone lol

How come there are Section 8 housing in a very nice upscale neighborhood?

People who paid into the SS definately deserve a good chunk of it.

Quote:
I just wanna add . . . poverty is horrible, regardless of how a person got there. No one wants to see anyone, young or old, suffering in poverty.

My problem with placing blame is that some of the poverty in this country has been directly created by entitlements that have encouraged people to sit on their arses, having babies that up the check every month, and contributing nothing to society other than consumerism. I feel this country has made it possible for this behavior. Meanwhile, those in real need - the working poor, those w/ physical disability, the elderly - are limited as to what benefits they even qualify for, despite working all (or most) of their lives.

We talk about cutting entitlements but here is the rub: even tho I think most responsible folks would agree that we would like to kick the moochers off the welfare rolls - what happens to them once we do that? We have encouraged their lifestyle and they have scraped by under the radar w/ no education, a passle of kids, and the only thing they understand is gaming the system. What happens when there is no more "system?" We need to address the REASONS for poverty and correct those situations - but that ain't gonna happen. In this country, we only throw money at situations, until we have drained the coffers and now everyone is lining up to grab what part of the pie is left - and there seems to be a deliberate attempt to create animosity - class warfare, if you will - between those scraping by and those who have made a lot of $$$.

Social Security should be distinguished from other entitlements by referring to it as something like a "vested entitlement" since people paid into that system. We need to get real as to who really deserves what and based on something other than Roosevelt's New Deal policies and Johnson's Great Society guidelines, as it were.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:33 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,119 posts, read 7,568,091 times
I love the way our current crop of Politicians have suddenly created this "Entitlement" Umbrella.... Social Security is an entitlement, I've paid in for 35 years so far and your damn right I'm "entitled" to get some of my money back when I get 62.....
Welfare isn't an entitlement, it's a frikin handout, these damn politicians are convincing the younger generation that S.S. is some sort of welfare....It's not, we,ve put our money in, and the damn congress spent it. Now they are playing word games....

Old 09-19-2011, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Whew! This old combat vet (a decade or so before you were even born) can now rest easy and rid himself of the guit that accompanies every Social Security check I receive lest I benefit from something I payed into but didn't earn.

I'm SOOOOO relieved!
I pay SS also. It is deducted from my checks every time I get paid.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
I love the way our current crop of Politicians have suddenly created this "Entitlement" Umbrella.... Social Security is an entitlement, I've paid in for 35 years so far and your damn right I'm "entitled" to get some of my money back when I get 62.....
Welfare isn't an entitlement, it's a frikin handout, these damn politicians are convincing the younger generation that S.S. is some sort of welfare....It's not, we,ve put our money in, and the damn congress spent it. Now they are playing word games....
If you and I paid into SS over the years then thats OUR money. We worked for it. We should get EVERY penny of what we are suppose to get.

Welfare should be for the Disabled and the unfortunate period. Others needs to work and stop being lazy.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:46 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,119 posts, read 7,568,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
If you and I paid into SS over the years then thats OUR money. We worked for it. We should get EVERY penny of what we are suppose to get.

Welfare should be for the Disabled and the unfortunate period. Others needs to work and stop being lazy.
I completeley agree with you, just listen to what some of our presidential canidates are saying though....
They are lumping S.S. in with welfare, calling them both "entitlements" it's just B.S. they just don't want to pay back the cash they have taken from us workers

Old 09-19-2011, 09:51 PM

5,619 posts, read 8,551,029 times
Quote:
My point is . . . it is what it is. It doesn't matter WHY a person is struggling. If he or she is struggling, then that is the reality of their lives, regardless how they got to that point. There is no need to be judgmental, period.

They may be a felon and just out of prison . . . they may be an AIDs patient and lost everything and have no insurance and no one to help support them and their medical costs . . . they may be a widow whose hubby gambled the money away and left her w/ debt at his death. Or a person may have spent his entire life on gubment welfare, living in subsidized apartments, medicaid and food stamps.

What does it matter? Poverty is poverty, regardless how you got there.

It can be a lesson for others.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
I completeley agree with you, just listen to what some of our presidential canidates are saying though....
They are lumping S.S. in with welfare, calling them both "entitlements" it's just B.S. they just don't want to pay back the cash they have taken from us workers
Obama does not think that way.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:09 PM

REAL poverty is outside of the USA.

Try going to a third world country. Try Somalia and Ethiopia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or