Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2011, 12:21 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,726,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Apparently you don't remember Bush feeble attempt to link ss to wall st? Have you heard from some of those Tea baggers who are insistant on dismantling SS and let people invest in the stock market?
SS is the last thing I want to worry about in retirement.

I love the stock market and enjoy it.

Old 09-21-2011, 12:26 PM

Yes I am aware of that and I posted that earlier but that is beyond my control. However, one should have a plan for this. If you have good disability then you can earn godo checks. Some are making 6 figures while disabled.

If parents were poor then why did they have the child?

You can save at any income even minimum wage. You just have to make some sacrifices.

I have health issues also.

I know what racism is, trust me. Been through it and probably going through it now also.

Criminal history? Lol, that is not my problem.

There is no way to tell who is really homeless and who is a bum.

Quote:
Wow, dude do you realize that you can be a stroke or a car crash away from being broke?

1. un or undereducated due to the massive cuts in the education system (strike 1)

2. generational, parents were poor and/or uneducated (strike 2)

3. Lack of employment or under employment thus no room to save/invest (strike 3)

4. health issues (mental or physical) (strike 4)

5. lack of opportunity due to varying factors (racism, location, criminal history ect) (strike 5)

BTW everyone on the streets are not addicts or bums, many are victims of circumstance (divorce, incest, rape, mental illness ect)

Old 09-21-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
I guess that it never occurred to you that everyone does not have the same oppotunities that you have.
Sure they have. Give me some examples about NOT having the opportunity?

There are millions of stupid people in the country who do not take time to educate themselves.

People who don't take calculated risks will stay middle class and boring.

Old 09-21-2011, 12:30 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,330,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
I know what racism is, trust me. Been through it and probably going through it now also.
You can drop the victim card. It's not your race, whatever that may or may not be. It's your personality, or lack thereof.

Old 09-21-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
No kidding. Or as self-involved. He doesn't want kids cause they cost too much. Most people will make all sorts of sacrifices to have a family - and take good care of them. And yes, that can be terribly expensive but it is FAMILY for heaven's sake. What good is a financially stable life if there is no one to share it with. Some retirement.
Kids do cost a lot. Atlhough I love kids but I like to use my brians.

Sure, they will make sacrifices to make a family but quit complaining about being broke and not having enough money to support the family.

You don't have to be married and have kids to have a family. Don't forget your own parents. I have a Niece .

No one to share with huh? Enough gold diggers out there who want YOUR money. Remember the Fidelity story earlier.

Old 09-21-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
No kidding. Or as self-involved. He doesn't want kids cause they cost too much. Most people will make all sorts of sacrifices to have a family - and take good care of them. And yes, that can be terribly expensive but it is FAMILY for heaven's sake. What good is a financially stable life if there is no one to share it with. Some retirement.
I can donate money and make a difference in lot of people's lives.

Old 09-21-2011, 12:41 PM

Parents should NOT have children if they are going to be raised poor.
If I had a kid, I would want my child to drive the latest and the greatest car in high school. I would want all the kids in high school to be jeolous of my child.

We do not lack anything in USA. Its the greatest and the best on the planet. We produce the most billionaires and millionaires here by far.

I come from a South Asian culture so I know what is taking care of someone is. I take care of my mother.

Bums don't deserve my support. They should get their butt up and look for a job. Not my fault if they are Alcoholics, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERISAjunkie View Post
Texas:

I few things addressing your post:

My point was in comparing apples to apples. That is why I put in the reference to this country in my post. I'm aware that we're living in Disneyland compared to third world nations. This discussion is focused on those who live on social security only as a means of support. When I was growing up in poverty in this land of plenty I didn't compare myself to starving children in, say, Africa. I just knew that I was poor. I now have the means to try to allieviate some of the suffering in Africa and I do- a personal decision. I see lack here in my country as well. I think we have the means to do something about that and I'll work politically towards that goal.

I didn't ask for your sympathy about emotional decisions that people make that didn't enhance their economic standing. I just pointed it out as a reason why some people may have sacificed their earning potential because of someone else. An example would be having to take care of someone you love because they need you. Maybe you never experienced this. Live long enough and you probably will.

Where do I begin to address the inequalities of life with you? If you cannot see how some of us, through sheer accident of birth, are more blessed then others then I really don't know what to say. Personally I always thought that the measure of a person is the ability to see things through the eyes of another person. Some people, through ability, opportunity or just plain dumb luck can rise above adverse circumstances. Others didn't.

Those bums are human beings. That was a mother's child. He or she is a child of God and still worthy of my compassion and help. Most of them have serious mental and emotional problems. No one chooses, if they're of sound mind, to sleep on a sidewalk. You don't know their story. At this point they are probably unemployable so what job are you talking about. Let's try and fix that. I have no problem in taxing you and me to give them a helping hand- if they are willing and able to take it.

Old 09-21-2011, 01:13 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,269,881 times
Quote:
I have two sons, one is in the AF and the other is in college to top it all off my wife plans on going to law school. I can't imagine not leaving anything to my family if something would happen to me

Old 09-21-2011, 01:22 PM

5,284 posts, read 19,994,603 times
[quote=Texas User;20973431]Parents should NOT have children if they are going to be raised poor.
If I had a kid, I would want my child to drive the latest and the greatest car in high school. I would want all the kids in high school to be jeolous of my child.
QUOTE]

It is a very good thing that you did not become a parent - you are clueless.

Last edited by Cattknap; 09-21-2011 at 01:40 PM..

Old 09-21-2011, 01:37 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,269,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Sure they have. Give me some examples about NOT having the opportunity?

There are millions of stupid people in the country who do not take time to educate themselves.

People who don't take calculated risks will stay middle class and boring.
How about that minority urban kid who is at the mercy of uncaring and underfunded school system. On top of going to bed hungry every night he/she has to walk through several gang plagued blocks to get to and from school.

Hmm, can't relate? Ok how about the young man who lived all of his life in a rural small town, working at the local mill for mini-wage in an effort to save up enough money to go to college in the neighboring city. Unfortunately the mill closes and he is stuck with no job or the ability to travel to school?

Still can't? How about that young married couple who both had good jobs and after a couple of years of saving, they had a beautiful baby girl, who was born unfortunately with complications. The medical insurance did not cover the whole bil and what was left put the couple in debt that they could ill afford.

These are not just stories that I made up, this happens everyday in different parts of the country. So just because you were able to take advantage of your current situation does not mean everyone else is as fortunate

The really sad thing about it, was that two of the examples that I gave you were from first hand experiences the other was through someone that I knew
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement