Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 02:20 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,043,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
The biggest difference is that we've actually lived life.

This entire thread, beginning with the opening post, is an indictment of seniors and nothing more than senior bashing. It's also illogical, insensitive and really dumb.. But that hasn't stopped the OP. Nothing will except extinguishing him.

Time for me to take my own advice!
I agree. No more.

Old 09-23-2011, 02:36 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,314,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
There are bad people in jail. This is not the good people's fault.
Yea there are bad people who run the court system, the jails and even politics but yet many of them are not being held accountable for their crimes

Old 09-23-2011, 04:22 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS2753 View Post
You're missing the point again. This is not a contention of where the subsidy comes from. Nor is it a question whether either subsidy is right or wrong.

I've watched your generation grow up. You've been coddled since birth. Parents with life long investment plans, to make sure all you have to do for college is show up. Any academic deficiencies are lobbied away through the parent's negotiations with teachers.

Problem with getting a job after college? Let dad make a few phone calls. If all else fails, move back to your childhood bedroom, and cocoon yourself until the skies clear.

Then all of a sudden, sometime in your 30's you hit the mother lode. You're King of the World. And everybody else is a loser. Then there's that thing called the income tax, that you really don't like paying. Because most of it goes to those losers, that just didn't try as hard as you did.
It would be interesting to see the OP's bio...starting with family background (father, since the mother did not work and doesn't have to), then education, then who made the phone calls on his behalf, and finally, what he does for a living besides trade stock. A picture maybe, too, so we can really understand this unique point of view. And whomever the OP chooses to support with his money, why does that person or persons need to be supported?

Last edited by RiverBird; 09-23-2011 at 04:30 PM..

Old 09-23-2011, 07:30 PM

2,245 posts, read 3,007,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
It would be interesting to see the OP's bio...starting with family background (father, since the mother did not work and doesn't have to), then education, then who made the phone calls on his behalf, and finally, what he does for a living besides trade stock. A picture maybe, too, so we can really understand this unique point of view. And whomever the OP chooses to support with his money, why does that person or persons need to be supported?
There's exceptions to the rule, but for the most part the days of Horatio Alger stories are over. The successful person in their 30's today has nearly always had considerable family support to get where they are. But they can't differentiate their own abilities, from opportunity and chance.

For every one of these types, there's several others struggling with student loans and unemployment, or at least underemployment.

There's a fine line between Mark Zuckerberg and the kid working at Best Buy.

Old 09-24-2011, 06:28 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
Quote:
There's exceptions to the rule, but for the most part the days of Horatio Alger stories are over. The successful person in their 30's today has nearly always had considerable family support to get where they are. But they can't differentiate their own abilities, from opportunity and chance.

For every one of these types, there's several others struggling with student loans and unemployment, or at least underemployment.

I agree. Actually, it's not a fine line. It's a huge valley.

Old 09-24-2011, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I agree. Actually, it's not a fine line. It's a huge valley.
I meant in intelligence and potential. But yes, the end result is a huge valley.

Old 09-24-2011, 06:04 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,122,956 times
Quote:
You're missing the point again. This is not a contention of where the subsidy comes from. Nor is it a question whether either subsidy is right or wrong.

I've watched your generation grow up. You've been coddled since birth. Parents with life long investment plans, to make sure all you have to do for college is show up. Any academic deficiencies are lobbied away through the parent's negotiations with teachers.

Problem with getting a job after college? Let dad make a few phone calls. If all else fails, move back to your childhood bedroom, and cocoon yourself until the skies clear.

Then all of a sudden, sometime in your 30's you hit the mother lode. You're King of the World. And everybody else is a loser. Then there's that thing called the income tax, that you really don't like paying. Because most of it goes to those losers, that just didn't try as hard as you did.
Wait what? Coddled? Exactly how?!?!(Sure some have, lots others haven't... SAME AS YOURS)

I started saving for retirement before my Parents (Except my Dad's pension, that's just years, not contribution)

Parents gave me $50 a week my first year of school, that's about it.

As far as them dealing with the school... Hardly. In fact, the reverse!

Interesting dreamworld you live in.

I'm not saying all are like me, but DEFINITELY not what you represent!

Quote:

Your imagination is in high gear.

Old 09-24-2011, 06:39 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,923,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillrunner View Post
I wonder why some people choose to play passive-aggressive, Monday morning Quarterback. Judging from your questions and answers, your idealistic youth and wet behind the ears attitude tells me that our future does not look bright.
Exactly,you have to have lived first life can deal some bitter blows and with naivity of youth you don't see it happening to you. While i'm here whoever heard of pre-nupts. years ago. Certainly not in my generation.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Wait what? Coddled? Exactly how?!?!(Sure some have, lots others haven't... SAME AS YOURS)

I started saving for retirement before my Parents (Except my Dad's pension, that's just years, not contribution)

Parents gave me $50 a week my first year of school, that's about it.

As far as them dealing with the school... Hardly. In fact, the reverse!

Interesting dreamworld you live in.

I'm not saying all are like me, but DEFINITELY not what you represent!

Your imagination is in high gear.
Your situation isn't typical. My observations are based on what I see and what I read. If anything, it's a nightmare, not a dream.

Old 09-26-2011, 05:21 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,798,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Your initial statement was virtually an accusation, which is why people are taking exception to it..

There is a way to express a sentiment without offending loads of people, and your opening remark certainly wasn't it...
I did not mean to offend anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement