Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 07:01 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,740,010 times

Advertisements

My husband would never go for the rooftop carrier. He's fussy about his drive, and wouldn't like the aerodynamic hit you take.

Good idea about measuring the car. I may just take all our suitcases and throw them into the back and see how they fit. Need to get a bin for shoes and I guess our winter wear can be thrown on top.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 07:19 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
It sounds to me like you have things very well planned out! As hubby always reminds me, it isn't like we are going to the outer regions of an undeveloped country - we can buy anything we forget but find we simply MUST HAVE! I hate to duplicate things and spend money unnecessarily, but so far - nothing has been forgotten that couldn't be replaced . . . the main thing we have found we must have a strategy for are his meds.

The other thing is . . . we have consistently packed less and less . . . just makes the destination so much nicer when there aren't loads of things to unpack on arrival.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:28 PM

Well, I am a bit of a control freak I guess. I was basically a high-priced worrier for about 25 years of my career, so I definitely like to plan things. My husband won't want to think about it until the day before, and then he'll assume I've thought of everything!

Oh, just thought of something--going to have to bring a few of our favorite cookbooks, for sure.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:36 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwanderer View Post
Well, I am a bit of a control freak I guess. I was basically a high-priced worrier for about 25 years of my career, so I definitely like to plan things. My husband won't want to think about it until the day before, and then he'll assume I've thought of everything!

Oh, just thought of something--going to have to bring a few of our favorite cookbooks, for sure.
Oh, yes, you gotta have the recipes! I will pass on a tip . . . do you have an iPhone? If not, will you be taking your computer?

I have several apps on my iPhone that have made it possible for me to skip out on copying recipes and carrying around cookbooks. And I also use cooks.com a lot while out of town.

For the adapted or "hard to find" recipes I have had for years, I have put them on my computer and - VOILA! - I can just pull them up when I need them.

Of course, sometimes, it is enjoyable to flip thru/ a favorite cookbook. I don't know I will ever be able to give those books up, regardless of what is available in digital form.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:50 PM

Thanks, that is a good tip. I do have lots of recipes on my computer, haven't tried to use my android yet, but could I guess.

But there's still those favourite recipes in those favourite books. Could take pictures of them, I guess.

Being in Florida for the winter, I'm going to have to find some great recipes for fish and seafood. Guess I'll have to look in another forum for ideas.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:35 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,943,958 times
Buy a couple of the Rubbermaid tubs for your trip south and load it with the things you know you will absolutely not need until you get there. Summer shoes, shorts, bathing suits, the appliances you mentioned etc. They are sturdy, waterproof and stack nicely either in the back of the car or on the seats. Most of the things you think you might forget can be purchased at a dollar store, Walmart or even a consignment store. Florida is full of "gently used, finders keepers, second time around, goodwill types of places" and there are often garage sales each weekend of estates where the family is trying to liquidate what may have been a second home for their parents. Lay out everything you think you will need, and then remove 1/2 of it!

Old 09-20-2011, 10:12 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,924,396 times
Those large plastic bags with zippers that you can take the air from are great for packing clothes, takes up much less space.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cushla View Post
Those large plastic bags with zippers that you can take the air from are great for packing clothes, takes up much less space.
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachbeach View Post
Buy a couple of the Rubbermaid tubs for your trip south and load it with the things you know you will absolutely not need until you get there. Summer shoes, shorts, bathing suits, the appliances you mentioned etc.
Both great ideas! I have a couple of those bags somewhere!

Old 09-23-2011, 02:06 PM

699 posts, read 1,706,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cushla View Post
These are great. I put them in the Rubbermaid bins, fill the bags, suck out the air and they conform pretty much to the bin. Easier to carry the bins around, but you could just fill a trunk up with these as well.

Old 09-23-2011, 02:13 PM

699 posts, read 1,706,178 times
We have friends who have a home in Anchorage, a summer cabin on the Kenai River, and a winter home in the South. They travel between the three with an overnight bag with vitamins and make up. Everything else--clothes, shoes, kitchen appliances, whatever--stays where it is at.

She said for the first few years she tried to cart stuff around. It was a nightmare trying to remember what was where. Now they have what they need at each place and call it good.

Once read where Ethel Kennedy had a full time staff person just to handle all the packing and unpacking as they moved between homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement